Thomson - Your views //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ralphpelly    On:  Thu 18th August, 2005 at 20:08
peds
Chamonix
#19  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 20:47
We coached on the way out, flew on the way back - the coach was an excellent way to get to know people, in my opinion... nothing like sharing hell with a group of people, really cements friendships!
And on the flight on the way back, the company very kindly slipped us the extra kilos allowance that the guests weren't using... kind of them.
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#20  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 21:55
guys, awesome help!

I needed opinions cos I've gotta send off some stupid deposit by tomorrow cos it says "you must return this application within five days of receiving it. failure to do so may... blah blah blah."

So I've signed five months of my life away... hopefully some of the best months EVER! I hope to meet some of u out there, in France somewhere. Of course I haven't been told where I'll be posted yet.

I thought I was getting a flight, damn! I've done a coach trip across France before, its gruesome!

Originally posted by

Well done on your A Levels - assuming "Woo" is a good noise![/quote:9bab6fdb42]

Cheers techmonkey, woo is a very good sound! I'm accepted at Bath uni starting 2006. I would love to extend my gap year another year but I think that would mean i'd have to pay the new extra tuition fee's.

[quote:9bab6fdb42]vodkarb wrote:
3 meals a day take it!

when the hell you going to be around to eat lunch? As Dino said, it's the bog standard deal (except a nice company will fly you out... enjoy that coach ride).

I'm not coming down the slopes every lunchtime to eat, they give me a packed lunch! Saves loads of money and the days I don't want it, I could stand around on top of the mountain and sell it on!
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#21  Re: Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 10:35

Originally posted by moj

Originally posted by ralphpelly

just want to make sure I'm not buying into an evil company that will treat me like penguin poo..
[/quote:8e4081e7d5]
you are

[quote:8e4081e7d5="ralphpelly"]
Have any of you done a season with Thomson before? What's your verdict?

I hate them

...having said this I was a chalet host not a hotel host. Just don't jump at your first offer if you're not sure about it

Moj honey it seems that you have had a bad experience and i believe that your problem was more people related rather than the company package etc.

I am returning to them this winter in VT and i have found them a good company to work for... combine this with the fact that it is one of the arms of the international TUI ltd it means that over time they could take you anywhere in the world!!

But you know this already from you interview and assesment
         Jump to Top
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#22  Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 17:58
yeah, man that interview dragged on!

I'm really tempted to take them up on a summer holiday offer next yr though....

my letter's sent off now so that's it, no more applying for me, I'm onto the next step!

But first I gotta get ready for reading festival. oh yeah.
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#23  Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 18:06

yeah, man that interview dragged on!

I'm really tempted to take them up on a summer holiday offer next yr though....

my letter's sent off now so that's it, no more applying for me, I'm onto the next step!

But first I gotta get ready for reading festival. oh yeah.

So what job you going for .. or was i being blind there? Seriously i am 29 and i found them really good. but hey it is all about personall experiences.

Ahve a great weekend at Reading... I will be thinking of you whilst i listen to Jools Holland and sup a Chablis overlooking the Cote D*Azur.... after all doesnt it always rain at Reading!!!

HAve a good one.

Oh BTW which resort you going to?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#24  Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 18:08

Originally posted by RidingMountains2

.... after all doesnt it always rain at Reading!!!

Not the year I went, it was absolutely phenomenal! I am actually quite jealous! Never mind, I'll have to go drown my sorrows at some D&B club tonight and dance like an utter knob all night
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#25  Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 18:14

Originally posted by mista

Not the year I went, it was absolutely phenomenal! I am actually quite jealous! Never mind, I'll have to go drown my sorrows at some D&B club tonight and dance like an utter knob all night

that mental image will stay with me for some time.. thankyou
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#26  Re: Thomson - Your views  20 Aug '05 at 18:15

Originally posted by mista

that mental image will stay with me for some time.. thankyou

Whatever flaots your boat, cutie pie...
         Jump to Top
moj
#27  Re: Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 00:30

Originally posted by moj

just want to make sure I'm not buying into an evil company that will treat me like penguin poo..
[/quote:a659526cf4]
you are

[quote:a659526cf4="ralphpelly"]
Have any of you done a season with Thomson before? What's your verdict?

I hate them

...having said this I was a chalet host not a hotel host. Just don't jump at your first offer if you're not sure about it

Moj honey it seems that you have had a bad experience and i believe that your problem was more people related rather than the company package etc.

I am returning to them this winter in VT and i have found them a good company to work for... combine this with the fact that it is one of the arms of the international TUI ltd it means that over time they could take you anywhere in the world!!

But you know this already from you interview and assesment

They are evil. Was more a "why the f^%k have I raped my principals and worked for a multinational... all the bad rumours are true" type thing than a person problem (only had any issues with one member of staff).

mmmm VT love the place. As I remember it one of the TUI staff flats features a TRIPLE BUNK BED IN CORRIDOR! nice. it was also where my TUI rep did her knee in. Did the nice folk send a driver to pick us up? no they sorted out assorted lifts to take us to mooties and a pick up from there several hours later. You are a number to them.

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#28  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 09:33
I'm gonna be a hotel host. The letter says 'hotel host grade 2.' I'm hoping thats good....

I haven't been told where I'll be posted yet, they don't allocate you till they've employed everyone I think. I'm guessing I'm most likely to be working in a big resort like val thorens or val d'isere, what do you think?

Reading was flooded last year so its time for a dry one this time round. Kings of Leon, Yeah! Incubus, Queens of the Stone age, Foo Fighters, Marylin Manson.......
         Jump to Top
TimmyC
#29  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 14:09
Ralph, I'm working for Thomson/Crystal now doing a summer season after working in Alpe D'Huez last winter so they can't be that bad (Always gets loads or returners and will definately be one of the biggest seasonaire communitys in the resort u get given). Get a Thomson AND a Crystal ski brochure from your local travel agent and look at all the club hotels, there are 7 resorts in total. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the resorts for ClubHotels are...
Alpe d'Huez
Les 2 Alpes
Courchevel
Chamonix
Tignes
Risoul &
Flaine (If you're really unlucky!) so no, VT or Val D'isere are not a possibility.

Also, Hotel hosts at grade 2 are the lowest ranked staff. I can't imagine what a grade 1 member of staff would be/do! Prob makes it sound better saying that you are starting at grade 2!

Bring on the white stuff
         Jump to Top
moj
#30  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 14:11

I haven't been told where I'll be posted yet, they don't allocate you till they've employed everyone I think. I'm guessing I'm most likely to be working in a big resort like val thorens or val d'isere, what do you think?

Nah they don't allocate you until the end of training week

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#31  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 16:54

Originally posted by moj

Nah they don't allocate you until the end of training week

This is true i am afraid and I think Timmy C is correct in his Club Hotles resort list... They definalty have the Saint Louis in Courchevel.. not sure about the others as i am a Chalet Girl.

Oh and opinions and experiences are individual.... good or bad... go for it and will probably see you on training.
         Jump to Top
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#32  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 21:27

Originally posted by TimmyC

Also, Hotel hosts at grade 2 are the lowest ranked staff. I can't imagine what a grade 1 member of staff would be/do! Prob makes it sound better saying that you are starting at grade 2!

Oh great, the lowest ranked member of staff! I really should have applied for a better position, but only being 18 and not having any previous season experience I didn't think I'd get much, even though I could definately do most of the jobs in resort with the right training - and I speak fluent French!

So how would I go about getting myself a promotion mid-season? Assassinate another employee and fill their position?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#33  Re: Thomson - Your views  21 Aug '05 at 21:31

So how would I go about getting myself a promotion mid-season? Assassinate another employee and fill their position?

Not that I have ever worked for one of these companies but from what I can work out not being an utter moron helps quite a lot. Anyway a lot of people get injured homesick etc... etc... so if you are decent at your job and get on with people well then you might get moved up.

However, this role also means least responsibility, which is something some people like...
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort