What to take? //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Weski    On:  Tue 6th September, 2011 at 19:10
Weski
Bristol
#1  What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 19:10
Hi Guys

I've finally taken the leap of faith out of the rat race and am set to do my first season in Meribel this year.

Besides the obvious such as ski gear and clothes do you have any advice on what else is useful to take? I have a healthy addiction to curry and poker so I was thinking of taking my magic spice box and poker set along with a few DVD's, plenty of toiletries, socks (naturally), condoms (hopefully) a couple of books and some vitamin C.

Much obliged.

Weski
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#2  Re: What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 20:07
Weskers,

Take a sense of humour with you, it will be essential. Also pack a very large dose of cynicism to be used in equal measure for both your employer and your punters.

I would not advise taking your dignity with you, leave it at home, it will only be ruined beyond all recognition after a season in a ski resort.

I remain,

Boggars

P.S. You only mentioned socks once; in any list of things to take for a season in the Alpes 'socks' should be used like a comma between each item. e.g. Ski, socks, poles, socks, boots, socks, thermals, socks....etc.
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
Nick_C
Stoke on trent
#3  Re: What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 20:12
One of the most useful tips I got is take a 4gang 3pin power strip. That way you only then need one French adapter (you will be luck if there's 2 sockets in your room) but can plug all charging in without hunting the adapter down. Also give it 3 meters or so because the French seem to put the sockets in the most unhelpful corner/behind the wardrobe.
         Jump to Top
Weski
Bristol
#4  Re: What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 21:45
Boggers and Mr C, thanks for the useful tips.

The extra plugs should help when I retire to my room for a bit of "me time". I was hoping to leave the cynicism at home with my current punters and employers but I guess I will take some of their charm to the mountains, along with additional socks.

The biggest concern is the lack of pasties and real cider but where there's a will there's a way.

God bless you.
         Jump to Top
Nick_C
Stoke on trent
#5  Re: What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 21:53
Cider should not be a problem -depends if you get seasoniares discount on it.

Along with the characteristics listen take some patience with you and a chill pill or two,it all works if you sit back and let it happen at it's own pace, you cannot rush a good season
         Jump to Top
Weski
Bristol
#6  Re: What to take?  6 Sep '11 at 22:03
Cheers mate, I feel like a kid at xmas with the nervous excitement of it all.
         Jump to Top
steelmoon
Manchester
#7  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 00:40
Alright mate,

Where you heading in Meribel? you got a job sorted already?

T
         Jump to Top
Abster
In a house in leafy Surrey
#8  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 10:00
Scoks that's all I can say as Nick C stole my suggestion ;)

An Ipod full of music that you like and enough variety so you don't get fed up with hearing the same 3 songs...
If you say gullible slowly, it sounds like oranges......
         Jump to Top
Weski
Bristol
#9  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 12:33
Just bought a Blues Harp so hopefully should be able to make my own music but will also make sure my gigga biteage is maxed out

Steelmon - I've managed to get a job with SkiBeat as a Driver/Oddjob man going out on the 3rd Dec. All I know is they call the accomadation "The Palace" which must make me a Prince
Are you out there as well?
         Jump to Top
Weski
Bristol
#10  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 12:34
P.S I'll be taking extra socks with me also.
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#12  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 13:30

Originally posted by Dinosaur

washng powder

Diners,

Two words that are an anathema to most of those working a season.

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
steelmoon
Manchester
#13  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 14:07
yeh got a few applications for barjobs on the go but i'll take anything for the season to be honest!

and either people on this board have an unhealthy obsession over socks or they are actually pretty useful. I didnt even ask what to take and was being lectured about em!

T
         Jump to Top
Weski
Bristol
#14  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 15:19
Good luck with the apps. I must've applied for about 20 jobs before I get an interview request from SkiBeat. Sounds like a good a gig though and was keen to get 3 vallees for my first season.

Keep us posted and hopefully be joining you for a beer soon.
         Jump to Top
tardyboy
London :(
#15  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 15:32
weski mate, i know the palace. and it is TRULY a palace. you have picked your self a great job, known the last couple of lads to do it and they always love it. Just make sure your nice to the Ski Total drivers too (we pick-up from the same spot in the mornings)
only (insert number here) days till the new season
         Jump to Top
Nick_C
Stoke on trent
#16  Re: What to take?  7 Sep '11 at 16:35

Originally posted by Abster

Scoks that's all I can say as Nick C stole my suggestion ;)

So I got it from you, well thank you loads.
It took my comfort level up to 11 Without it I would not have had alight anywhere near my bed.
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet