Park City //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  sandgroper61    On:  Wed 3rd August, 2005 at 22:50
sandgroper61
London
#1  Park City  3 Aug '05 at 22:50
G'day . . . looks like I'm about to accept a job instructing at Park City, Utah.

Anyone who knows the place? Let me have the benefit of your knowledge!

It's been a monsoon in Mt Buller the past two days, but it's sort of snowing now . . .
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

=============================

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#2  Re: Park City  4 Aug '05 at 00:28
I've been there. Nice place. A bit more of a resort town than most in Utah. It has a great main street, including a Cows shop. I can't remember the name of the bar I used to go to - might have been the "Pig Pen Saloon" or something like that - it was up near the ice rink.
Some nice steeper stuff up to the left (can't remember the name, and it is 12.40am).

And a bit of advice - when the weather closes in, take the black runs down. (You'll understand when it happens!)

Oh, and be prepared for me saying hello at the end of January.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
xpresso
#3  Re: Park City  4 Aug '05 at 23:13
Hey bud long time!! Dont know about Park City but thought you aussies were having a cold one this season? my girlfriend said her parents thought it was the coldest ever, hence me being very pissed at the missed oppertunity at BawBaw. Dubai in 31 days!!!
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#4  Re: Park City  8 Aug '05 at 04:43
WTFH: good news. I'll look forward to seeing you . . .

Xpresso: Be glad you didn't go to BawBaw, from what I hear it has less snow than us, and that can't be good. Snowed overnight again, but only about 3cm. More expected. Must remember to do a snowbite for Iain. But I can tell you, it ain't cold. Trust me on this. Wet, yes. Foggy, yes. Windy, regularly. But cold? No.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#6  Re: Park City  8 Aug '05 at 12:46
Has anyone been out in Hotham?

I just got an e-mail from a mate who is out there trying to make me jealous saying there has already been more powder days there than there was in Val all of last season...

I dont know if I believe him...
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#7  Re: Park City  8 Aug '05 at 13:08

Originally posted by mista

Has anyone been out in Hotham?

I just got an e-mail from a mate who is out there trying to make me jealous saying there has already been more powder days there than there was in Val all of last season...

I dont know if I believe him...

Is he selling coke?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#8  Re: Park City  8 Aug '05 at 13:31

Originally posted by WTFH

Is he selling coke?

I wouldn't be surprised cos he seems to do absolutely burger all else...
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#9  Re: Park City  18 Aug '05 at 04:43
mista: sounds like he's been caught up in the world of Aussie ski marketing, where the definition of powder is, shall we say, loose. At best. Last season was rubbish for powder in Meribel, but I had at least 14 days and there is no way on god's green earth, with the emphasis on green, here, that your mate has had anything like that in Hotham or anywhere else. It's a poor season here.

Not that it matters to me right now . . . as I sit waiting to go to Albury-Wodonga for the MRI on what doctors and physio tell me is almost guaranteed to be a ruptured ACL in my left knee.

Park City is fading miserably away at the moment.

B*gger.

Jump to Top
arno
#10  Re: Park City  18 Aug '05 at 07:37

Originally posted by Sandgroper61

Not that it matters to me right now . . . as I sit waiting to go to Albury-Wodonga for the MRI on what doctors and physio tell me is almost guaranteed to be a ruptured ACL in my left knee.

join the club! that's terrible news. only silver lining is that Aussie knee surgeons seem the be at the cutting edge, or that was the impression i got in the run up to having mine put back together

had mine done almost exactly a year ago but managed to have a bit of a ski in January. this was against physio's advice however
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#11  Re: Park City  18 Aug '05 at 09:36
SG, hope you get sorted out soon. Have a few drinks, you'll be right as rain...
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#12  Re: Park City  19 Aug '05 at 00:29
arno: they are good, but you have to get the right one. Mate of mine did his ACL on moguls at Hotham some time back, went to a bloke called Julian Feller in Melbourne, had the right physio (Randall Cooper, Aussie ski team physio), and was doing 5km runs six weeks later. An Aussie Rules pro who did his knee at the same time went to an older surgeon and was still on crutches six weeks later.

Mind, my mate was pumped with painkillers and loaded with ice packs as his team had him walk up and down a flight of steps, and starting on a regime of four exercises, with 40 reps, three times a day, from the day after the op. And the op was at 5pm. A lot of surgeons still go the two-week rest routine.

WTFH: I'm taking it a little easy on the drink option, as exercise is a bit limited at the minute. Speaking of which, off to the gym for some leg work (got to keep those quads in shape) . . . because muscle wastage is a problem with this.

Jump to Top
arno
#13  Re: Park City  19 Aug '05 at 07:15
Think my surgeon was somewhere between those two extremes. The day after the op, they got me out of bed and had me going up and down stairs (with the help of crutches). Once I'd shown them I could do that they sent me home.

Makes you realise how far the procedure has come. My boss had her ACL done about 15 years ago. The scar is about 18 inches long (mine is 1 inch tops) and she was in hospital for 6 weeks!

Muscle wastage is a wierd thing. As WTFH knows (from another forum, not a private viewing) my injured leg is still smaller than the uninjured one. Strangely, they're about the same strength now

Good luck with it all
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#14  Re: Park City  28 Aug '05 at 23:36
Cheers, Arno. Op tomorrow (Tuesday) . . . fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, ParkCity have told me to come over anyway - and ski when I'm ready. I can work in other areas until I'm ready to instruct.

I like these guys already!

Jump to Top
arno
#15  Re: Park City  30 Aug '05 at 20:23
Guess it's been done now. Hope you're enjoying the morphine but not needing it too much. Good luck with the rehab. Sounds like you'll have fun in Park City
         Jump to Top
xpresso
#16  Re: Park City  30 Aug '05 at 21:29
Hey bud, hope the surgery went ok today and your back fighting crime soon as! am leaving on friday so will email you what its like....if they have invented computers out there ;)
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort