Thomson - Your views //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ralphpelly    On:  Thu 18th August, 2005 at 20:08
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#1  Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 20:08
Hey guys,

I've just been offered a job for this season (WOOHOO!) with Thomson as a hotel host. Before I sign my life away and send THEM a cheque for £100, I just want to make sure I'm not buying into an evil company that will treat me like penguin poo..

Have any of you done a season with Thomson before? What's your verdict?
         Jump to Top
user206
#2  Re: Re: Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 20:21

Originally posted by ralphpelly

an evil company that will treat me like penguin poo...

Are you sure you've never done a season with them?!
         Jump to Top
ralphpelly
Guildford, UK
#3  Re: Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 20:28
lol

i'm just out of college - just got my a levels today! (woo again) so this year's my first season, filling out my gap year nicely.

Thomson offer a great package - return travel, accomm., three meals a day, ski pass and equipment (dunno if i'll want to use the equip. they offer though)

So it would take a lot to make me say no, but they must be humane at least?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 21:10

lol

i'm just out of college - just got my a levels today! (woo again) so this year's my first season, filling out my gap year nicely.

Thomson offer a great package - return travel, accomm., three meals a day, ski pass and equipment (dunno if i'll want to use the equip. they offer though)

So it would take a lot to make me say no, but they must be humane at least?

Most companies offer the same thing - but as techers says - once you have a job why bother looking elsewhere - just go for it!!! Its the people that make the season and you won't know them till you get there - just best to go!!! And have a good one!!!!
         Jump to Top
moj
#6  Re: Re: Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 21:13

just want to make sure I'm not buying into an evil company that will treat me like penguin poo..
[/quote:f77eb22935]
you are

[quote:f77eb22935="ralphpelly"]
Have any of you done a season with Thomson before? What's your verdict?

I hate them

...having said this I was a chalet host not a hotel host. Just don't jump at your first offer if you're not sure about it

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#7  Re: Thomson - Your views  18 Aug '05 at 21:21
Some people say as they find eh moj!!!!!
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#9  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 08:02
I'd go for it in your position ie 18/19, doing a gap year. If you look around other threads on Natives, you will see plenty of teenagers who think their lack of years is preventing them get jobs. Also, with TUI there must be a good chance of filling the rest of your gap year with summer work, providing you keep your nose clean.
         Jump to Top
vodkarb
Uk
#10  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 10:41
3 meals a day take it!
         Jump to Top
moj
#11  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 11:12

Originally posted by vodkarb

3 meals a day take it!

when the hell you going to be around to eat lunch? As Dino said, it's the bog standard deal (except a nice company will fly you out... enjoy that coach ride).

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#12  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 12:18
f*ck it, do it

its not hard to get another job in resort if you really do hate it anyway.

the only thing that I don't like is companies forcing people to pay deposits. I understand the reason for it but to me it says "this job is sh*t, give us money so you can't walk away when you realise it".
A lot of companies ask for this tho so its hardly unusual.

by the way you won't want to use the limited, bust up sh*tty hired equipment - get your own out there. And yeh, enjoy the coach trip

otherwise it all sounds decent, go for it. as someone else said look at other threads - some people your age are struggling to get jobs so you might as well take it.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#14  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 13:20

Originally posted by bigdog

Just a word of advice for the coach trip. I went at 18, which was a particularly youthful and naive time for me, and decided to have a few beers from the french supermarket just off the ferry to wash down a couple of sleeping aids. The plan was to sleep the whole boring journey and wake up to snow and mountains fresh and alert. I did wake up nearish to the mountains but in intense pain and very close to wetting myself. I finally relented and eventually made the bus driver stop so I could wee on a narrow winding road to the applause of the whole bus, holding up traffic, while I summoned all mental powers to 'go' under such pressure. Very embarrassing indeed. Although quite a silly project from the start, am sure u would be more sensible...

did they not have a lav on the coach?!
or was the driver just being a c*nt and keeping it locked

I made the mistake of thinking I could get pissed on the coach ride down. turns out 23 hours on a bus is a lot longer than you think. Ended up getting drunk, falling asleep, getting drunk again and then finally arriving in resort with a vicious hangover. bad idea.
on the other hand I once got really really caned on the ferry and slept the rest of the way, it was ace.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#15  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 13:32
beware tho - one of the guys my first season got lashed on the ferry and then chucked up many many times on the coach, ended up being stripped by the most senior person on the bus and his manky clothes were left at a random french "aire" somewhere between Dover and the alpes.

Not the way to make friends. The bus minged the whole way there!!!
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#16  Re: Thomson - Your views  19 Aug '05 at 13:35

Originally posted by rodent

beware tho - one of the guys my first season got lashed on the ferry and then chucked up many many times on the coach, ended up being stripped by the most senior person on the bus and his manky clothes were left at a random french "aire" somewhere between Dover and the alpes.

Not the way to make friends. The bus minged the whole way there!!!

Thats pretty fcuking funny...

Suppose it could be a good ice breaker though - Others will get to know you quick...
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet