STG travel... a word of warning //

< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  wy666    On:  Sun 1st July, 2012 at 21:04
millie002b
#7  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  9 Oct '12 at 21:05
In reply to jayb (Post #3)
I wouldn't worry, just read your contract properly and make sure you ask any questions you have before you go. ( They are notoriously hard to communicate with and very frequently ignore emails so maybe best to call).

I'm returning for a second season with them as head of restaurant/housekeeping and was initially club hotel staff, I had a lot of fun and managed to ski enough -which for me is the most important thing about doing a season.

Any questions let me know! Which resort are you in?
         Jump to Top
ciannozzi
#8  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  11 Oct '12 at 13:04
In reply to millie002b (Post #7)
Hi millie, im new to this forum.. was wandering if you could answer a couple of questions for me as you have experience with stg.

I have an interview for clubhouse staff next week.. what is this job all about exactly? and what is the pay like? I think all meals are provided too and what is the accomodation like is it shared etc??
         Jump to Top
millie002b
#10  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  11 Oct '12 at 19:46
In reply to ciannozzi (Post #8)
No probs,
Clubhouse staff im guessing means General Assistant? It just means you will be housekeeping and serving in the restaurant. Not a difficult job and you dont necessarily need any experience just be willing to work hard.

You get meals, accomodation and ski hire/pass all taken out of your pay which leaves you with very little. Accomodation is usually very basic and shared between quite a few of you. Not such a problem though, you wont be spending much time sitting around at home!

I guess everything varies depending on which resort you get placed in, I would recomend you do some research and be in a position to suggest which resort you would like at your interview.

Good luck!
         Jump to Top
ciannozzi
#11  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  12 Oct '12 at 09:58
In reply to millie002b (Post #10)
Thanks for the information. so I imagine you only get to ski on your day off as working days will prob be full days right. Do we mostly work with school children? when you say ski pass etc is taken out of pay what are you left with 500 euros? or like 50 euros?

Thanks again, Millie
         Jump to Top
ciannozzi
#12  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  12 Oct '12 at 10:14
In reply to Dinosaur (Post #9)
Thanks Dino, ;)

I originally applied for a drivers job thy advertised but when i got my interview e-mail they mention its for clubhouse hotel staff. Whats the interview day like? I imagine you get a few speakers talking away tying to convince you to work for them etc or are they more selective? Im more interested in the pay to be honest thats why im here, im not interested in a working holiday ive done a few of those in the past... Im not a school leaver or graduate having some time off or llooking for experience etc...
         Jump to Top
millie002b
#14  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  12 Oct '12 at 20:51
In reply to ciannozzi (Post #12)
I would not advise working for STG if you are mainly motivated by pay. You are left with about 200 a month after all deductions. Even the more managerial roles dont earn much when compared with earning potential back in the UK. I wouldnt mention this in the interview... if they know you would be coming out thinking only about pay they wont hire you.

You will get a good couple of hours to ski everyday as clubhotel staff (if you have the energy).

The majority of guests will be school groups, some weeks you will have adults and a few times it could be a mixture of both.
         Jump to Top
jayb
North Yorkshire
#15  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  5 Nov '12 at 18:07
Cheers for all the extra info guys....I realise that people's experiences of working for different companies will vary depending on the current staff, and so the season is really just about what I choose to make of it

I have been placed in Rois Mages ClubHotel in Montgenevre, flying out on the 8th Dec (be great to hear from anyone else heading there) .Getting really excited now, just trying to look through this site for recommendations on gear to take, still struggling a bit on the footwear side of things, but I'm sure i will eventually find a suitable replacement for my converse somewhere.

The STG staff at my interview all seemed very friendly. I understand that it isn't the best paid company to work for...but I'm not in it for the money so as long as i can afford a bit of the local brew and the occasional packet of paracetamol as a treat then i will be happy.

Just need to look into the lift pass options, as not sure what will be included in my contract, but would like to explore the areas over on the Italian side so will have to see how much an upgrade would be.
         Jump to Top
ithetruth
#16  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  9 Nov '12 at 11:31
In reply to jayb (Post #15)

Originally posted by jayb

Cheers for all the extra info guys....I realise that people's experiences of working for different companies will vary depending on the current staff, and so the season is really just about what I choose to make of it

I have been placed in Rois Mages ClubHotel in Montgenevre, flying out on the 8th Dec (be great to hear from anyone else heading there) .Getting really excited now, just trying to look through this site for recommendations on gear to take, still struggling a bit on the footwear side of things, but I'm sure i will eventually find a suitable replacement for my converse somewhere.

The STG staff at my interview all seemed very friendly. I understand that it isn't the best paid company to work for...but I'm not in it for the money so as long as i can afford a bit of the local brew and the occasional packet of paracetamol as a treat then i will be happy.

Just need to look into the lift pass options, as not sure what will be included in my contract, but would like to explore the areas over on the Italian side so will have to see how much an upgrade would be.

Alright pal, Just had my confirmation letter through from STG ill be working at Rois Mages this season as Maintenance, ill be flying out on the 8th off December cannot wait to get out there now, Looking forward to trying the local beer!

Have you found out wether the pass will include Claviere?

Sam
         Jump to Top
Jordan Keenes
Kent
#17  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  26 Nov '12 at 17:27
In reply to ithetruth (Post #16)
Alright Sam

I worked in the Rois Mages last season(returning this year aswell) The lift pass covers claviere if you pay something like €15 or something small, and its the local sprits you need to try, chartreuse is the killer.
See you out there guys

Jordan
         Jump to Top
ithetruth
#18  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  27 Nov '12 at 20:45
In reply to Jordan Keenes (Post #17)
Alright Jordon

Ahh cool! Always up for trying any spirit/beer! Do you fly out on the 8th at Gatwick? What is it that you will be doing? Urge getting excited now....

Sam
         Jump to Top
Mads
#19  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  2 Mar '14 at 13:46
AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE. I am talking about working in their office in Brighton. I don't know what it's like to be a seasonal.

I have never seen anything like that in my life. This company is mad. Probably because all the staff is very young therefore you get the most immature behaviours. All the different departments work against each other. You'd think because they work for the same company they all walk hand in hand but no, in fact, they are all trying to blame the other teams all the time for everything that goes wrong.

The pressure, the stress levels are immense because of this very bad atmosphere and mentality. Like I say, it's crazy. In my team I saw in the space of a few months pretty much each member of the team leaving (about 7 people), one after the other, even though some didn't have another job lined up, just because they couldn't take it anymore and it was better to be out there without a financial safety net than having to deal with all this stress.

The seniors in my team were the most patronising, moody, arrogant persons I ever met. They don't help you. Extremely limited training, no support. Then if you don't know something or get something wrong, you get blamed, shouted at. Like I say, no support at all. They have no time for this because they can't manage their own stress and work load.
For the (very low) money you get, it's not worth it at all.

Don''t waste your time, you will end up just like me and my colleagues, running away with no money and no certainty of what the future will be made of. This is not right to end up in such a position.

I have worked in many places before, and fortunately am now back working in a professional environment; I've never seen anything like the way that this company behaves towards its staff before and hope to never again. I had heard prior to joining the company that the staff turnover was extremely high. There is a very good reason for this. AVOID.
Edited 02/03/2014 @ 14:12 Revision #4
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort