Working a ski season //

Author
  Topic Started By:  wildman    On:  Thu 16th January, 2014 at 13:52
wildman
#1  Working a ski season  16 Jan '14 at 13:52
Hello.

I'm thinking about taking a career break and heading over to work in a ski season.

Any suggestions where to start? I'm not too fussed about the work that I would be doing. I'm currently in a stats/analysis background. Not too sure how transferable this would be!?

Cheers.
         Jump to Top
SnowboardNut
Bristol / Meribel
#2  Re: Working a ski season  17 Jan '14 at 15:09
Howdy,

Being blunt for a sec, you've left it a bit late to get a decent choice of the options. But don't lose heart. If you can drive, stack fire wood and light a fire, carry out general maintenance work or have any experience in hospitality then you may still get work for the last 3 months of the season.

I'd get emailing all the companies you can find, transfer companies, tour operators and even the bars in resort. Couple of things to note. All recruitment needs to be done via the UK so be prepared for a skype interview as most the recruitment teams are now in resort, this leads me on to my next point. Being in the UK puts you at a disadvantage. There are literally hundreds of people in most of the main resorts now looking for work, either having left or been booted from the last one they had out there or who have gone out on a whim and a prayer. Your best bet, if you bank account is sufficiently flush, is to pick a resort and get out there, but this late on in the season and given the lack of snow across the Alps which in turn means lack of injuries coupled with a lot of people in resort looking for work could mean a shortage of jobs.

Another option is to get yourself on the facebook groups for each resort... examples of this are The Valley Echo / Jobs in the 3 valleys / Les 3 Vallees groups which cover the 3 Valleys of Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thorens.......

You need to get emailing and get exposing yourself (in a clean and professional manner!!) in as many places as possible.

Good luck, and if you want any more advice or help then gimme a shout.... its doable, but it wont be easy...... if all else fails theres always next year but get your applications in early - from May onwards.

In the mean time look up Belle De Neige's blog for an insight of resort life..... it's pretty much bang on the money.Click Here!!
Edited 17/01/2014 @ 15:12 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
skihappy
#3  Re: Working a ski season  31 Mar '14 at 11:30
Try the 'What's on in Bourg Saint Maurice' site too for Tigne, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere, Les Arcs, La Plagne etc. There are a few English companies based in Bourg too that you can access on the group.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort