St anton/Austria advice needed //

Author
  Topic Started By:  sarah_91    On:  Mon 23rd November, 2015 at 14:06
sarah_91
#2  St anton/Austria advice needed  23 Nov '15 at 14:06
I'd like to go work a ski season in Austria, ideally St Anton as it sounds fun. I've never skied before so have no idea what to expect.
My problem is that most of the jobs are going now and I don't want to leave the UK till the beginning of January. So I'm thinking if I cant get a job online at that point then I'll just turn up and try to find one.
Does anyone know of anywhere cheap to stay there? Hostels?
How likely is it I'll be able to get a job or will I have to try somewhere else?
Should I buy ski stuff here in the UK or rent/buy when I'm there?

If anyone could help me out with this it'd be great. Thanks!
         Jump to Top
OLD MAN OF LECH
Administrator
TRAVELING
#3  Re: St anton/Austria advice needed  24 Nov '15 at 16:19
Hi Sarah,

Do you have any skills that would be useful to a UK tour operator or indeed anyone in resort?
If you have it may still be worth applying to them as they always lose staff at the start of season especially over Christmas & New year, when the darlings get "homesick" and realize how much hard work is involved.
If you don't speak German, you probably won't stand much chance of getting a job there just turning up and the UK TO's won't hire in resort much these days.
St Anton is a lot of fun but it a very poor choice for a beginner. Think about somewhere like the Ski Welt which is much better for beginners.
As for equipment. If you do get hired by a UK TO they supply everything you need including ski pass, insurance and equipment. Clothes wise if you don't already own ski wear, get yourself along to ALDI on Dec 3rd. They have great ski wear at ridiculously cheap prices. Good Luck
         Jump to Top
sarah_91
#4  Re: St anton/Austria advice needed  3 Dec '15 at 15:48
In reply to OLD MAN OF LECH (Post #3)
Yeah I do have tons of hospitality, customer service, and hotel receptionist experience. I reckon I'd be well suited to the jobs.
I do know some basic german from school days so would like to learn more. That's why I'd like to go to Austria. I don't mind which resort as long as there's work and accommodation.
I was thinking I'd go the the tour operator route like you say. I'm just worried they'll find replacements for drop outs out of previous applicants. I don't like the idea of missing my chance just to stay home for xmas but ah well. I'll wing it and see.
How'd you find out about aldi winter gear? Sweet heads up though.

Time will tell, thanks for the advice.

If anyone else could add any that'd still be great, thanks!
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort