Thomson - Your views //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ralphpelly    On:  Thu 18th August, 2005 at 20:08
RidingMountains2
Member Since: 2005
Posts: 2,485
#50  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 06:55

Originally posted by techmonkey

Originally posted by mista

They have stupid looking coats!

Dat true!

It's hardly unreasonable to boot staff out when they get sacked, but it is very unreasonable to give them only 24hours to try and find a new place to live. We all know accommodation isn't just freely floating around in the alps, and it's hardly possible to get a flight home with 24hours notice in a lot of cases.

I don't know if this is true, but a colleague who'd lived in France for over a decade told me that if you're a landlord it's illegal to evict your seasonal tenants during winter because they might freeze to death. Which is perfectly sensible really, not like there are loads of homeless hostels knocking around is it? Obviously, like most French employment laws, this won't apply to British TOs though.

TM have you been speaking to Boggy?!

Ahh but you see UK company... so tell me of any company who fires people and then says "oh but dont worry you can stay on untill you find another job" dont be so bloody ridiculous!... the term "clear your desk and go" springs to mind... not of course that i have ever been sacked.

But christ on a season it is usually due to gross misconduct. or plain fcukign stupidity!.. this being the case why shouldnt you be evicted considering that the accomodation is part of your employment contract....which has been broken you said sackie!!!

Christ we all have families! (Mummm i have been really stupid and got myself sacked for being a prat... converstaion)

It is NOT hard to get a flight on 24 hours notice even if you have to turn up at the airport and wait... or get the train back to Calais... Whatever.... it is not difficult! you are all only bitching about it coz you were stupid enough to bring half your life with you on a coach or a flight!!!

hehehe MORNING!!!
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 3,051
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#51  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 08:06

Originally posted by RidingMountains2

Originally posted by techmonkey

Originally posted by mista

They have stupid looking coats!

Dat true!

It's hardly unreasonable to boot staff out when they get sacked, but it is very unreasonable to give them only 24hours to try and find a new place to live. We all know accommodation isn't just freely floating around in the alps, and it's hardly possible to get a flight home with 24hours notice in a lot of cases.

I don't know if this is true, but a colleague who'd lived in France for over a decade told me that if you're a landlord it's illegal to evict your seasonal tenants during winter because they might freeze to death. Which is perfectly sensible really, not like there are loads of homeless hostels knocking around is it? Obviously, like most French employment laws, this won't apply to British TOs though.

TM have you been speaking to Boggy?!

Ahh but you see UK company... so tell me of any company who fires people and then says "oh but dont worry you can stay on untill you find another job" dont be so bloody ridiculous!... the term "clear your desk and go" springs to mind... not of course that i have ever been sacked.

But christ on a season it is usually due to gross misconduct. or plain fcukign stupidity!.. this being the case why shouldnt you be evicted considering that the accomodation is part of your employment contract....which has been broken you said sackie!!!

Christ we all have families! (Mummm i have been really stupid and got myself sacked for being a prat... converstaion)

It is NOT hard to get a flight on 24 hours notice even if you have to turn up at the airport and wait... or get the train back to Calais... Whatever.... it is not difficult! you are all only bitching about it coz you were stupid enough to bring half your life with you on a coach or a flight!!!

hehehe MORNING!!!


Accommodation is part of your package, just like wages, and you wouldn't expect them to keep paying you until you found another source of income.
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
Member Since: 2005
Posts: 2,485
#52  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 08:23

Originally posted by Kenzie



.

I like the finger to nose there Kenzie
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 14,398
Surrey
#53  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 09:56
I believe the problem we have here is with a thing called "growing up" - some people believe that they have cartain rights, which mummy and daddy provide them, and since, to them, a TO is like mummy and daddy, then they expect those same rights.
What they don't realise is that they have moved into the grown-up world of employment, where an employee is expected to do a job. You fail to perform, and you're out. You don't have any rights to accomodation, or anything, if you can't stick by your contract. You have to be responsible in your actions and attitude, because TOs don't ship you to the Alps for the fun of it, they do it to make money.

So, to those who think TOs are wrong to kick people out after they have lost their job - GROW UP
I post, therefore I am

         Jump to Top
mista
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 12,998
The sticks
#54  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:01
i would never work for a TO because I dont want to get treated like a number and if I was to join higher up I wouldn't want to treat others as numbers either. The whole business stinks. I reckon TOs are a bunch of fcuking cowboys. If they were to treat and pay staff a bit better and offer better accomodation they would get far more returning staff and offer a much better service to the customers but they are in it for the quick buck and fcuk anyone over as much as they possibly can to achieve this, including both staff and punters. They just come up with a lot of sh*t as explained above to not have to treat people as real human beings.
         Jump to Top
rodent
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 3,806
From Vail back to London
#55  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:02
There are plenty of people waiting in the wings to be flown out at a moment's notice who will be very conscienious and good as they have managed to get a job, so they will have no qualms sacking people if they want....

Also - it can be a bit of a wakeup call to those who might be slacking and makes them pull their socks up a bit!!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 3,806
From Vail back to London
#56  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:03

Originally posted by mista

i would never work for a TO because I dont want to get treated like a number and if I was to join higher up I wouldn't want to treat others as numbers either. The whole business stinks. I reckon TOs are a bunch of fcuking cowboys. If they were to treat and pay staff a bit better and offer better accomodation they would get far more returning staff and offer a much better service to the customers but they are in it for the quick buck and fcuk anyone over as much as they possibly can to achieve this, including both staff and punters. They just come up with a lot of sh*t as explained above to not have to treat people as real human beings.

problem is, where there's a steady supply of people willing to do it, then they just think - why not!!!! its a viscous circle and its never going to end - mwahahahahah!!!!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 3,806
From Vail back to London
#57  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:04
the answer is simple - do what i do - only work for companies who are small and know who you are and all about you and treat you good.
         Jump to Top
mista
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 12,998
The sticks
#58  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:12
Ok you have a point - smaller companies seem ok but they still dont give you a great deal because they can say "well... look what you would be getting with the larger operators". I got this last year working for a private chalet - not even a TO! Although the treating people like numbers thing is definitely less true of the smaller companies - You have pointed out the best way to go for sure!
         Jump to Top
mista
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 12,998
The sticks
#59  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:13
Oh and the vicious circle thing I agree with unfortunately...
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
Member Since: 2005
Posts: 125
#60  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:14

Originally posted by rodent

Originally posted by mista

i would never work for a TO because I dont want to get treated like a number and if I was to join higher up I wouldn't want to treat others as numbers either. The whole business stinks. I reckon TOs are a bunch of fcuking cowboys. If they were to treat and pay staff a bit better and offer better accomodation they would get far more returning staff and offer a much better service to the customers but they are in it for the quick buck and fcuk anyone over as much as they possibly can to achieve this, including both staff and punters. They just come up with a lot of sh*t as explained above to not have to treat people as real human beings.

problem is, where there's a steady supply of people willing to do it, then they just think - why not!!!! its a viscous circle and its never going to end - mwahahahahah!!!!!

granted not all tour operators treat you as well as they could but you have to see it as a means to an end. And not all tour operators are so bad. I spent my first season working for one and it gives you more security (job, accom, lift pass etc) for you first season than just heading out and trying to get it sorted in a resort where you have no contacts.

Not having that many returning staff is more the nature of the kind of work and the people who want to do that sort of work. For most people it is just one season before returning to/starting a "proper" job. Why offer more to your staff if you know that most of them have no intention of coming back no matter how well you treat them? It is a means to being able spend a season skiing and drinking for the staff and getting the job done for the company not a lasting relationship.

If they were that bad they would not have any staff!! People know the score and there are still people queing up to get these jobs
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
mista
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 12,998
The sticks
#61  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:19

Originally posted by waitingforwinter

granted not all tour operators treat you as well as they could but you have to see it as a means to an end. And not all tour operators are so bad. I spent my first season working for one and it gives you more security (job, accom, lift pass etc) for you first season than just heading out and trying to get it sorted in a resort where you have no contacts.

Not having that many returning staff is more the nature of the kind of work and the people who want to do that sort of work. For most people it is just one season before returning to/starting a "proper" job. Why offer more to your staff if you know that most of them have no intention of coming back no matter how well you treat them? It is a means to being able spend a season skiing and drinking for the staff and getting the job done for the company not a lasting relationship.

If they were that bad they would not have any staff!! People know the score and there are still people queing up to get these jobs

It is this kind of defeatist attitude that maintains the vicious cylce and really gets on my tits! I dont think it is going to change but I wish people had a bit more self respect sometimes...
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
Member Since: 2005
Posts: 125
#62  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:34

Originally posted by mista

Originally posted by waitingforwinter

granted not all tour operators treat you as well as they could but you have to see it as a means to an end. And not all tour operators are so bad. I spent my first season working for one and it gives you more security (job, accom, lift pass etc) for you first season than just heading out and trying to get it sorted in a resort where you have no contacts.

Not having that many returning staff is more the nature of the kind of work and the people who want to do that sort of work. For most people it is just one season before returning to/starting a "proper" job. Why offer more to your staff if you know that most of them have no intention of coming back no matter how well you treat them? It is a means to being able spend a season skiing and drinking for the staff and getting the job done for the company not a lasting relationship.

If they were that bad they would not have any staff!! People know the score and there are still people queing up to get these jobs

It is this kind of defeatist attitude that maintains the vicious cylce and really gets on my tits! I dont think it is going to change but I wish people had a bit more self respect sometimes...

Where's the lack of self respect if you know exactly what you are going in to? Its your choice - the job is there take it or leave it. Most people are entirely happy with the situation - you aren't so you don't do it - that's fine by me but don't tell everyone else they have no self respect if they are happy doing what they are doing. A bit of humility and just getting on with the job you have agreed to do without whinging about it is what a lot of people out there could do with.
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
moj
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 3,698
#63  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:37

Originally posted by WTFH


So, to those who think TOs are wrong to kick people out after they have lost their job - GROW UP[/quote:c3d6702282]
You were aware that most of us (including myself) were joking right?

[quote:c3d6702282="wfw"]I spent my first season working for one and it gives you more security (job, accom, lift pass etc) for you first season.

This package is offered almost everywhere, TOs big and small and private chalets. The only argument that it is easier to find for a first season worker (most private jobs are found through contacts made on your first season).

Back to the point in hand, I don't hate TUI/SHG because they asked me to leave when I quit (as I saying I was going somewhere nicer), but for the reasons that made me quit in the first place.

Also if last year is anything to go by they are appalling in the run up to Dec', I remember a 12 page thread on here about how disorganised they were being (and experienced it myself)... didn't see that for any other TOs

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Member Since: 2004
Posts: 14,398
Surrey
#64  Re: Thomson - Your views  26 Aug '05 at 10:44
moj, yup, aware most were joking, but I wanted to make the point to those who weren't!
I post, therefore I am

         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens