Starting a summer chalet business //

Author
  Topic Started By:  BlackTrack    On:  Sat 29th March, 2014 at 18:06
BlackTrack
#1  Starting a summer chalet business  29 Mar '14 at 18:06
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my second winter season now, having graduated from uni a couple of years ago and done summers and winters ever since. The goal has always been to start my own business, and this winter I've managed to work towards that happening this summer. I've found a chalet in France and am ready to sign a contract, have guests ready to book, have figured out most of my costs and got deals with transfer / bike hire companies.

Having been a chef, head chef and chalet manager I know what I'm doing in a chalet to make it run smoothly. What I don't know much about is the behind-the-scenes tax / licence / paperwork side of things.

To possibly complicate things further, my parents live in Munich these days and I'm officially a German resident. I've been told that the German taxes aren't as high as the French ones so it'd be in my interest to register in Germany and just operate in France.

Can anyone offer me any advice about what I need to do to become a legally operating chalet company? The biggest thing I need to know at the moment is either "Yes, you can do it all between now and July and it only costs x Euros" or "No, it costs 4000 Euros for each of your 7 licences and the paperwork takes 6 months"... Just so I know whether to pull the trigger on contracts etc.

After that, any advice on actually getting it done would be great. I'll be providing breakfast and evening meals and so the "Chambres D'Hotes" category seems to apply to me, meaning I have to inform the Mairie. Who do I pay taxes to? What licences do I need? Is there someone I should talk to in Germany which could help me avoid paying double the taxes in France?

Thanks folks.

Rory
         Jump to Top
marcellus
Morillon
#2  Re: Starting a summer chalet business  29 Mar '14 at 18:38
My advice would be to find yourself a decent accountant who understand the French and German company and tax systems but also the French legal system with chambre d'hote.

But would have thought it can all be done between now and july.
The Seasonal Accommodation Professionals.
We can help you find your dream home for the season.

www.livetheseason.com
         Jump to Top
BlackTrack
#3  Re: Starting a summer chalet business  30 Mar '14 at 06:48
Thanks Marcellus!

I think I may have found such an accountant, so I'll get talking to him.

What about licences for the chalet and alcohol, health and safety paperwork, insurance etc? Does anyone have a bit of a check-list of things you need to have in place for a chalet business?

Thanks again.
         Jump to Top
marcellus
Morillon
#4  Re: Starting a summer chalet business  30 Mar '14 at 09:09
If the accountant you've found knows the French System they can usually let you know everything you need to do.

www.livetheseason.com
         Jump to Top
BlackTrack
#5  Re: Starting a summer chalet business  30 Mar '14 at 09:22
He's a German-based accountant that knows a lot about taxes but has nothing whatsoever to do with the leisure industry, including health and safety, licences etc. If anyone has any info please let me know!
         Jump to Top
marcellus
Morillon
#7  Re: Starting a summer chalet business  30 Mar '14 at 16:13
Ah which is why i said you need an accountant who understands both the german and the french company tax systems and the french legal system with chambre d'hotes!

www.livetheseason.com
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet