When is it too late? //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Gooderz    On:  Wed 7th September, 2005 at 19:23
Gooderz
Oldham
#1  When is it too late?  7 Sep '05 at 19:23
Ok ive been out of the country for a while and applied for a few ski jobs but been getting the impression that they are running out fast.

If I dont get a job then I am still planning on doing a shorter season and just being a bum with some money I have stored away.

Just a couple of questions...

When is the last point I can book accomodation by if I dont get a job? (and actually get somewhere decent and not too expensive)

If you just go out on your own and not work, how easy is it to actually find someone to ski with who is similar standard etc? Does everyone hate gap year ppl who dont work?

Hope I havent annoyed you too much with these common q's!
         Jump to Top
user10
#3  Re: When is it too late?  8 Sep '05 at 08:27
So cynical...so true!!!

Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#4  Re: When is it too late?  8 Sep '05 at 08:43
Would get a job if you can...... there is plenty of time left..... if gap year - skiworld, ski olympic, esprit, total etc

There are always plenty of people to ski with, just not first lift as they are all cleaniing and prepping!!!

The up-side to working is that you have a ready made set of people to ski/drink with and its easy to meet others via that - if you are out on your own it is a bit harder i would have thought.....
         Jump to Top
Amazon
Southampton..again.
#5  Re: When is it too late?  8 Sep '05 at 16:24
I got my job last season at the begining of Jan!

Got this year sorted now
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

05/06-Meribel/La Tania...Eventually Les Gets-Resort Rep
04/05-La Plagne (mostly)-Chalet Host
01/02-Tignes-Chalet Host
         Jump to Top
Reddmann
Madrid for now.......
#6  Re: never to late  8 Sep '05 at 17:03
i got a job at the beginning of last march ( alot of people leave/get injured) and they flew me out 2 days after accepting the job. Alot easier if you can cook
"If your breasts are too big, you will fall over....unless you wear a rucksack"
ivor cutler 1972
         Jump to Top
Gooderz
Oldham
#7  Re: When is it too late?  10 Sep '05 at 15:55
Im really feeling like I have no chance of getting a job, the only company that seem to take any interest are Mark Warner but they have no spaces left (or that is what they told me!). They said they might be able to interview me in 4 weeks time. I dont have much experience.

So to ask the question again... When is it too late to try and find seasonal accomodation?
I realise it can be found at any time, but I want something like Planet Subzero style so I have ppl to ski/drink with.

Also, in wanted to go to Vald'isere but no chance of that if im bummin... What resorts have good skiing and night life without bank destroying prices (mainly lift pass)?

PS - Sorry about nagging, but I hate searching on forums as they find random post with no relevence so im just being lazy and asking.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#8  Re: When is it too late?  10 Sep '05 at 18:44
That's what the search function is for - will give you all the info on planet subzero you will need.

There is never a too late for anything - just depends on who has got there first.... you can only try and see what happens. Try ringing / emailing planet subzero to find out!

On the resort front, the smaller the resort, the cheaper the lift pass. Try CVL 1650 for good nightlife with slightly less cheaper accom (but expensive lift pass)

Try Morzine, Val Thorens, La Plagne/Les Arcs, Flaine etc for cheaper living - but still lift pass will be expensive.......
         Jump to Top
Gooderz
Oldham
#10  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 13:36
Been rejected by 3 of those already and Ski-Val im sure said you had to be 21. Ill check though.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#11  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:33
try skiworld, esprit, total......
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#12  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:34

Originally posted by Gooderz

Im really feeling like I have no chance of getting a job...I dont have much experience.

Well, you are either a gibbering unemployable idiot, or you are simply not selling yourself enough. I suspect it may be the latter.

Personally, I think getting a job is the way to go. If you have 'money stored away' (hmph - how is this possible?) there are probably far better things you can spend it on than a ski season, since with a job, the season will effectively pay for itself. The money might be better used for something that wouldn't e.g. volunteering in Africa/doing the Peruvian Inca trail/actually keeping the bank balance in the black etc.

Unless you have applied to every single ski company that exists (I'm guessing, but I feel this is unlikely), then there is still hope for you yet! Perhaps you are not capitalising on your experience or highlighting your skills enough. I wouldn't be too influenced by age limits, you have nothing to lose by applying anyway. Just take your time over the applications and really think about how you can sell yourself to the recruiter.
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#13  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:37
bags - you been taking lessons from the dino??!!
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#14  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:40

Originally posted by rodent

bags - you been taking lessons from the dino??!!

What makes you say that!? I have always been intolerant.

Although the cricket is stressing me out big stylee so perhaps I'm a bit worse than usual this week-end. Praise the Lord for bad light...

Anyway it was meant to be a helpful comment!
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#15  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:42
It was v good - was impressed!!! Just the first sentence was a bit dino - esque (but in a good way!!)

You got the cricket on too???
I managed to make it to sainsburys and back in time for the start!!!

Hate to say it - but think will be a boring old draw!!! (i don't want us to win just coz it rained - thats wimpy!!!)
         Jump to Top
Gooderz
Oldham
#16  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:43
Ive applied for a lot of stuff in the past, just not jobs
Until recently I had barely any experience in this field, and I applied in July and got rejected, so then thought id get experience and apply again. But I already applied to alot the companies you are suggesting when I was not very qualified.
They dont seem to care if you are intelligent, good skier etc etc, just experience, which I only have 1 month of ... this is why im finding it so hard.
Most of the companies I applied to just didnt send anything back, a few actaully emailed/sent a letter and one said they were interested and didnt have any spaces.
Im gonna keep trying, but if i dont get a job im gonna be stuck at home, in the rain with nothing to do for 6 months!
Hard to take so I my have to eat up my bank accounts.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#17  Re: When is it too late?  11 Sep '05 at 14:47
What are their reasons??
I was 18 first season and got a chalet hosting job...
Have you looked at the Natives jobs pages and applied to all of them?? (Good list)

Generally the age is fairly irrelevant if you can do the job, and with something like hotel hosting / bed making / waiting/ressing anybody can do that....

What experinece you got?? Maybe you going for the wrong jobs??
Skiing ability is irrelevant to them, esp as that is what you are doing when not working for them!!!
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort