To work or not to work. //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Kramer    On:  Wed 28th September, 2005 at 19:32
Kramer
#1  To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 19:32
Hi everyone,

I'm in the fortunate position that next year I'll be looking at doing a season, and that I will have enough money saved that I won't have to work if I don't want to.

My thoughts are that I'll rent a two bedroom apartment for the season, take my car, and have friends out to stay each week for the whole season, and basically be an overgrown Billy.

However, some people reckon that if I did that, firstly I wouldn't get into the whole seasonnaire social resort thing, and secondly I'd get bored pretty quickly without some sort of work, and so recommend that I get some sort of bar-work for the social side as well.

What do you lot, who've got experience of this think?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#2  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 19:47
Where would you think of going?

If you can have friends stay pretty much all the time I doubt you would get too bored.

Are you aware of the costs of renting a 2 bedroom appartment

p.s. you have pm
         Jump to Top
Kramer
#3  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 19:51
I'm reckoning on about £10-15000 for a two bed apartment for the season, was thinking of possibly VDI, Meribel, Verbier, Cham, or Zermatt. That was going to be one of my later questions actually.
         Jump to Top
user206
#4  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 19:56
Hmm... fortunate though you are to be able to afford a 5 month holiday i think you run the risk of it being just that: a 5 month holiday.

Now i don't think you'll get bored but if you want to get into the whole season thing i think gettting some casual work will help.

Though don't let on your just doing it to meet people/ have a laugh / feel authentic... pretend you need the money
         Jump to Top
arno
#5  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 20:03
I did what you did and decided not to work. I did, however:

1. have friends out not every weekend but quite regularly

2. go on week-long ski touring trips on average once a month

3. do quite a lot of shadowing of lessons with a ski school as part of the BASI 3 qualification.

4. Help out a mountain guide friend of mine by picking him and clients up from runs which didn't end near a lift and driving them to a lift

So, my view is that just skiing every day might not be what you want but a full time job isn't either. Met one bloke who worked part time for ATS (the airport transfer people) which seemed a good compromise
         Jump to Top
Alastair
#6  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 20:09
Kramer, I did last season as a holiday. I didn't have much difficulty meeting people - get out to the bars early in the season before there are too many people around and you'll get known quite quickly and meet many of the other seasonairres.

I went to VT where I met a good number of really nice people who were working - and a surprising number who weren't!

I joined the Ski Club of GB, so that I could go skiing with the Ski Club reps when I wanted - good fun, and met a new bunch of people each week.

If you're having friends out each week for the whole season, I wouldn't bother with a job if you don't have to.

I'm doing the same thing this season, so I'm not bored yet.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#7  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 20:20
I dont know what type of job you would be looking at doing either... The benefit most people seem to get from working is fecking awful but free accomodation. For you to find a job that actually offered you real money as some kind of compensation for your time could be quite tricky.

As Arno points out there are other activities that you can get involved in out there if you feel you want to be more involved.
         Jump to Top
Kramer
#9  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 20:39
That sounds good techmonkey, would I get a job like that before the season, or whilst out in resort?

What about ski hosting?
         Jump to Top
Alastair
#11  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 21:05
As techmonkey says, transfer rep jobs are fairly easy to come by - you shouldn't have any difficulty getting one. Trouble is, transfer day is often the best/quietest day on the slopes!
         Jump to Top
Kramer
#13  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 21:15
Good info, thanks guys.

If friends are coming out, then I'll be encouraging them to book midweek flights to get cheap deals, and make it not so arduous to take them to and from the airport. I think I'll just play it by ear and see what it's like when I"m out there.

Out of interest, how is the seasonnaire experience better than having a five month extended holiday?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#14  Re: To work or not to work.  28 Sep '05 at 21:15
Yeah but if you do get up on a saturday with mates then there are hardly even any seasonnaires around as you say. It is beautiful.

The job does sound quite ideal though for someone out there in that position though. So long as you are willing for your guests to fend for themselves on the days you are working and then come back with stories about how wonderful and quiet the mountain was.

Oh and I think the prices you came up with are probably quite accurate. Depending on resort.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens