Will education lower my chances of getting work? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  SnowmanJack    On:  Mon 7th April, 2014 at 21:34
SnowmanJack
#1  Will education lower my chances of getting work?  7 Apr '14 at 21:34
Hi,
Basically i've always wanted to be a ski tech. I turned 18 in January and now think i'm ready to do my first season. I am really worried that my education will lower my chances. I only have my GCSE's and that's all. They are alright grades, i think i have 9 A*-C grades. I went on to do a apprenticeship at 16 but i hated it and i developed depression. The only healthy option was to quit the apprenticeship. After I quit i've not really had any real work. I've made some money on eBay and do some odd jobs with my dad. I've done the bctt ski tech course and i've got some work experience in a ski workshop over the summer. I'm going to be learning how a real workshop do the servicing and get to help them out. I'm getting really nervous now that my cv will be weak and i wont stand a chance against others. Has anyone been in the same situation as me? I've booked a ticket for the job faire, which i'm excited for. As i've said, this has been my dream since i was 14 and now i'm the age to get out and do it, i've become really anxious that i might not make it.

Cheers,
Jack
         Jump to Top
SnowmanJack
#3  Re: Will education lower my chances of getting work?  8 Apr '14 at 10:25
In reply to Dinosaur (Post #2)
Thank you. I have overcome the depression. I had it when i was late 16. Now 18, i feel a lot maturer as well. Should i just exaggerate then? I'm looking for a job at the moment so i can get with a real employer so it shows that i can deal with people and follow instructions... But as i said in the summer i will be working in a real ski shop for experience. Hoping that will help out a lot.
         Jump to Top
Hollzz
#5  Re: Will education lower my chances of getting work?  2 Jun '14 at 16:50
Good for you

I'd recommend learning the basics of the language for the country you'll be applying to work in, especially ski jargon, if indeed you intend to work in the Alps. It will both enhance your CV and be useful in the job as you'll be working with locals, both colleagues and customers, as well as plenty of English speakers.

Good luck!
Alpe D'Huez 12/13 St Anton, Lech & Zurs 13/14
TUI/CrystalSki - www.holidayhypermarket.co.uk
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason