SUPERHINTS //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Meels    On:  Wed 21st September, 2005 at 18:12
meta
#18  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 17:44
Seeing as last season was such a breeze and unlike many had advised, I felt it a prerequisite of mine to provide a little nugget, or two.

One thing we did last year that I found invaluable was this. We had four working in our chalet, so one would do the early shift and get up for breakfast and whilst it was being consumed, prep the evening meal. Another would get up at the same time and get straight out on the slopes for first run before any guests, providing the entire, freshly bashed slopes, all to themselves. One would get up at any time and do the cake and whilst it's baking, do any rooms whose keys were in the room cleaning tin. The last would have the morning off. Then, we would all meet up at a designated bar and time on the slopes and board together till last lift. This system was, of course, rotated daily. When we got back, all that had to be done was cook all the pre-prep, serve and tidy up. We moved dinner forward an hour so we were able to get out to the bars earlier. Nice and easy does it.

Also, everything we cooked was split in two. One half went to the guests and the other was distributed to the various bars we were visiting that night and also to the Seasonaire dinner parties we held in the chalet almost every night. This way, we got free drinks in pretty much all of the bars and free food on our days off at the other chalets. Nice and easy does it.

Some may feel this type of behaviour would be somewhat morally un-balanced. But, I must ensure you, it wasn't. After all, there are precious few, every dissolving hours left in life that are board-able.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#19  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 19:39
Couldnt agree more on the free food spread around the resort Meta, a little free nosh goes a long way in drinks bills.

Bake two cakes each day, take a cake to a different bar every day
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
meta
#20  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 20:11

Originally posted by

Bake two cakes each day, take a cake to a different bar every day

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Very true.

Also, if your chalet is without a bar, then a tidy profit can be made from buying in lager at 70c and selling it to the guests for 2€. I love wine, I really do. But chalet wine... well that's a different story.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
         Jump to Top
anno
#21  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 20:33
bake all your cakes and desserts on transfer day while u are waiting for your guests to arrive and then wrap em in clingfilm and hide them from the guests

oh a get a radio for the kitchen!!!
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#22  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 20:47
Have the same soup starter as the day before transfer day and make a dubble batch.

Make loads of scones and freeze them incase you f**k your cake up

meet with your guests on the slope at least once tell them they all ski like Herman Maier, suck up to them as much as poss may increase the tip at the end of the week
         Jump to Top
Snow Minx
London
#23  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 21:11
Well,

Arent you a lucky person getting some great advice!

As a person who has done three ski seasons and one summer i can only say.....................enjoy it!! It will be hard and you will undoubtably meet people who you really wont get on with but it will challenge you and (cheesy bit) make you stronger.

If you dont mind a bit of hard work and can party hard too, well, a ski season is made for you. In my experience many people think thay can complete then but they dont.

My secret? Work hard, respect your job as its a f###k load better than the Uk and take the people you meet in resort with a (big) pinch of salt. Its all a big snowy bravado really a ski season so take it for what it is..................and enjoy it. It a very special time of your life.

Love Snow Minx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Jump to Top
Amazon
Southampton..again.
#24  Re: SUPERHINTS  22 Sep '05 at 21:28

Originally posted by Snow Minx

Well,

Arent you a lucky person getting some great advice!

As a person who has done three ski seasons and one summer i can only say.....................enjoy it!! It will be hard and you will undoubtably meet people who you really wont get on with but it will challenge you and (cheesy bit) make you stronger.

If you dont mind a bit of hard work and can party hard too, well, a ski season is made for you. In my experience many people think thay can complete then but they dont.

My secret? Work hard, respect your job as its a f###k load better than the Uk and take the people you meet in resort with a (big) pinch of salt. Its all a big snowy bravado really a ski season so take it for what it is..................and enjoy it. It a very special time of your life.

Love Snow Minx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Agreed ^
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

05/06-Meribel/La Tania...Eventually Les Gets-Resort Rep
04/05-La Plagne (mostly)-Chalet Host
01/02-Tignes-Chalet Host
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#25  Re: SUPERHINTS  23 Sep '05 at 11:59
Whoever you end up working closely alongside, try to get on with them, its all give and take. If they have mates coming over, offer to work some of their shifts, this will be recipricated when you have mates over. I managed 6 days off a few years back by building up favours, when my mates got out it was like being on holiday myself.

Try before you buy kit, go with rental kit for the first few weeks; usually supplied, will prob. be old stuff, but will allow you to get to grips with your desired mode of downhill transport, then take out skis/boards to test, and then buy, paying back over the season.

If you're boarding, get wrist-guards!!!

Toffee vodka is your friend, Garlic vodka is not!

Respect the mountain, don't drop fag ends, water bottles, etc.

Respect yourself, don't go off-piste if you don't know what you're getting into, this is my best bit of advice, from experience.

Some of the above is a little cheesey but is from my pov true.

Oh and get as pissed as you can, and still function the day after, and if anyone out there know of how to rid yourself of booze-breath the next day, i'd love to know.

Oh yeah, and if you're a driver out there, they drive on the wrong side of the road!!!
         Jump to Top
Skibum
The Back of Beyond.
#26  Re: SUPERHINTS  23 Sep '05 at 12:10

Originally posted by Horse

Try before you buy kit, go with rental kit for the first few weeks; usually supplied, will prob. be old stuff, but will allow you to get to grips with your desired mode of downhill transport, then take out skis/boards to test, and then buy, paying back over the season.

Also, trying out and renting saves your skis for the decent snow that's not full of pebbles/twigs etc that wreck your bases early season.
"The Dude abides."
         Jump to Top
Meels
#27  Re: wowee  23 Sep '05 at 20:54
Thanks so much for all your advice- i love the cheese!!! i just don't know how much more i can stand working in a pensions company!!! Not long now though and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
         Jump to Top
Sammyq22
Je deteste Surrey
#28  Re: SUPERHINTS  23 Sep '05 at 21:49

Originally posted by Horse

Respect yourself, don't go off-piste if you don't know what you're getting into, this is my best bit of advice, from experience.

What do you mean by that?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#29  Re: SUPERHINTS  23 Sep '05 at 22:36
I guess understanding avalanches and stuff.

I remember going out on my first season feeling quite invincible until some guys in Tignes fell down a cravace and died. It is easy to forget that some people on their first season dont know about the dangers involved with off-piste. They end up going at the wrong time of day with no beepers etc... endangering the lifes of themselves and others.

If something goes wrong in the park it hurts, but if it goes wrong off piste you are in serious trouble. - Something that all first time seasonnaires should be aware of...
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#30  Re: SUPERHINTS  24 Sep '05 at 19:00

Originally posted by

What do you mean by that?[/quote:af224aebbb]

[quote:af224aebbb]I guess understanding avalanches and stuff.

I remember going out on my first season feeling quite invincible until some guys in Tignes fell down a cravace and died. It is easy to forget that some people on their first season dont know about the dangers involved with off-piste. They end up going at the wrong time of day with no beepers etc... endangering the lifes of themselves and others.

That is exactly what i mean, i went out in my first season real naieve, thought i could do anything and be OK, bad things only happen to others, not me, well i learnt a quick leason when after about a month i went off-piste alone, and got involved in an avalance, OK it turned out to be a small slab-slide that had no repercusions on me or others, but it certainly made me realise the respect you must have. In my case that was a lucky lesson learnt, that could so easily have ended in tradgedy for me, or worse other innocent skiers below me!!!
         Jump to Top
Budgie
#31  Re: SUPERHINTS  25 Sep '05 at 10:24
Bitching and slagging people behind there backs is a common happening, especially in larger hotels, i find to just let it go in one ear and out the other, dont get involved, just stay away from any arguments between people, coz itl end up you being the person taking sides, and its just goes then in a circle, your out to have a good time, if people are wankers, let them be wankers, ul hopefully never have to see them again!

Respect the mountain, read up on avalanches, they will kill you, i had a close escape last season on a big day, even though knowing a fair bit on avalanches, i still managed to get buried momentarily, snow filling my mouth, and then it went dark, before swimming out, that was scary!

Dont spunk all your money on training courses trying to buy birds drink, to get your end away, or just boozing it all away! Most companies wont be paying you till January, or if in Decemebr prob u havent worked a whole month, so half the monthly wage, uv got Christmas and New Year to get through, so plenty of money around then is sweet!

Just have a good time, work hard, get on the mountain as much as you can even if feeling sick, ul be fine when your up there, and respect others around you!
         Jump to Top
Faceplant
#32  Re: SUPERHINTS  25 Sep '05 at 13:51
3 things to do during the season 1. Work 2. Ski 3. Party/drink. You can only do two out of the three at once and working is sadly one of them (assuming you aren't a rich **** who doesn't have to work). My advice? If the snow conditions suck then you might as well enjoy a few beers. If it's going to be a powder day - get an early night. You'll only kick yourself when your guests are getting fresh tracks and you're stuck nursing a hangover.

And remember to call your mates at home from the top of the mountain on a sunny day and remind them how their lives suck.
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet