Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant) //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Laura173    On:  Sat 31st March, 2012 at 22:51
Laura173
England
#1  Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  31 Mar '12 at 22:51
Hi!
I'm thinking of deferring my entry for uni this year to 2013 and taking a year out. I have always wanted to do a ski season preferably in France but i wasn't sure how difficult it would be for an 18 year old to get a job? I have been looking at chalet assistants/persons or any job that requires not amazing ski ability and not amazing cooking ability!

I've heard most companies like people with experience in certain things (which hopefully i will have by then!) but i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the likelihood of any 18 year old getting a job in France?

I'm wanting to let my first choice at uni know if i wish to deffer asap but would prefer to be more certain of getting a season job before letting them know i am going to put off for a year and then end up without a ski job!
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#2  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  1 Apr '12 at 09:08
Hello,

I did my first season at 18 just like hundreds (thousands, even?) of other people every year. You should have no problems.

Just get your CV all ship-shaped and Bristol-fashion and you'll be gravy.
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
Laura173
England
#3  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  1 Apr '12 at 11:37
Okay phew! Thank you!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#4  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  1 Apr '12 at 18:07
Apply as assistant host / club hotel host and those kind of jobs to

Skiworld
Mark Warner
Ski Total
Esprit
Crystal
Ski Olympic

And you should get a job no problem. Apply in May time and make sure you have an easy to read CV, any "experience" in Waitressing / any hospitality etc will help you, if not, make sure you sound responsible and not like somebody who is going to freak out and become unreliable when away from home and free from the constraits of school / college.

I also did my 1st season at 18 and ran my own chalet. (God knows why they let me do that - I couldn't cook for toffee back then) but good luck!!!
         Jump to Top
Heather
Les Coches
#5  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  2 Apr '12 at 11:54
Hi Laura,

As Rodent and Peds say, you should have no trouble finding a job at 18 - good luck!

One piece of advice is to focus on your experience, positives etc and leave your age out of the equation. Don't put age or date of birth onto your cv or mention it in your covering letter, and only put it onto an application form if you are specifically asked to do so.

A covering letter which says " I am friendly and helpful with a years customer service experience working in a local shop" is much more likely to be successful than one which says "I am a mature 18 year old who has just passed my A levels" as the second highlights your age more strongly.

Try to include examples of responsibility and independance on your cv, and definitely! go to any interviews on your own using public transport and don't let your parents take you - this shows that you are able to organise and look after yourself.

Good luck with your application!

Best wishes,
Heather
Catered chalet holidays in Les Coches with www.ice-fire.co.uk
         Jump to Top
Laura173
England
#6  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  2 Apr '12 at 13:19
Thank you so much this is all so helpful!!
I will definitely take on board all the comments when writing my CV etc.
Luckily i have the years customer service, but no experience in restaurants or cafe's. Unless i can get a job in the next month i'm hoping that won't be too much of a set back for me!
Thank you again!
Laura
         Jump to Top
nikid93
Swansea
#7  Re: RE:  3 Apr '12 at 14:36
Hi there i did my first season this year at the age of 18 but i wasnt working as a chalet assistance nor anything to do with chalets, i would honest recommend looking init doing something like instructing and you dont have to be a good skiier either, i bet you thinking what the?? well there is a company called SKI LE GAP, i done this, I got my level 1 CASI and then I taught for the remaining season and then took my level 2 at the end of the season there are to different courses you can take, intensive 4 weeks (i done this) & the ultimate training 3 months. they can teach you to ski in this one

there a different option for you, by the way, best time of my life im going back to Canada, same mountain, same ski school everything, i cant wait, roll on season 12/13
All the best, Niki
         Jump to Top
begede
#8  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  3 Apr '12 at 19:49
If you are 18, you are technically an adult, age discrimination is illegal.
Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top
Laura173
England
#9  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  4 Apr '12 at 15:49
Niki thats so good to hear. A ski instructor type does sound great but i think i fancy working off the snow for the work part in a hotel or chalet. I don't think id be any good teaching anything anyway and i've heard most teaching courses are quite expensive?
         Jump to Top
Heather
Les Coches
#10  Re: Ski season job for aged 18/19??! (Chalet assistant)  5 Apr '12 at 07:22

Originally posted by

If you are 18, you are technically an adult, age discrimination is illegal.

Maybe you should phone some of the big TOs? They don't seem to have noticed :P
Catered chalet holidays in Les Coches with www.ice-fire.co.uk
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Crystal ski rep or working as a waitress
- Luggage - how much?
- Which resort?
- Ski/Surf Freelance Writing Work
- Ski Season in Switzerland
- Moutiers Apartment Rental/Share from December
- Chalet Host - Menu
- Accommodation in Val D'Isere - 3/4 weeks of season