Useful advice & info about working this season //

Author
  Topic Started By:  alexk    On:  Mon 16th August, 2010 at 15:50
alexk
London
#1  Useful advice & info about working this season  16 Aug '10 at 15:50
This post has helpful info for non-chalet work or if you want to be a professional ski bum, but if you are looking for a chalet job and want to secure it before you go, then there are several tour operators currently recruiting and they are advertising their jobs right now on Natives.... you can register in our job seekers area here: http://jobs.natives.co.uk/job_seeker/login.php

and you can view and apply for jobs, and read further job seeking info here: http://jobs.natives.co.uk/ski_jobs/

You can also attend the Natives Jobs Fair in London on 23 Oct:
http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/jobsfair/index.html

And there is one at the Scottish Ski Show 16-17 Oct:
http://www.natives.co.uk/scotland-show/index.htm

Getting a job – advice from a seasoned skibum!
As always, I go through the articles in the various forums to get a feel for the seasonaires of the coming season. I have received a vast amount of job applications and had dialogues with numerous future seasonaires. Doing this process, I have noticed that, this year, people seem to be very nervous about going to the Alps without securing a job beforehand. On this point, I feel that I might be able to offer some helpful guidance from my long experience as a seasonaire!

A season was always and should still be, an opportunity to have the best 5 months of your life. Lots of skiing, choice of the best days, lots of partying ‘meeting’ new people, etc. I would suggest one option is to save enough cash pre season to get your ski pass and fund the first month or so. Secure your bed from home (check out Natives Seasonal Lets) to increase your job chances, and then you just need to work to fund being there. Part time, full time, whatever. Be prepared to do anything, shovel snow, clean toilets, wash dishes etc. Don’t forget why you are there. Just look out the window and I really don’t think it matters what you are doing job wise you will have a great time.

Most seasonaires need a job

There are not many of us who are lucky enough to head down to the Alps for a winter season and not work. Some people have saved all summer, some won’t eat for 6 months whilst in resort and a few have daddy’s credit card! However, the majority of us need to work in town to support our season, and in my experience there is about the right amount of people in town each year to fill the jobs available.

In late November and early December there are usually people doing rounds in town with their CVs, etc. These people will normally find something within a few days. It is normally the case that when they fist arrive not everything is open. They do the rounds each day, and as more and more businesses open for the season, more job opportunities present themselves – seasonaires with this attitude always get a job!

Be professional in your approach

Don’t be fooled into thinking that just because you are in a ski resort, the type of person employers are looking for changes or the standards drop. Employers want to offer a professional service, and even though we are all there to have fun, we must remember that whilst working, you may need to be a bit more pro! So wear the best jeans you took down with you (and not round your ass…) maybe a shirt etc! Employers are not looking to hire the coolest looking snow boarder! Having said that, I really believe that there are jobs in each resort for everyone.

With regards your CVs and applications. Most employers will ask for a picture. This is usually to put a face to the filing of the application but also to make sure you look presentable etc. We are not looking for pictures of you in a bar dancing, or posing topless (although for girls this could help) with your rugby mates.

Don’t be too picky – you are there to enjoy the snow, mountain and party scene

Be prepared to do whatever job! It really doesn’t matter about the job. You get to go skiing / snowboarding almost every day, and have a party each night. In fact one of the best jobs for ski time, booze time and no hassle is to be the dish guy in a hotel! The most popular jobs of bar tender, rep, etc. are so sought after that although there is no reason not to try for these, don’t get your hopes up. In my 1st season I started in a French restaurant washing dishes, then I did some transfers for a tour operator and before Christmas I had a full time job as a rep with a tour operator.

Start applying already from home

My advice pre season is to apply for any jobs advertised, and also send some e-mails to potential employers (There are dozens of ski shops, clothing stores, hotels, bars, restaurants etc.) make sure to mention that you have your season bed sorted, that you are coming down to the resort and that you will be coming in to introduce yourself and look for work. It is vital that when you get there you have a simple CV prepared. Just list your experience and skills!

What kind of job should you go for and what are the opportunities

Tour operator jobs are usually secured pre season, but sometimes they don’t let people choose the resort they work in.
I have listed below as many of the in-resort jobs I can think of, and this should give you some targets to head for and think about what you could do. Remember being flexible will help, so offering yourself part or full time is a good idea and a good starting point to get you in the door!

Hotels

Dish washer - Plounger

Cleaner

House keeper - chamber maid

Night porter

Waiter\waitress

Snow clearing

Security

Bar (French hotels may need French)

Reception (Languages essential)

Driver

Ski Shop

Ski Tech (training given)

Sales asst

Weekend extra help - great job as 2 12 hour shifts (sat/sun) then the week off!

Cleaners

Restaurants including mountain restaurants (100s of them in each town!!)

Dish washer

Waiter

Kitchen assistants

Chef (any experience in kitchens makes you very attractive in a ski resort)

Bar tender

Serving staff

Delivery guy

Cleaners

Bars

Doorman

Bar tenders

Busboys (glassies)

Security staff (been big helps!)

Snow clearers

Cleaners (loads ski time)

DJ and part time DJ

Supermarkets (one of the few places where you probably need French)

Sales asst

Cleaners

Checkout staff

Tour operator in resort recruitment

Extra staff / Chalet staff etc

Transfer rep (1 day work usually 50-100€ CASH))

Snow clearing at the chalets

And this is just a few… as you can see a ski resort needs A LOT of staff. The seasonal aspect means that a large majority of these jobs are open each year and waiting to be filled by you guys as season workers.

About the author

Jeremy “Jez” Kent is a seasonaires skibum gone professional. He has been in the Alps full time for the last 6 years - starting out working the odd weeks for years before that. He has spent seasons working in Val d’isere and Val Thorens initially as staff and is now partner in Saloon Group and Klub Summit operating in Val d’isere, Tignes and Val Thorens. Additionally, he works as an advisor to Alpservice’s seasonaires predominantly in Val Thorens with respect to jobs and how to get the best out of the season.

Jez Kent
Edited 19/08/2010 @ 09:49 Revision #3
Alex Kurkjian
Marketing Executive
Natives.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

263 Putney Bridge Road, London, SW15 2PU

E:alex@natives.co.uk
T:+44 20 8785 3888
F: +44 20 8780 3863

Natives.co.uk Limited registered office:
London Road, Sayers Common BN6 9HS
Registered company in England and Wales (Reg No.3972443)

Jump to Top
alexk
London
#3  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  16 Aug '10 at 16:14
Yep and if you are keen to fix yourself up a job then we've got upcoming Natives Job Fairs both at the Scottish Ski Show at the Glasgow SECC on 16-17 Oct and at the London Ski Show in Olympia on Sat 23 Oct so come and visit us there!

More info on the London one here: http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/jobsfair/index.html

and the Scottish one here: http://www.natives.co.uk/scotland-show/index.htm
Alex Kurkjian
Marketing Executive
Natives.co.uk

Jump to Top
alexk
London
#4  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  17 Aug '10 at 10:28
That info is helpful for non-chalet work and if you want to be a professional ski bum, but, if you are looking for a chalet job and want to secure it before you go, then there are several tour operators currently recruiting and are advertising their jobs right now on Natives.... and you can register in our job seekers area here: http://jobs.natives.co.uk/job_seeker/login.php

and you can view and apply for jobs, and read further job seeking info here: http://jobs.natives.co.uk/ski_jobs/
Alex Kurkjian
Marketing Executive
Natives.co.uk

Jump to Top
marcellus
Morillon
#5  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  17 Aug '10 at 12:58
Alexk - a good informative post which I'm sure users will find informative!!

(mind you yet another "friend" of Alp Service )
The Seasonal Accommodation Professionals.
We can help you find your dream home for the season.

www.livetheseason.com
         Jump to Top
ChrisHanson
Southampton, UK
#6  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  26 Aug '10 at 12:43
This is incredibly helpful. I will be taking this information on board for when I hope to do a season next Winter
         Jump to Top
tibandfib
#7  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  27 Aug '10 at 10:42
Lots of excellent advice here, however there are plenty of places with seasonal jobs that do not require any knowledge of French - e.g. Austria, Sweden, Italy, Canada, Japan ... and where you will meet a far more cosmopolitan group of guests and fellow workers than in the typical 'Anglo' resort in France
         Jump to Top
ka100
Durham
#8  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  22 Sep '10 at 12:06
Amazing post cheers! I will be wondering around Val Thorens CVs in hand during late november....

....unless your recruiting Jez ??
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#9  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  22 Sep '10 at 13:20
Thinking this shoudl be made STICKY ........ ???
EVERY TIME GRIFF GETS IN HIS HOT TUB - GOD KILLS A KITTEN.

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
jodielou
#2  Re: Useful advice & info about working this season  6 Dec '12 at 03:41
In reply to alexk (Post #1)
This is really helpful, I didnt realise there are so many different types of Jobs. Im looking to work in New Zealand and Ive head the season starts around late June, when would you recommend to start searching for jobs? Ive seen a few around at the min, but they all seem to be instructor jobs.

Any advice would be great

thanks

Jodie
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted!
- OFFERED - 6 bedroom chalet, SAMOENS, winter 18/19
- USA Yoga Ski Retreat
- Last minute to France / Austria / Switzerland
- Working as a resort/transfer driver
- How To Become A Ski / Snowboard Instructor
- Summer job in London - barbecue cookery school
- Transfer feb 13th Geneva to Meribel return 20th Fe
- Nordica Double Six Park / Pipe Ski Boots (UK10)
- Toulouse to Baqueira - Tuesday February 27