Thomson - Your views //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ralphpelly    On:  Thu 18th August, 2005 at 20:08
rodent
From Vail back to London
#65  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:44
Its simply a size thing.

If you have a total of 20 staff and can keep a tab on every member, on every booking and every guest you have total control over your operation.

If you have a total of 2000 staff (prob not that many tho!) and try to oversee all the booking made by thousands of travel agents as well as your own staff - ain't gonna happen. Hence the errors they make.

There are plenty of people who work for them and have a good experience, however there are also plenty of disgruntled staff who come on here looking for a different company to work for, so we hear about it.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#66  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:53

Originally posted by waitingforwinter

Where's the lack of self respect if you know exactly what you are going in to? Its your choice - the job is there take it or leave it. Most people are entirely happy with the situation - you aren't so you don't do it - that's fine by me but don't tell everyone else they have no self respect if they are happy doing what they are doing. A bit of humility and just getting on with the job you have agreed to do without whinging about it is what a lot of people out there could do with.

As helpful as this website is I dont think anyone that is going out for their first season really knows what they are signing up for. I agree it isn't going to change there is a near endless supply of people who have just finished uni etc... not really knowing what to do and wouldn't mind living in a ski resort for a while. I dont see many of them coming on here and saying how well treated and well run they thought their comapny was.

I was not talking about everyone working for a TO having no self respect. It is just annoying for me that I want to do repeat seasons and there are so many people willing to do it for a pittance that it is very difficult to find a position that offers you a decent salary. I am just dissapointed in the idea that it is the norm that people go on a ski season work their asses off and end up poorer at the end of the season than they were at the start
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#67  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:00

Originally posted by mista

As helpful as this website is I dont think anyone that is going out for their first season really knows what they are signing up for. I agree it isn't going to change there is a near endless supply of people who have just finished uni etc... not really knowing what to do and wouldn't mind living in a ski resort for a while. I dont see many of them coming on here and saying how well treated and well run they thought their comapny was.

I was not talking about everyone working for a TO having no self respect. It is just annoying for me that I want to do repeat seasons and there are so many people willing to do it for a pittance that it is very difficult to find a position that offers you a decent salary. I am just dissapointed in the idea that it is the norm that people go on a ski season work their asses off and end up poorer at the end of the season than they were at the start

I agree that it is very hard if you want to make a life out of it - whathever people say at some point 99% of people are going to start wondering what they are looking for in life if they do season after season on £100 a week - fun as it is it is not a long term prospect for most people.

If you want a positive though - if all ski jobs paid well and had great career prospects there is no way that there would be enough jobs to go round for the number of people who wanted to do them. How many people don't do more than one season because they want security/decent money etc. It would be a damn sight more competitive than it is. you'd have top chefs running all your chalets and most people who are doing it for the love of it now would be out of a job to people doing it for the money. Imagine how that would change the atmosphere in resort.
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#68  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:02
Mista you have a point, but in the grand scheme of things, if you want to make a job and life out of the industry you (mostly!) have to do a stint in the UK or in Cham / BSM office situation otherwise you will almost NEVER make enough money.

I agree that most people don't know what they are letting themselves in for and that it is alot harder work than people understand. BUT there is always disposable income so there is never any need to hike up the wages. This, (unless the french have their own way!) will never change.

I work in the UK side now which is good, but not as good as being out there, hence off to do next season, 3 years after last one. This is probably THE last one, but then to return to the UK side and get up the ladder that way and see what happens.

Any thoughts about trying the UK side????
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#69  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:06

Originally posted by waitingforwinter

If you want a positive though - if all ski jobs paid well and had great career prospects there is no way that there would be enough jobs to go round for the number of people who wanted to do them. How many people don't do more than one season because they want security/decent money etc. It would be a damn sight more competitive than it is. you'd have top chefs running all your chalets and most people who are doing it for the love of it now would be out of a job to people doing it for the money. Imagine how that would change the atmosphere in resort.

Sorry, I dont buy that, I'd rather work in a competitive place - I'd still do well...

But really, I dont mean that it should be better paid than anywhere else just that staff should expect to be paid a decent living salary. I do.

I dont think you will ever get people who dont want to spend time on the slopes moving country living in small towns like ski resorts. If it was more competitive then the people really doing it for the love of it would find a way to stay and get paid more money for it!
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#70  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:11

Originally posted by rodent

I might consider it if I get serious about life, at the moment though I think I have found a decent job that should hopefully give me time on the slopes, a decent wage and the ability to have a decent social life. I'm sure I'll still be able to find something to complain about though..
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#71  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:11

But really, I dont mean that it should be better paid than anywhere else just that staff should expect to be paid a decent living salary. I do.

What is a decent living salary, in your opinion?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#72  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:13

Originally posted by WTFH

Depends on the job really -> I wouldn't class 65 - 90 pounds a week as very decent though...
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#73  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:14

I might consider it if I get serious about life, at the moment though I think I have found a decent job that should hopefully give me time on the slopes, a decent wage and the ability to have a decent social life. I'm sure I'll still be able to find something to complain about though..

Way to go
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#74  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:15
The UK side isn't too bad - got out 3 times last year, but it doesn't compare to being there all season - so ROCK ON DECEMBER!!!!
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#75  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:16

Way to go

I suppose working in some office for some twats who treat people like numbers in the ski industry to make a decent amount of money for myself would be better than working in some office for some twats who treat people like numbers not in the ski industry.
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#76  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:19

Sorry, I dont buy that, I'd rather work in a competitive place - I'd still do well...

I dont think you will ever get people who dont want to spend time on the slopes moving country living in small towns like ski resorts. If it was more competitive then the people really doing it for the love of it would find a way to stay and get paid more money for it!

I guess the bottom line is that the TOs will make as much money as they can - why pay more when you can pay less? I don't think that is just a problem with TOs though - it runs deeper than that. I used to work in the head office of a big retailer in London. One of the things I couldn't stand was that there was never the feeling that they would ever say "right we are making good money now let's just consolidate and improve the shops we have". It was always bigger, bigger, bigger. How can we open new stores, make more money etc. That's the way society has gone -the big companies buy the small and make more money.

It is so ingrained in society that it would take a massive fcuking revolution to sort that out - not just a few people working in ski resorts who would probably work for even less if they had to to get the lifestyle. I am not saying it is right but this is a HUGE issue that comes down to something pretty fundamental about society. I do agree with you in principle - it is just not an ideal world by any means. You are doing your bit by not working for one of them - and that's great. I chose to become an instructor because I knew it would give me decent salary for the work I do. Every little helps!

Sorry not too serious for a Friday I hope
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#77  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:20

Depends on the job really -> I wouldn't class 65 - 90 pounds a week as very decent though...

Well, what would you consider to be decent for someone working in a resort then?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#78  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:23

Well, what would you consider to be decent for someone working in a resort then?

Like I say it depends on the job - I know you haven't done seasons before, perhaps I should let you know that there are far more jobs in resort than "resort worker"
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#79  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 11:28
The UK side works similarly - look at the big tour ops - their office staff have no idea what they are selling. I booked a few years ago with crystal (error!) to get cheap 2 week holiday - late deal. Week in Tignes and week in La Plagne. The sales staff had no idea why i said to go via Chambery to transfer between resorts was redicoulous and so we made our own way mid-holiday.

Go to a small tour op and the staff have seen all their chalets, know all about the resorts, have skiied there and know what they are talking about.

It is all about price and choice - if you have knowledge you seek out the smaller companies and get treated / paid better, if you have no knowledge you go for the obvious and they pay you peanuts as they have more choice.

That's what life is all about!
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview