Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  *~Larry~*    On:  Wed 21st September, 2005 at 08:55
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#1  Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 08:55

I shall be off in about 6 weeks, all going to plan.

Quite excited really, but the noevlty of being excited and talking about my trip has worn off, which is starting to confuse people because I can't be arsed to talk about my plans overand over and over again anymore!

Just generally wanted to ask a few questions..... if any of you have been over that side of the world New Zealand and Australia - where would you recommend going once there and what would you recommend seeing?

Our trip starts off in Auckland, travelling down to Wellington and over into South Island, down to Queenstown then ending up in Christchurch (we've got 6 weeks) and we were thinking of hiring a car and driving it (they'll be three of us) - good idea? bad idea? We have a few ideas of what we want to do there - there's the Lord of the Rings trail thingy in Queenstown i think and there's some funky xtreme sports on rivers and stuff in Christchurch and Whale watching etc up in Auckland - any other ideas???

Flying over to Sydney for Xmas and New Year - hoping to stay there for a while and work - in between going up to Alice Springs then down to Adelaide and Melbourne then up the Gold Coast to Cairns......(returning to Sydney eventually to get flights to Bangkok after about 6 months or so).

Is there anywhere I should or shouldn't go, do or see??? Best places to go or stay etc??? At least two of us will be wanting to work for at least half of our stay in OZ - is there anywhere we should avoid for this or go inparticular? Best and Worst jobs??? (I have baaad arachnaphobia so I've been told certain types of fruit picking is not good for that sort of thing!)

Heard there's a wicked place up by Byron (sp?) Bay where smoking weed is legal and they have a day trip thing to go there - good / bad???

We're trying not to plan too much, so that we can leave some of it to chance when we get there depending on who we meet and things we hear out there that are good and bad to go, but it doesn't hurt to have a few good ideas before you go - so if anyone has anything they feel they want to share then please go right ahead.....

**edit** for got to ask - best way to get about in OZ? Internal flights, coach or train, hiring a camper van/car or buying one??

Cheapest?

Longest? Possibly train or bus I would have thought - but to get from one place to another, depending on where it is i.e Sydney to Alice Springs - best way to get there? I've heard flying? But there's also a train and a coach - what's the advice with respect to getting about?
EVERY TIME GRIFF GETS IN HIS HOT TUB - GOD KILLS A KITTEN.

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#2  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:04
not alot of help as have never been there (one day, one day) but hear the weed place is totallly wicked!!!!
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#3  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:06

Originally posted by rodent

not alot of help as have never been there (one day, one day) but hear the weed place is totallly wicked!!!!

My sister went there when she was over there - can't remember what the place is called now. Her advice on this one was to go there for just the day as it's a bit rough and not an ideal place to stay for longer. There was some sort of festival on when she was there with skinning up comps. The winner getting an ounce of skunk or something!!!

Just wanted other views on it, cos I've got a feeling I might get there, and never leave!!

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
Avin it in the snow
Dorset - Surrounded by country farmers!
#4  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:09
Hey Larry

I'm out in Sydney at the moment, its cool, worth checking out, definitely got that big city feel. I Came here from Darwin Via Alice and Adelaide, Adelaide in particular good place. Its supposed to be the city of Churces?? More like the city of strip joints and pokies

Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#5  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:09
Try PMing Helsbels, I think she's been out there.
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#6  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:26

Originally posted by Avin it in the snow

Hey Larry

I'm out in Sydney at the moment, its cool, worth checking out, definitely got that big city feel. I Came here from Darwin Via Alice and Adelaide, Adelaide in particular good place. Its supposed to be the city of Churces?? More like the city of strip joints and pokies

Hey! How long you out there for? Or have you been out there for?

Kenzie - cheers - will do.

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#7  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:47
Larry,
Try this:-
http://www.natives.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1683
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#8  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:55
Um, Gold Coast is a bit tacky/tourist. I prefer the Sunshine coast (north of Brisbane)
When you're in Cairns, hire a car and go further up to Port Douglas, also take a day trip out to the barrier reef.
Around Sydney, do a cruise on the harbour. I never though much of the north side, apart from Manly beach and Tarronga Park Zoo.
South of the river, well there's the Rocks and Kings Cross.
If you want to go to Bondi Beach, then do, but be prepared to be sorely disappointed if you're expecting something amazing or special.
From memory, February is the rainy season in QLD, so it would be very hot and humid up north.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#9  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 09:59
Thanks for that Kenz. x

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#10  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 10:02
WTFH - Not expecting much from Boni anyway - my sister was there and has told me about it, so not all that bothered really - just wanna go there to say I've been and have picture taken there

We're staying with my mum's friends in Sydney harbour for xmas and new year so they'll be able to show us about a bit too.

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#11  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 10:07

Originally posted by *~Larry~*

WTFH - Not expecting much from Boni anyway ... just wanna go there to say I've been and have picture taken there [/quote:1b657f55e8]

That's exactly what I did too!

[quote:1b657f55e8="*~Larry~*"]We're staying with my mum's friends in Sydney harbour for xmas and new year so they'll be able to show us about a bit too.

OK, that might be a good time to be on the north side - if you want to sit out on a veranda, and watch the fireworks/etc on the bridge and the south side.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#12  Re: Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 10:41

Heard there's a wicked place up by Byron (sp?) Bay where smoking weed is legal and they have a day trip thing to go there - good / bad???

The weed place is called Nimbin. It's worth doing a day trip to, but these days it's more of a freak show than a hippy paradise. The hippy museum there is quite cool, and weed is effectively legal, but unless you are a very hardcore hippy (in which case i don't reckon you'd be a poster on natives, or even use the internet at all), then i wouldn't stay any longer than that.

You will absolutely love Byron Bay, and there's not exactly a shortage of weed there! Allow yourself plenty of time to hang out there and get to know the locals a bit. If you like the relaxed 'surf/ski resort' lifestyle you'll love it.
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#13  Re: Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 10:51

best way to get about in OZ? Internal flights, coach or train, hiring a camper van/car or buying one??

Cheapest?

Longest? Possibly train or bus I would have thought - but to get from one place to another, depending on where it is i.e Sydney to Alice Springs - best way to get there? I've heard flying? But there's also a train and a coach - what's the advice with respect to getting about?

I've done the east coast of aus a few times, both for work and play. I would one hundred percent recommend buying a car or camper van in Sydney, and drive it up to Cairns (or the other way round). In fact go further north than Cairns (port douglas, cape trib etc), but you're probably best to come back down to cairns to sell it. We worked on the theory that a cheap car would probably break down, and an expensive car would probably break down, so got the cheapest we could find (an old holden commodore for $500, which we sold afterwards for $550). If you buy a holden or a ford, then every village you go past, or every farm, will have someone who has some spare parts and knows how to fix it if needs be. Having the car gave us so much flexibility, rather than getting trains or buses. Lots of the highlights of my trips have been stopping off at random villages we didn't even know where there, or weren't shown on the map - we would have missed out on all of that getting overnight trains or long distance buses.

Having said that, if you are in more of a hurry, then the internal flights are very good and pretty cheap. Virgin Blue and Qantas are the two budget companies. I have never driven to Alice, but flown there after selling the car, and was pretty happy with the decision to do that.

If you're planning any driving in Aus, don't underestimate the distances. Driving Perth to Sydney is a MASSIVE trip. I would only do it if you have a LOT of time.

I've also taken overnight buses and trains, and have no real complaints about them.

Whatever you end up doing, have a fantastic trip! (and i don't mean a Nimbin style trip!)
         Jump to Top
*~Larry~*
Bern, Switzerland
#14  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 11:15
Thanks Drifter! Lots of useful info - noted!

We've talked about getting a car and driving the East Coast - it sounds like the most fun, and you don't have to mess about getting on and off busses as you say.

We're not going to venture over to Perth, or indeed visit Darwin, unless we have enough time at the endof the trip before going onto Thailand, I was going to save that for another time!!! ;)

TRUE STORY.
         Jump to Top
matty-c
#15  Re: Right...not long now.....any advice, tips, hints etc  21 Sep '05 at 14:06
From Queenstown, head down towards Glenorchy along the side of the lake. From there you should see signs for Paradise.Drive along and the road turns into a gravel track and then just rough ground and you start driving thr=ough the forest and even through streams and fords. Awesome. You are in the middle of nowhere and it is amazing. When you cant drive any further go for a walk throughb the trails.
We did this about 4 years ago and I bet it still the same. Total unspoilt beauty. Any car will do but might have to leave just the driver in when going through some of the streams
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort