The "What are you eating right now" Thread... //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  peds    On:  Sat 4th July, 2009 at 00:27
peds
Chamonix
#595  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  8 Mar '12 at 21:02
Elvis - for a start it's raviolo[/i:44bae32964], and in Russian, you have one blin and two or more blini, but in English you have one blini or some blinis... in the same manner as [i:44bae32964]pizze[/i:44bae32964], [i:44bae32964]pizza[/i:44bae32964], and [i:44bae32964]pizzas[/i:44bae32964].

I'm not saying that either of us are right or wrong - I'll leave that for the linguists to debate, whilst I eat their subject material.

edit
Tonight, I had 1.25 [i:44bae32964]pizza[/i:44bae32964], and I have a box of just under half a [i:44bae32964]pizze
for breakfast.
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
benny
London
#597  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  9 Mar '12 at 13:49
The Chipper van that comes to our Sussex village is pretty bloomin' amazing. Being so close to Hastings you would expect it to be good.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#598  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  9 Mar '12 at 16:22

Originally posted by peds

Elvis - for a start it's raviolo[/i:ecce4b87ad], and in Russian, you have one blin and two or more blini, but in English you have one blini or some blinis... in the same manner as [i:ecce4b87ad]pizze[/i:ecce4b87ad], [i:ecce4b87ad]pizza[/i:ecce4b87ad], and [i:ecce4b87ad]pizzas[/i:ecce4b87ad].

I'm not saying that either of us are right or wrong - I'll leave that for the linguists to debate, whilst I eat their subject material.

edit
Tonight, I had 1.25 [i:ecce4b87ad]pizza[/i:ecce4b87ad], and I have a box of just under half a [i:ecce4b87ad]pizze
for breakfast.

Anyone want a linguistic debate about boobies?
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#599  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  9 Mar '12 at 16:35
Mistarers,

Only if we can post pictures.....

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#600  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  10 Mar '12 at 11:38
After some research I discovered that the blue-footed boobie inhabits the galapagos islands, which are just a stone's throw away from Peru where they are considered a delicacy by the indigenous Wanka tribe.

Sorry peds, but I'm moving the linguistic debate onto 'jobbies' now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXIYNGiIkE0

"..if you add up all the time you are spending and you find out that you are making less than the minimum wage on an hourly basis, then you my friends, have a jobbie."

Half way between a hobbie and a job - a jobbie.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#601  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  2 May '12 at 21:27
So last week I was doing some shifts at the pizza place my girlfriend works at because one of their other chefs had a strop and wandered off. I was dunking pasta, sprinkling oregano around the edge of plates, using tomato wedges as garnish... all good fun.

They slice all their own cured meats, and at the end of each leg or log there are the inevitable chunks and off-cuts that aren't used in other preparations... the end of the chorizo goes into the onion soup, for example. One night I came home with the trimmed fat and skin from a whole leg of dry-cured ham, which I rendered very slowly at a low heat until completely crisp, for some very rude scratchings. The rendered fat, once cold, was rubbed into flour with water to make a very nice shortcrust pastry. Most of it went on top of a chicken and leek pie my ladyfriend made us for dinner over the weekend, and the rest of it I have used tonight.

I rolled it out flat and pressed it into a non-stick frying pan, then blind baked it. Meanwhile, six thickly-sliced onions were caramelising slowly on the hob with a sprig of thyme, being moistened every now and then with a splash of beef stock. Once good and browned and slightly cooled, a few big chunks of Beaufort cheese and some finely-diced wild boar sausage were stirred through, before the whole lot was tipped into the blind-baked pastry case. It has now been in the oven for seven or eight minutes, and should be ready to eat in another minute or so.
(edit - this is also with crispy goose fat potatoes, dressed rocket, and some cornichons and pickled onions)

The trimmings of the trimmings of the pastry were folded over five or six times with some more Beaufort, finely-grated, and baked in a hot oven until puffy and crisp. They will be sprinkled over my pumpkin soup for lunch tomorrow, fresh from the thermos flask, when I'm climbing the Monolithe du Hérisson Oublié, above Argentiere.
         Jump to Top
Abster
In a house in leafy Surrey
#602  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  4 May '12 at 11:45
Wow I feel I can offically contribute to this thread, I'm hopless in the kitchen unless it's making cakes, chutneys or a mess!

Last night, I had Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner, Not any old Spaghetti Bolognese I had the Hairy Bikers Spaghetti Bolognese.... This has to be the best Spaghetti Bolognese I've ever had.

Ok I missed out the wine none in the house, Celery again none in the house, Garlic mother does not like garlic, Mushrooms dad allergic to them and Sugar, Dad is diabetic and I thought best not to add.....

It was still the most amazing Spaghetti Bolognese ever, Can't wait to try it with all the missing parts....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spaghetti_bolognese_43191

I truly recommend
If you say gullible slowly, it sounds like oranges......
         Jump to Top
andy green
France
#603  Re: Arcticmonkey  6 May '12 at 14:10
Hi Guys

Having read through this post (to give me some ideas for dinner tonight). Has anyone heard from Arcticmonkey she hasn't posted since Nov 2011.

Hope she has just wandered off like some people do (not us stalwarts SPP?)

Andy
THINK SNOW
         Jump to Top
begede
#604  Re: Re: Arcticmonkey  6 May '12 at 17:00

Originally posted by andy green

Has anyone heard from Arcticmonkey she hasn't posted since Nov 2011.

Last heard saying "Peds, Peds....Why is the sauna room turned up to 200 degrees and what is that huge slice of pastry you are rolling out on the floor for"

Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#605  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  12 May '12 at 06:09
'Tis but a distant memory, but the photos have only just surfaced.

Two ribs worth, about 1.4kg, after spending five hours in a 48oC oven, being finished over the coals.

Jump to Top
begede
#606  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  12 May '12 at 10:00

Originally posted by peds

after spending five hours in a 48oC oven

48 degrees ? is this a safe cooking temperature ? I seem to remember from those food hygiene courses, they make you do, this is like a bacterial summer holiday camp temp. Please correct me ?
Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#607  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  17 Jun '12 at 18:54
Yo BeeGee, sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this. If your beef is from a reputable source (ie, one that you'd be happy getting some beef for a steak tartare from), then this low temperature is absolutely fine. To be extra safe, you can blast the outside of your beef with a blowtorch first, like that nice Heston does. This will kill any creepy crawlies.

Coming up next... baby goat!
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#608  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  17 Jun '12 at 18:59
This is the Asco valley in Corsica, we came here one day on our tour of the island a few weeks ago for a bit of hill walking, some skinny dipping, a nice spot of lunch and then a bit of sunbathing by the river, swimming, jumping off of big rocks and snoozing.

The view looking back down the valley as we drove up.

The big hills, the tallest mountain in Corsica is just off-picture to the left behind the rocky ridgeline, at 2700m. (we are at about 1400m in this picture)

I don't know why I'm covering my balls, they've shrunk back up into my body anyway

The view at lunch, at an unassuming roadside cafe with "lamb, goat, wood oven" written on the blackboard outside.

Walking down by the river after lunch

This is an ancient water mill (notice the grindstone)

We were jumping off these rocks into the deep water below and snoozing on the smooth pebble spit visible between them

So anyway, this plate of delicious was my lunch that day, a little pile of baked aubergine and some chips which had had a handful of fresh rosemary (growing all over the hillside outside the restaurant) thrown into the fryer, next to half a baby goat, roasted and charred in the incredible temperature of a wood-fired oven. The goat had been born, brought up under its mother, lived its short life, and slaughtered all within a few hundred metres of the restaurant in which I ate it. I also had a little caraffe of red wine, grown and produced in the valley as well. It was one of the best meals I have ever eaten in my life.

The owner of the restaurant kept coming out to snigger at me sucking every gram of flesh off the bones, gnawing the shreds from between the ribs, and generally making a bit of a mess of my face with sticky, blackened meat juices.

"Excuse me, madame," I asked, wiping the grease from my chin, "But just what age was this goat?"

"Two months. He was killed when he was very tender."

Tender! And how! She didn't describe the poor wee thing as "young", she gave it the happy euphemism "tender"... and whilst I'm sure quite a few people will blanche at the thought of this kind of eating, it was quite simply one of the most incredible things I've ever tasted. The very essence of the valley in which it was being eaten was in this animal. The death of this poor baby goat, harvested at such a young age, was definitely worth it.
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#609  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  18 Jun '12 at 08:34
Looks like a stunning day and meal, pedders.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

=============================

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#610  Re: The "What are you eating right now" Thread...  18 Jun '12 at 13:34
Peders,

Not had cabri for years and I certainly would have been sucking the bones clean as well.

As a fellow foodophile of Natives I appreciate a well crafted complex meal as much as you probably do but just ever now and again just doing the simplest of things to high quality, fresh and local ingredients can make the most memorable of meals. Even the chips look amazing!

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort