STG travel... a word of warning //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  wy666    On:  Sun 1st July, 2012 at 21:04
wy666
#1  STG travel... a word of warning  1 Jul '12 at 21:04
Just thought I would let any future seasonnaires out there know that I would definitely not work for STG/skiplan/equity or whatever else they are known as, again.
Having had a great season, I returned to be told that I wasn't getting my deposit or monthly retainer money back.
Apparently I had been massively overpaid (in reality it was only a little bit), and the total over payment cancelled out the £350 odd that I was owed.
Its a long story, and STG made many stupid errors, but basically after a long battle and many letters I have finally managed to get them to realize their calculations were completely floored, and they did in fact owe me money. I believe they still owe me about £50 in retainer money due to a discrepancy in how the contract is worded (read your contracts, don't just assume they are OK and sign them!!) but I am happy I finally got most of what I am owed back!
Will
         Jump to Top
brooke
uk
#2  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 10:56
hi, im just about to g for an interview with them for the current season. apart from the fact that they owe you money was it good to work for them? and im only on a uk ancestry visa is that enough to work for them in france or do i need a french working visa also?
         Jump to Top
wy666
#4  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 12:19
I enjoyed the season, I think they are pretty similar to other companies, you should just be careful!!
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#5  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 13:35

Originally posted by brooke

hi, im just about to g for an interview with them for the current season. apart from the fact that they owe you money was it good to work for them? and im only on a uk ancestry visa is that enough to work for them in france or do i need a french working visa also?

Be careful though - even if you're seconded by a British company visa restrictions still apply ... which, if you are Australian for example, probably restrict you to 90 days in France. Check.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

=============================

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#6  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 13:43
Brookers,

You will almost certainly need a visa to work in France if you require a visa to work in the UK, the fact that you are employed by a British company makes no difference. What matters is the immigration policy of the country you are working in, the best policy is to check with the French consulate in the country of your nationality, they will be able to give you the definitive answer.

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
brooke
uk
#7  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 14:25

Originally posted by sandgroper61

Originally posted by brooke

Be careful though - even if you're seconded by a British company visa restrictions still apply ... which, if you are Australian for example, probably restrict you to 90 days in France. Check.

could i just leave and then come back a few days later to get another 90 days?
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#8  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 15:05
Given that you have to apply (and pay) for a French visa, no, probably not. It may not be an issue but I'm very much afraid it will be - mickworld of this parish will be able to tell you, I'm sure.

Are you from Oz?
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

=============================

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
brooke
uk
#9  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 16:30

Originally posted by sandgroper61

Given that you have to apply (and pay) for a French visa, no, probably not. It may not be an issue but I'm very much afraid it will be - mickworld of this parish will be able to tell you, I'm sure.

Are you from Oz?

who is mickworld from this parish.. yeah im from oz!
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#10  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 18:07
That'll be me!

My understanding* is that having a UK Ancestry Visa (as opposed to a UK Working Holiday Visa) means that you can work in France for a UK Tour Operator

What you will also need is a UK National Insurance Number. This can only be applied for in person at a relevant office. The admin etc to get one of these can be lengthy

*I don't work in HR so this is not gospel!
         Jump to Top
brooke
uk
#11  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 20:12
i already have a NI number and bank account etc as ive been here for three months working already. and i did email the uk visa people and they said my visa is only valid in the uk however i dont know how they will find out im working in france if its going into my uk bank account and going through my NI number.. i was hoping someone whos already done it would know if that is the loop hole.. but then after 90 days im guessing i would have to leave france so i was thinking maybe i should get a long stay visa for france
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#12  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  6 Jul '12 at 20:47
Brookers,

I'd still check with the consulate in Australia, whilst you may be able to work in France on your type of UK visa (if Mickers is correct) you will need pretty good French language skills to explain your legal situation if you get a controle, especially as you would be handing over an Australian passport without a work visa in it.

Of course you can always wing it.

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
banners1989
#2  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  25 Sep '12 at 17:46
In reply to wy666 (Post #1)

Originally posted by wy666

Just thought I would let any future seasonnaires out there know that I would definitely not work for STG/skiplan/equity or whatever else they are known as, again.
Having had a great season, I returned to be told that I wasn't getting my deposit or monthly retainer money back.
Apparently I had been massively overpaid (in reality it was only a little bit), and the total over payment cancelled out the £350 odd that I was owed.
Its a long story, and STG made many stupid errors, but basically after a long battle and many letters I have finally managed to get them to realize their calculations were completely floored, and they did in fact owe me money. I believe they still owe me about £50 in retainer money due to a discrepancy in how the contract is worded (read your contracts, don't just assume they are OK and sign them!!) but I am happy I finally got most of what I am owed back!
Will

I stand by this! Worked for STG as a peak season rep for a few weeks last year and didnt get paid for 6 months later!
         Jump to Top
jayb
North Yorkshire
#3  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  3 Oct '12 at 22:21
In reply to banners1989 (Post #2)
uhhh ooo, I've just got a job with them for this season as ClubHotel Staff person thing, slightly worried now as i haven't really herd much else off people about the company apart from just what I've read here.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#4  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  3 Oct '12 at 23:05
In reply to jayb (Post #3)

Originally posted by jayb

uhhh ooo, I've just got a job with them for this season as ClubHotel Staff person thing, slightly worried now as i haven't really herd much else off people about the company apart from just what I've read here.

Jay, don't worry too much. Take a look at the number of posts made by the people saying the company is not good. Who knows what their experience is, or when/if they will ever post again.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
begede
#6  Re: STG travel... a word of warning  4 Oct '12 at 07:09
In reply to WTFH (Post #4)
The experience was they had trouble getting paid and they kindly came on here to warn other potential employees of their troubles.

So jayb if you notice this happening to you too, start stashing away the silver cutlery and waterford crystal.
Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet