This Forum.... //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  spudski    On:  Fri 23rd November, 2012 at 20:33
spudski
depth's of despair
#1  This Forum....  23 Nov '12 at 20:33
.... used to be Interesting and fun.... wtf happened?

Every time I take a peek it's like watching someone slowly die....

Seriously.... Did Boggers keep this forum going on his own?
         Jump to Top
begede
#2  Re: This Forum....  23 Nov '12 at 21:58
In reply to spudski (Post #1)
I think perhaps a culmination of things.

not attracting new users and i think that this is not because the regular users are unfriendly as nearly all questions get answered to a point but perhaps because the content is not very engaging, Where is the news, it seems to be promotions and not news, the other channel has a great debate going on about this esf/tour op hosting debarcle.

where are the competions in the forum best pictures etc.

Why has HQ not taken on board much of the feedback about the new site ? or even deemed to reply ie this pop up thing or get involved in the debates occaionally ?

But I think the main reason perhaps could be that it used to be a site run by someone passionate about skiing, the industry and making sure their were satisfied seasonaires using the site and also keeping the advertisers happy too. Now it seems to be a bit corporate and to a point dull and not perhaps engaging for the user either in cyber space or the real world, I don't even know if their was a natives party this year, at least i never heard of one.

It's a bit like having a well run and fun pub that people loved going to then new management come in who keep it ticking over but yet don't engage with their customers.
Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top
spudski
depth's of despair
#4  Re: This Forum....  24 Nov '12 at 13:12
In reply to begede (Post #2)
Both of you are spot on....'tis such a shame.

The other Channel has been very informative of late... the Ski Host thread was engaging, although went round in circles for a bit. However... I learnt a fair bit from it.

The other Channel also does send a lot of posters this way for advise.
         Jump to Top
Abster
In a house in leafy Surrey
#6  Re: This Forum....  24 Nov '12 at 17:32
In reply to daisy (Post #5)
I concur, was like a pub which you could come to when feeling glum and soon have a smile on your face, or tea spilt all over your keyboard from laughing with a mouth full!

Now it's just clinical and too many pink bits!
If you say gullible slowly, it sounds like oranges......
         Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#8  Re: This Forum....  24 Nov '12 at 21:29
Frankly these days Snowheads has more ski chat, more equipment chat, more trip reviews, more cool pics/videos posted, more (detailed) snow reports/forecasts and more 'random banter.' Getting on to be as much chat about seasons/jobs/contracts/accomm now too... Between there and TGR, this place doesn't really add much anymore, which is a shame as it used to be great.

And you STILL have to scroll all the way to the top to add a new post (unless you only want to reply to the last poster).
Edited 24/11/2012 @ 21:30 Revision #1
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
begede
#9  Re: This Forum....  24 Nov '12 at 22:31
In reply to clarky999 (Post #8)
you can use the new button to add a post below the previous one.

But I do think HQ should take notice that they are alienating the regular posters by not responding to critiques or getting involved in the chat as it is the regular posters who have done many seasons and answer many questions,

and yes, far too many pink and white bits, it's like holidaying in Benidorm.

Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#11  Re: This Forum....  24 Nov '12 at 23:43
Aah, cool, how long has that been there?
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
begede
#12  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 07:45
In reply to daisy (Post #10)

Originally posted by daisy

Says the one with the giant green appendage.

xd

Seasons! The pole planting lessons did n't quite have the desired results.

Jump to Top
Wendy
France
#13  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 17:49
In reply to begede (Post #12)
Back in 2001, when I sought advice on being a ski bum and found Natives, I felt a little 'unworthy' because everyone else on here seemed to know each other. People were still helpful, and I don't think that's changed: it's always intimidating entering a real or virtual space and asking for help.

But my Natives days are now over. I'm done with it. I've had no response to an email to the admins for more than a month now, and the advertising is really just the final straw. I'll miss some of the faces on here, and can hopefully keep in touch with many of you via either twitter, email or Facebook.

Other than that, are many of you on Snowheads or somewhere else? I'd still like to talk about winter sports *somewhere*. Just not here.
Life in the French Alps: www.lefrancophoney.com
         Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#14  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 18:09
^
  • Several people from here on Snowheads.

• SH's has it's faults too, but overall pretty good these days/
    Edited 25/11/2012 @ 18:18 Revision #1
    Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
    Bags
    London
    #15  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 18:53
    Yes it's strange. I was so excited about finally doing season #2 that I came on here to share the news after a long hiatus and was shocked at the lack of banter!!! Where is everyone!? And how was I meant to pass my last few weeks at work!? I had to do actual work which really was mega dull.....
    "I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
             Jump to Top
    begede
    #16  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 18:57
    In reply to Wendy (Post #13)

Originally posted by Wendy

But my Natives days are now over. I'm done with it. I've had no response to an email to the admins for more than a month now, and the advertising is really just the final straw.

That's rubbish that no one replies to your email, but I am not overly surprised based on what some have said on here and the lack of response. But I guess the forum does not really matter to HQ too much, it's not a source of direct revenue is it and I am guessing most people use natives for the job pages and if there are enough hits then the advertising will continue as will a dumbed down version of Natives. Shame.

Bye, if you find a nice place come back and tell us all.

Jump to Top
    WTFH
    Surrey
    #17  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 19:14
    In reply to clarky999 (Post #14)

Originally posted by clarky999

^
  • Several people from here on Snowheads.

• SH's has it's faults too, but overall pretty good these days/

It's got a lot better since that WTFH guy left.
    I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
    Boggart
    Somewhere without a paddle….
    #18  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 20:53
    Wow a thread that has reached page two!

Not many of those about these days.

Back in the day when NOF's were just out of Stem Christies we had threads that would get to double figures in just a day. Anyone remember the one from that TV production company about doing yet another 'innovative fly on the wall documentary series about life in a ski resort'* that got ripped apart and reached 19 pages in a single day? Helped by the fact that the dunce representing the company wouldn't give up and was so stupid they were losing tens of points off their IQ every time they blew their nose.

The Boggart agrees with every word written about how this site has gone downhill (and not in a good way) since Mainframe Normal upped sticks with a wheelbarrow full of cash. I don't blame him at all, he started with an idea that no-one could work out how he could make any money and made it a huge (and let's not forget; Award Winning) success. He probably took it as far as he could and wanted a new challenge - which he is having with the very informative Skipedia; although I guess if he does pop in here now and again, he must feel extremely sad that there is no passion in any part of the site any more.

One of the other reasons that the Boggart is a less frequent visitor, even before the current fück-up (sorry 're-branding') is that he is no longer resident in the place he loves, health problems have finished all that. So although he might have over two decades of bullsh!t about living in the French Alpes, that information is more than past its sell-by date.

The Boggart has been lucky enough to have met and made some real friendships through this site and I want to thank all of you for the fun, its a shame that it is all coming to an end. A few of you are still in contact via the dreaded corporate one-eyed monster of Facebook and I suppose that will have to do.

Unless we set up a NOF's group elsewhere?

I was and it was fun while it lasted,

Boggars

*Even those jokers have given up on Natives, how long is it since we have a had a 'you too can make yourself look a complete c*nt on TV for no fee at all, while we laugh all the way to the bank' thread? We don't even get the the nouveau Warrigal's any more.
    Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
             Jump to Top
    begede
    #19  Re: This Forum....  25 Nov '12 at 21:12
    In reply to Boggart (Post #18)

Originally posted by Boggart

Unless we set up a NOF's group elsewhere?

This idea has potential.... perhaps along the lines of

"the season workers website"
    offering upto date news, practical seasonal information that is reviewed and updated regularly, legal advice and a forum that does nt cause retinal haemoraging.

It's a job from home Boggars ? what if we all chipped in, sure we could find a way to monetise it, maybe advertise a few jobs, maybe advertise all the in resort jobs that actually pay a living wage ?
    Edited 25/11/2012 @ 21:13 Revision #1

Jump to Top

Next >
    Latest Posts
    - Ski Lift operator Jobs
    - French speaking male bar staff required!
    - Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
    - Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
    - lift to any french resort
    - How do you get a job?
    - Accommodation Le La
    - Childcare position Val d'Isere
    - Female Bartender Wanted
    - Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort