Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc //

< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  *~Larry~*    On:  Wed 21st September, 2005 at 08:55
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#16  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:10

Originally posted by matty-c

From Queenstown, head down towards Glenorchy along the side of the lake. From there you should see signs for Paradise.Drive along and the road turns into a gravel track and then just rough ground and you start driving thr=ough the forest and even through streams and fords. Awesome. You are in the middle of nowhere and it is amazing. When you cant drive any further go for a walk throughb the trails.
We did this about 4 years ago and I bet it still the same. Total unspoilt beauty. Any car will do but might have to leave just the driver in when going through some of the streams

Cheers Matty!!!! All noted! (not sure if you remember me..I knew you when you worked in El Poncho's and I worked at the Bellevue (MW 00/01) and then again for Skiworld as Chalet Supervisor (winter01/02).....saw your pic in one of the d&%k's picture sets on their web site!!!!

You still in touch with the other guys who worked in El P's??? and Dan (and the rest of the sick boy dudes??) xx
EVERY TIME GRIFF GETS IN HIS HOT TUB - GOD KILLS A KITTEN.

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#17  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:18
Find someone to guide you around. Preferrably someone who has never been to Aus before, but once drank a tinny of Fosters on a family holiday in the UK, aged approx 14.
         Jump to Top
matty-c
#18  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:19
Yep certainly do . When was in NZ had Kat and Rich come down from Methven and I think it was Holly too. There were loads of lads from Meribel that year....G , Welsh Andy and Neal from the pub and Binxy , Kieran steve and Jamie Craven. Real mad year.
Wee man still out in Meribel and Lanky and most others.
Saturday nights at Poncho's. Ah those were the days

Now a Sherpa Super marche BaStArDs !!!!!!!
         Jump to Top
matty-c
#19  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:25
Try and see as much of south Island as poss. It is a mazing. You'll have wicked time. Winnie Baygo's in Queenstown with the opening roof. Tiny place called Twizel, totally out of the way. Timaru just for the way the Kiwi's say it. Milford Sound. Mount Hutt and Canterbury Plains

Wanna go back now
Dont forget Chickenburger Tuesday at Maccy Ds $2 each about 70 p
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#20  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:29

Originally posted by Kenzie

Find someone to guide you around. Preferrably someone who has never been to Aus before, but once drank a tinny of Fosters on a family holiday in the UK, aged approx 14.

Better than that, just pay them to follow you around.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#21  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:45

Originally posted by matty-c

Yep certainly do . When was in NZ had Kat and Rich come down from Methven and I think it was Holly too. There were loads of lads from Meribel that year....G , Welsh Andy and Neal from the pub and Binxy , Kieran steve and Jamie Craven. Real mad year.
Wee man still out in Meribel and Lanky and most others.
Saturday nights at Poncho's. Ah those were the days

Now a Sherpa Super marche BaStArDs !!!!!!!

Awww! I remember when everyone went out to Methven/Mt Hutt for that winter - kat said she had an awesome time. I'm still in touch with her, emailed her not long ago to ask about NZ - you know she's just qualified as a Primary School teacher and is living with her partner (I forget her name) in Oxford now.

Somewhere at home i have some f*cking hillarious pics of the last fancy dress at Poncho's - Big Andy from the ronnie dressed up as a woman - oh lordy!!!! and some great ones from the year before when there was the beach theme!!

Didn't some of you go to Jersey after one season with Brettney etc??

You got an email addy for Dan? Not been able to get in touch as lost my mobile with his french mob number on it - nbot sure if he's on the same old email addy either.....are him and Gemma still together??

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#22  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:55
went to the witsunday islands for a sail round-was gorgeous.
Dont go to Canberra!
Port Douglas (sp?) also very nice.

I hate bus tours but the magic bus for NZ was SOOOOOOO much fun if you have 10 days or so spare. They take you to all the really great places so you dont waste time getting somewhere and finding theres f^%k all to do. I met lots of Irish, hmmm. And try and go to one of those traditional maori hangy/hangi, I have no idea what they're called things-really great fun!
I hear Vanuatu, in the south pacific is worth a visit but I recall looking at the prices to get to those islands, and they were steep, to say the least!

hmm, I dunno, I'm crap at remembering things.
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#23  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:57
also, everyone talks about bondi (again, cant spell), but i thought it was sh*t, and not worth going at all! Just my opinion. But Sydney fish market is good for a go!
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#24  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 15:33
Thanks for more advice Vix!! xx

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
ski_bummer
Wherever there's snow...
#25  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  22 Sep '05 at 10:34
Do the massive bungy jump in Queenstown!! And sky diving!! Its amazing!!
Life is too short to hit the small stuff
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#26  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  22 Sep '05 at 11:04
Weed is definetly not legal in Nimbin. But its funny that so manythink so.
I read one story about a japanese tourist who went to the police station complaining of getting ripped off in a pot deal...
The place used to be a kind of hippy paradis where people searching for alternative living went to. This being the case, the police there used to be much more tolerant of drug use in Nimbin than in other parts of Australia.
These days I dunno. I've only been there once and I wasn't too impressed. The place is full of heroin users. Bad atmosphere I thought. But then I'm Australian. Tourists seem to love the place, so maybe you will as well. Just don't spend more than a day there. Oh yeh, once a year they have a competition called the annual weed harvesting festival or something. Its quite famous I think. Don't know what the cops think of it these days but I guess if there is enough people doing it and you can run fast...

Generally the same rule applies in Nimbin as in Byron and other places along the northern NSW coast. If you have weed, try and smoke it on a private premises or if its at night, maybe on the beach. If you do wanna do it outside during the day, just be really careful.

the general area around byron, nimbin etc is also a great place to go magic mushroom picking. If its summer and there are a few days of rain they grow pop up out of cowpats and you can make tea with them.

Definitetly check out Byron. But if you find it too touristy then Ballina, and some other smaller towns near by have some good beaches as well.

Melbourne is really cool. Make sure you check out St Kilda and Carlton.

Have you thought about hiring some bikes and cycling round the Southern NZ for a bit?
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#27  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  22 Sep '05 at 11:11
just thinking if I was a tourist in Aus...hmm.Check out Melbourne. Check out Sydney, its not as good as Melbourne. Then look at Byron. Maybe spend a day in Bribane but its really quite boring. then check out the sunny coast and follow it up to cairns/great barrier reef etc. Then maybe Alice Springs and definetly look at Ayers Rock. Adeliade and Perth are other options but there very far away from the rest of Aus. Other than that I guess you could check out some small out back towns for a couple of hours just for a laugh. Not really anywhere else I would recommend.

If you are into activities like Hiking, mountain biking etc there are some nice places around Melbourne Bris and Sydney. But then you are going to NZ anyway so just do them there.

Oh yeh, don't forget about Tasmania
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#28  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  22 Sep '05 at 11:20
Thanks for all that info Kite man!!! I'm jotting all this info down so when we get there, we'll have a better Idea of what to do and where to go. x

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#29  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  22 Sep '05 at 13:02
Yeah Melbourne is EXCELLENT!! Def one of my top cities. If you're out there in Feb you can go to the St Kilda fest which is pretty cool - right on the beach! Melbourne has the best clubs I've ever been too as well, and everyone is just totally gorgeous and hot...! Went to a few good places around Hawthorn and Windsor as well as in the centre.

Perth is apparently really amazing. I've never been myself but loads of my Aussie mates did a surfing trip out there. It's pretty quiet so I reckon a week would be enough, but you can fly there return for about £90 with Virgin Blue. The beaches are supposed to be really clean and beautiful.

But I'd def go to Melbourne for a while if you can. Preferred it to Sydney myself. Don't know if you've been before but you'll never want to leave! Worth a trip down to Phillip Island and Sorrento/Portsea during the summer too. Portsea has some stupendously massive houses and there's an awesome pub right on the bay. Phillip Island is just like Cornwall - weird but true IMHO... It's pretty quiet but some of the walks along the headlands are really amazing. I guess you'll need a car to get down there though and if you have one, you might want to go in the opposite direction from Melb and do some of the Great Ocean Road via Bells Beach etc too.

Ooo am jealous of your trip! Have an amazing time.
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#30  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  23 Sep '05 at 11:25
Oh yeh...When you are in Melbourne go to Ackland St. in Saint Kilda, it has all these little cake stores on it. Reallllly nice. And at the end of the st is the beach so you can eat your cake while watching the ocean.
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort