Some (read: A LOT!) Questions //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Izzle    On:  Thu 3rd November, 2005 at 09:26
Izzle
Calgary, AB, Canada
#1  Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  3 Nov '05 at 09:26
Hello All

This will probably end up as quite a large post, as there are a lot of questions bouncing around inside my skull!

A bit about me. 28, in IT, semi-pro photographer (had work published in books), DJ for 10 years, have renovated 2 houses from scratch. And finally, I really want to do a season (unfortunately looks like it will have to be 06/07 now)

1) Is there ever any DJ work going? I noticed on the D1cks website that they need DJs, but some of the genre's required are not my bag.

2) It makes me chuckle, but on the Job Search facility, it lists IT Staff as a category. Really, are there any IT jobs at all in the mountains?! In my 2 years of keeping an eye on seasonaire sites I've never found one.

3) Considering my renovating and DIY experience (everything from rewiring entire house, plastering, fitting kitchens and bathrooms, central heating system etc etc) do you think it would be easy for me to get a maintenance job?

4) My greatest love is photography. Doing a non-working season (eg PSZ) would let me really concentrate on that. Maybe I could get a job DJing and/or bar work to keep myself busy. Also making first lifts after it's been dumping has its inherent bonuses. Would you take this route, or would you work the season with a TO and then choose to maybe travel Africa during the summer with the money you DIDN'T spend on accom/food etc.

I know some of these will elicit the response of "it's personal preference!" but I just really want some other points of view.

Any and all comments appreciated

Izz

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, felis viverra consectetuer cursus, condimentum dolor ligula vitae, lobortis pellentesque ac diam pellentesque.
         Jump to Top
rodriguez
France
#2  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  3 Nov '05 at 09:43
there are opportunities in the mountains to do just about anything.. IT, photography, DJing, etc, so the answer is that yes, with a little bit of luck and a lot of persistence you can do that kind stuff.

however, the big catch is that you need to know people and have contacts, and generally the only way to do that is by doing a few seasons first... i dont know of anyone who has managed to do something independent their first season, but there are countless people who have made lives out there doing maintenance/building work, IT stuff, running little bars/cafes, doing bits and pieces of photography for various firms, etc, but most of them have done it after being out for 3-4 (in some cases more) seasons with a TO.

unless you get (for example) a DJing job with Dicks or one of the very few places that hire DJs or a maintenance job with a TO, you will struggle your first season doing any of the things on that list. if you do a few though, you will be amazed by how many contacts you will pick up and suddenly little bits & pieces of opportunity will present themselves.
         Jump to Top
Izzle
Calgary, AB, Canada
#3  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  3 Nov '05 at 09:54
Cheers for the prompt reply Rod!

I kind of feared most of what you said. I think I'll probably end up doing a number of seasons after the first, if I can eek out an existence in the snow!

One thing I forgot to mention was that if I did a non-working season, I will easily be able to get the money together before next season to pay for all the accom, food, etc. I'm just wondering if its better spent on 6 months travelling after season!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, felis viverra consectetuer cursus, condimentum dolor ligula vitae, lobortis pellentesque ac diam pellentesque.
         Jump to Top
rodriguez
France
#4  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  3 Nov '05 at 12:43
It really depends on what you want out of the season. If you absolutely MUST have access to the mountain from open to close every day, pay your own way and bum it. If you are cool with maybe 70% of that amount on the mountain, then work it. Get a job in a bar or something and you will be amazed at how many people you meet, and it's not really work anyway. There will be maybe 3 powder days during the season that you might get screwed on, but the benefits will probably outweigh the drawbacks.
         Jump to Top
Izzle
Calgary, AB, Canada
#5  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  3 Nov '05 at 12:50
You've raised an integral point for my heading out there - to meet people! I am a little worried that if I bum it (even in a shared chalet like PSZ) it'll be a bit restrictive in that sense, without the same sense of camaraderie. Hmmmm

Even so, I think I'm still leaning (at the moment at least!) to putting the money away this year so I can bum next season, get a feel for the opportunities and make contacts, and look to maybe coming out again the season after to work independantly.

Oh who knows, I don't even knbow my own mind!

Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#6  Re: Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:15

Originally posted by Izzle

Hello All

This will probably end up as quite a large post, as there are a lot of questions bouncing around inside my skull!

A bit about me. 28, in IT, semi-pro photographer (had work published in books), DJ for 10 years, have renovated 2 houses from scratch. And finally, I really want to do a season (unfortunately looks like it will have to be 06/07 now).....

1) Is there ever any DJ work going? I noticed on the D1cks website that they need DJs, but some of the genre's required are not my bag...... email them a sample.... who knows... they may give you a bell then you are out for six weeks and ask you to come and do a night or two. equally if you can play it do so if it earns you the cash[/b:4641b1c438]

2) It makes me chuckle, but on the Job Search facility, it lists IT Staff as a category. Really, are there any IT jobs at all in the mountains?! In my 2 years of keeping an eye on seasonaire sites I've never found one........it is difficult, once an opening comes up for office based work abroad a lot of people go for it, becuase of the lifestyle mixed with the balance of an office job... the best you can do is email the Tour Opps that have overseas offices and keep doign so[/b:4641b1c438]

3) Considering my renovating and DIY experience (everything from rewiring entire house, plastering, fitting kitchens and bathrooms, central heating system etc etc) do you think it would be easy for me to get a maintenance job?... [b:4641b1c438]Hell yes although they do like some sort of certification when i comes to electrics.... have yuo ever seen french electrics!!!! you are likely to get blown accross the room every five mins![/b:4641b1c438]

4) My greatest love is photography. Doing a non-working season (eg PSZ) would let me really concentrate on that. ........[b:4641b1c438]When you get to resort go and see the poeple who organise the apres ski events like tabogoning, torchlight decent etc.... and drop them a sample... the work will boar you to tears... happy punters on a bobsleigh etc etc... also go and visit all loacl art galleries, gift shops etc etc....why not even talk to the local tourist offices and find out who produces the postcards for resort... and then send them a sample of your landscape/action pics

Maybe I could get a job DJing and/or bar work to keep myself busy. Also making first lifts after it's been dumping has its inherent bonuses. Would you take this route, or would you work the season with a TO and then choose to maybe travel Africa during the summer with the money you DIDN'T spend on accom/food etc...... [b:4641b1c438]have you looked intot he cost of accomodation for the season... this can be pricey....17k or something daft i think someone mentioned for a posh resort

I know some of these will elicit the response of "it's personal preference!" but I just really want some other points of view.

Any and all comments appreciated

Izz

At the end of the day do you you feel is right
         Jump to Top
Izzle
Calgary, AB, Canada
#7  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:29
Some really good advice there RM2. Cheers

17k?! The stuff I was looking at with PS0 was in the region of £2300 from Dec to May, in a self-catering shared chalet in Cham

Jump to Top
SchoffelShuffle
Anywhere and Nowhere
#8  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:32
sorry, can't put forward any useful advice but izzle really, the avatar, it's terrifying me.

:disbelief:
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#9  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:32

Some really good advice there RM2. Cheers

17k?! The stuff I was looking at with PS0 was in the region of £2300 from Dec to May, in a self-catering shared chalet in Cham

I was more pointing out the cost that some places can get to... ie courchevel 1850 is pricey so a two or three bed place will set yu back mor ethat it would in another resort!
         Jump to Top
Izzle
Calgary, AB, Canada
#10  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:35
Becs - Muahahaha!

RM2 - Aye, to Bum in Courch I think I'd need to sell a kidney. I've stayed in La Tania a few times though, and the Pub is always good for a laugh. Hmmm, Meribel. Hmmmm, I have a lot of chin rubbing to do

Jump to Top
SchoffelShuffle
Anywhere and Nowhere
#11  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:37

Becs - Muahahaha!

RM2 - Aye, to Bum in Courch I think I'd need to sell a kidney. I've stayed in La Tania a few times though, and the Pub is always good for a laugh. Hmmm, Meribel. Hmmmm, I have a lot of chin rubbing to do

you have a lot of chin to rub! almost your whole head is chin!!

Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#12  Re: Some (read: A LOT!) Questions  5 Nov '05 at 16:40

Originally posted by bectoria

Becs - Muahahaha!

you have a lot of chin to rub! almost your whole head is chin!!

And he even looks the same if you turn the monitor upsidedown!
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort