Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!! //

Author
  Topic Started By:  charleybatt    On:  Sat 20th August, 2005 at 17:00
charleybatt
#1  Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  20 Aug '05 at 17:00
Hey,

Heading off to Whistler in Novemvber this winter with one of my friends and we are looking for some accommodation for the whole 6 month season at the moment. Does any one who has been there before have any tips on the best place to stay in Whistler? We were looking for accommodation as close to Whistler Village as possible, places like Brio and Cay have come up... don't know how good these are in terms of other young people, cost and general village/lift access. Also we have looked at sites like nativescom and seasonaires.com, are these a good option? they require paying upfront etc.
Hope you can help!

thanks a lot
C :
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#2  Re: Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  20 Aug '05 at 17:45

Originally posted by charleybatt

Hey,

Heading off to Whistler in Novemvber this winter with one of my friends and we are looking for some accommodation for the whole 6 month season at the moment. Does any one who has been there before have any tips on the best place to stay in Whistler? We were looking for accommodation as close to Whistler Village as possible, places like Brio and Cay have come up... don't know how good these are in terms of other young people, cost and general village/lift access. Also we have looked at sites like nativescom and seasonaires.com, are these a good option? they require paying upfront etc.
Hope you can help!

thanks a lot
C :

Iain... appologies if this is not pc.... but try having a look at epic.com it is a UK site similar to this one (other wise pick WTFH's brains when he gets back US and Canada are his pasions
         Jump to Top
bonzai
Squamish, Whistler & Vancouver
#3  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  20 Aug '05 at 22:01
If paying up front is an option for you then I can recommend somewhere in Whitegold (having stayed there myself last season) ... in fact it's the house in my profile pic. I have the owners email address if you wish to send me a private message. They rent out rooms for the 6 months of the winter.

I've stayed in Whitegold for each of the 3 seasons I've been in Whistler ... it is close to the village (12 minute walk) ... and the same distance from either the Blackcomb or Whistler lifts.

Unless you're right in the heart of the village (which is pricier and mainly apartments above the shops) then typically you'll find yourself in a shared house or a studio within a bigger house.
I can email you a detailed map which will show the various areas so you can get a better idea of where they really are in relation to the shops, lifts, bars, etc. Basically Whitegold is one big culdasack so there isn't much traffic. It is close to the Nesters Market (a smaller supermarket with better quality groceries than the main IGA supermarket in the village).
Brio is partly on a hill (depending which part you're in) and again is made up of big expensive houses. It's a similar distance to the village/lifts as Whitegold, on the opposite side of the village ... not as close to Blackcomb though.
Whistler Cay is north of Market Place (where the main supermarket is ... opposite end of the village from the lifts ... 10 min walk through the pedestrianised village stroll). This is mainly condos (spacious apartments & duplex's ... buildings split in to a few houses).
Another very popular area for seasonnaires is Alpine (near the leisure centre) ... about 12mins by bus from the lifts. About $60/month for a bus pass (this isn't one of the free buses included in the lift pass). Accomodation here is normally a little cheaper 'cos it's a bit further but again it's made up of lots of really nice big houses. There are seperate shops there so you don't need to go to the village for milk & bread. There's a good little cafe too that does take out meals.
Creekside is about half way from the village down to Function Junction ... too far for most people to walk, but there is a late night bus & plenty passing traffic for lifts. It has it's own lift connection to the main Whistler system ... only disadvantage I see in this is that takes longer to get over to Blackcomb which for me is where the best riding is. Having said that you can get up early for the bus & just go straight to the Blackcomb base. Creekside has all the shops, etc you would need. That's also where the petrol stations are as well as Dusties which serves great grub & has a good atmosphere.

Any questions ... drop me a private message and I will try to help.

One thing you will find if used to skiing in European resorts is there isn't really much in the way of ski in/ski out accomodation ... but it's also not a problem and just something you get used to. Besides you can always stop for the odd beer or ten before the stagger home
Time for my medication please nurse
         Jump to Top
jimbojones
leeds, vancouver, whistler, vd
#4  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  21 Aug '05 at 07:51
Ive got a similar problem have no ideas where to live!
im already in vancouver and going to head up to whistler in a couple of weeks to check it out and then hopefully get a job with the mountain.
does anyone know what there like to work for and whats a good job to do? repped last year in vt and had a blast but want to try something else thinking about working in the hirestores anyone done it, enjoyed it?

any help appreciated!

role on the snow!
         Jump to Top
bonzai
#5  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  21 Aug '05 at 09:34
Jimbo,
Check yourself in to www.shoestringlodge.com for a few days ... you'll meet some like minded people staying there & it's the cheapest option while you look for work. You're doing the right thing getting in there early.
If you want to work for a hire shop then try Summit (stop off at the Rocky Mountain ice cream & chocolate shop a few doors down from it ... it's kinda mandatory ) Summit is the closest hire shop to the Whistler gondola.

Good luck!
         Jump to Top
Suzie G
Leeds
#6  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  23 Aug '05 at 14:34
Try www.seasonit.co.uk for accomodation in Whistler. I stayed in Chalet Bon Ami last season and it was great- good location 5 mins walk from Whistler Village, well kitted out with everything you need and helpful chalet host.
         Jump to Top
bonzai
#7  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  23 Aug '05 at 15:20
I was going to make a comment about their estimates of walking time to the lifts being somewhat unrealistic ... especially for the one on Fitzsimmons as that is where I have stayed the last 3 seasons. However I guess most tour companies say everything is 5-10 mins away when the reality is often different. Just a wee pet hate of mine
         Jump to Top
alby
Herts
#8  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  24 Aug '05 at 20:02
Hey

Im also heading out to whistler this season. Just wondered has anyone stayed in the staff accommodation WB offerds??? Which one would you recommend. Im tempted by Glacier cos im missing my student days, though I've heards its quite far away from the village (and up that hill). How does ringing up to book an appointment with HOUSE work?? I know you need to, but is it still like first come first served??? Planning to get there a week before the fair, so have I got any chance of getting a bed? Or is it better to go with pre-booked accommodation

Thanks
         Jump to Top
bonzai
#9  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  25 Aug '05 at 07:39
This should answer some of your questions ... http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/residence/index.htm

There is a telephone number there so I suggest you give them a call as they will be the best people to answer any other questions you have.

The staff accomdation you are talking about is near Base 2 (the mid station of the gondola that goes from Whistler Village to Blackcomb) ... the gondola runs later than the rest as does the Magic chair from Blackcomb base so you can always have a couple of drinks after skiing & then get back home. There is also the staff housing bus that runs from the bus stop near the Whistler lifts ... so you wouldn't need to hike the road too often. Plus there are cars going up/down that road all the time so you can usually catch a lift.

I haven't stayed there myself so I can't be any more specific. The rooms are smaller than your average Whistler condo/house but also much cheaper.
         Jump to Top
alby
Herts
#10  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  26 Aug '05 at 14:05
thanks bonzai! was trying to save the international phone calling till i had to, but i didnt see their email address before
         Jump to Top
jh_16
Sydney, Australia and Breckenridge
#11  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  28 Aug '05 at 04:19
hey suzie... i just loooked at that place and i actually stayed in that house the season before and they have done it all up and stuff mind u i was paying half the price than what they are asking now crazy!!!!

when i was there they were asking 600 month canadian booyahh!!!!
         Jump to Top
braders
Leeds / Whistler
#12  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  31 Aug '05 at 20:33
epic.com ???

ive tried it, and .co.uk, and it aint skiing?! i gave it a quick google, and did u mean www.epicski.com ??
Deux Points!
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#13  Re: Where is best to stay in Whistler?!! Help!!  1 Sep '05 at 08:32

Originally posted by braders

epic.com ???

ive tried it, and .co.uk, and it aint skiing?! i gave it a quick google, and did u mean www.epicski.com ??

Yup, that's where she meant!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview