Who do i apply to? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  devox    On:  Fri 26th August, 2005 at 12:36
devox
#1  Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 12:36
Hi all,

First post here, so be gentle.

I really want to do a season either this year or next. But who are best people for me to apply to.

Im 21, I can board, I cant really cook and can't speak any other language than English.

Now all the negative bits are out the way I am a great team builder and am great at sales.

So I'm thinking of repping. If anyone can come up with any other suggestions along the lines of who to apply to and other roles i could look at i would really appreciate it.

Cheers all in advance.
Yeah I'm English, and course i can DRINK!!!
         Jump to Top
sleepy
#2  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 12:40
HI!!

Umm best thing to do is look at the jobs section of this site.

You could do a job like Plongeur or something...(washing dishes) so you dont have to speak French or cook and you can learn to board in your free time!

Goodluck!
         Jump to Top
AmyL
Manchester
#3  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 12:42
I suggest plongeur or kitchen porter - lots of mountain time and its a pretty stress free job!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#4  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 12:43
OK, so best thing is to read all the posts on here about the tour ops and see who you like the sound of. In general it is slightly harder to get a reps job first season, but not impossible.
Reps usually need (or should!) have a bit of French, so maybe you might want to look at kp (potwash) or an assistant host or hotel host kind of job where you are assisting / washing up / serving.

Total, Skiworld, Ski Olympic, Esprit, Ski Val all have chalet hotels where you could get a job, and you might get a reps job with any of them. If you can ski / board well then that might help the reps position as they often have to guide too....

Best advice is to look at the companies advertising on here and read up on the job descriptions and see if you think you could do it and apply!!!

Good luck!!!
         Jump to Top
devox
#5  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 13:00
Lets assume I learn how to cook. Whats chalet hosting like?

I'm assuming it's better than Plongeur.

Guys, fundamental question:

If i really try is it like a lottery getting a ski job, or is it more a case of being flexible enough to be willing to take on any role anywhere?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#6  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 13:41
No lottery - there are (unless you are a total muppet!!!) generally places for all.

To max your change apply to as many companies as you can find and apply not just for job you really want, but for ones that you woudn't mind doing either...

Chalethosting - maybe £10 more a week, but more responsibility. If you go for an assitant chalethost then you will be in a larger chalet (with 2 or 3 of you) and so won't have total responsibility, but will do breakfast on your own etc, and get more guest contact etc and a share in whatever tips you manage......

plong - just the gimp role - no responsibility - just do as you are told and then ride the mountain. perfect for an easy season!!!

take your pick!!!
         Jump to Top
sleepy
#7  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 13:46

Originally posted by devox

Lets assume I learn how to cook. Whats chalet hosting like?

I'm assuming it's better than Plongeur.

Guys, fundamental question:

If i really try is it like a lottery getting a ski job, or is it more a case of being flexible enough to be willing to take on any role anywhere?

Plongeur isnt that bad....the guys that plonged where I was working had SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much ski/boarding time....It was so unfair

Apart from one of them complained that he got a bad elbow from the repetitive movement of washing the dishes :

I'd say the WORST job is chambermaiding which is what I did.It was torture.But I still had fun!
Doesnt matter what you do really as long as you get time on the slopes
         Jump to Top
devox
#8  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 14:23
I swear it sounds like so much fun. I seriously hope i can find a job.

Guys seriously though, if i get a job as plong, are people just goign to take the piss all day. or is it not like that.

Role on Nov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#9  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 14:36
nope - coz as sleepy says, the plong has the most time on the mountain and can rock up v hungover etc and not have to think to wash his dishes!!!!
         Jump to Top
devox
#10  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 14:56
Ding Dong, the more I think about the season the more excited i get.

Rock On
         Jump to Top
sleepy
#11  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 15:07

Originally posted by devox

I swear it sounds like so much fun. I seriously hope i can find a job.

Guys seriously though, if i get a job as plong, are people just goign to take the piss all day. or is it not like that.

Role on Nov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They wont take the piss!! they'l just be fuming that you have all the time to board and they might hate you a little bit for it (jealousy!!)
Plus you wont have to deal with the customers and you can get away with looking like a tramp!

Its all good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go for the plonge and you wont regret it......unless your a girl,then I dont think you want to do it.Didnt actually see any girl plongeurs.
         Jump to Top
seejay
Val - Newcastle - Bucks
#12  Re: Who do i apply to?  26 Aug '05 at 15:40
I've done plonge work. Depending on the kitchen your working in it can be good craic. However... it is very mingin'. Be prepared to throw up as much as you wash on hangover days. ;)
[color=#FF0000:e61dce8b75] its all about the [/color:e61dce8b75]: Jib-Vid
2 points up.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview