New site //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  adamrowden    On:  Tue 11th September, 2012 at 14:50
begede
#77  Re: New site  12 Sep '12 at 19:48
Yey to the admin, that newbie, senior member thing has gone... thats a good thing for the NOF's who don't need reminding their members are senior.

now is there a way to mark a thread / topic as read without having to read it or click on it to change it back to blue from pink. There is a lot of blue and pink going on around here... subliminal advertising from one of the corporate sponsors ????
Edited 12/09/2012 @ 19:50 Revision #1
Bectoria wrote Bwahahahaha post of the day. Post of the week!! Awesome.
Boggart wrote One of the funniest replies for months...well done!

-You can only be young once. But, you can always be immature.
-Just when you realize life’s a b1tch, it has puppies.
         Jump to Top
big white lines
Leicester
#78  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 13:54
In reply to begede (Post #77)
Well - i've finally managed to log in. It's been sending the reset to my junk.

I imagine the pain in the ass to get the password re-set will be enough to stop some infrequent visitors to the site.

I guess that's a good way to please the advertisers - locking out repeat visitors (who you know their data) to the site, but I guess you had thought that through and calculated that you were happy to lose that portion of your database.
Edited 14/09/2012 @ 13:55 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
daisyslightlymiffed
#79  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 15:13
what Boggart said... all of it.

And, for want of a post telling us this was happening (and asking us to update our emails) what should have been something we were looking forward to, and felt a part of has been turned into a teeth grinding frustration fest that takes the rise out of the notion of 'community'.

Nice one for temporarily turning a community into inmates.

As for the white; I'm wearing my sunglasses. No really. I've been trying to get back in and read this thread for half an hour and I've got a splitting headache.

Boo. Not for the change but for such a cack handed effort.

New logo is nice though.

d x

at least the edit button works
Edited 14/09/2012 @ 15:16 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#80  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 18:15
In reply to daisyslightlymiffed (Post #79)

Originally posted by daisyslightlymiffed

As for the white; I'm wearing my sunglasses. No really. I've been trying to get back in and read this thread for half an hour and I've got a splitting headache.

I'm a tad confused by this. Why does one website that is black on white give you a headache and force you to wear sunglasses when other websites, such as Facebook, or email, or word processing documents also use exactly the same colours for background and text are not a problem?

In fact, the old Natives (1st generation) had less colour on the forum than this, and the 2nd generation was black on white with blue bits too.

Is the issue actually that there aren't vertical adverts either side of the posts?
Edited 14/09/2012 @ 18:56 Revision #1
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
daisyslightlymiffed
#81  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 19:46
Fair comment. I've been searching for a car on ebay far oat least an hour, and thats about as white as it gets.

In mitigation I've just started using (yesterday) a 32" monitor for work and maybe the headache has more to do with that than the new look natives site.

I'm probably just narked about the kerfuffle of logging in (or not being able to) and the cack-handeness of the changeover.

Design/functionality hey ho... I'm no expert. Happy with change.

dx
         Jump to Top
begede
#82  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 19:56
In reply to WTFH (Post #80)

Originally posted by WTFH

I'm a tad confused by this. Why does one website that is black on white give you a headache and force you to wear sunglasses when other websites, such as Facebook, or email, or word processing documents also use exactly the same colours for background and text are not a problem?

In fact, the old Natives (1st generation) had less colour on the forum than this, and the 2nd generation was black on white with blue bits too.

Is the issue actually that there aren't vertical adverts either side of the posts?

Please don't suggest more advertising in the forum......

But, I was thinking the same thing FB and other sites are also white backgrounds. I think the difference is firstly the way you use other sites a lot more clicking on links, photos etc and secondly natives at the moment feels like a completely white screen whereas the other sites are busier in their colours which are more broken up over the white screen. even word has a different colour around the page you are typing or that too i think would be dazzling.

I hope natives maybe could change these text boxes to a pale blue and the quote boxes slightly darker as I find this white all over screen dazzling. Otherwise I will just do my reading on the other channel which has a coloured background to the text... bedtime reading. ;-)

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#83  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 20:04
In reply to begede (Post #82)

Originally posted by beegeedee

Please don't suggest more advertising in the forum......

Definitely not!

Strange thing is that I've been looking at the forum on a variety of screens, 15" & 22" PC, 17" MacBook, iPhone etc, but today I've only been using my iPad, and of all the websites I've visited, the Natives forum is the easiest to read in terms of layout on this. It doesn't matter about orientation, it just seems to fit the screen well and be very readable.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
daisyslightlymiffed
#84  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 21:34
firstly i've been drinking beer and am about to go to bed and have nightmares about brico depot.

secondly... neither of the photos have been tampered with. Both were taken with the iphone a couple of minutes ago.

in all honesty couldn't post one without the other, although i was tempted.

the natives window was about 2/3rds full screen.

selah.

dx

Jump to Top
daisyslightlymiffed
#85  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 21:34
actually a bit more than 2/3rds
Edited 14/09/2012 @ 21:36 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
sandgroper61
London
#86  Re: New site  14 Sep '12 at 22:23
In reply to daisyslightlymiffed (Post #84)
Not about colour, it's about brightness. This site is like looking at a snowfield. In a bad way.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

=============================

The difference between a cult and a religion: in a cult, there is someone at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.
         Jump to Top
begede
#87  Re: New site  15 Sep '12 at 09:15
In reply to sandgroper61 (Post #86)

Originally posted by sandgroper61

Not about colour, it's about brightness. This site is like looking at a snowfield. In a bad way.
So True.

HEY ADMINS !!! HELLLOOOOOO!!!

4 days ago you asked us for our thoughts and some have been positive and some negative but for 4 days you have not even bothered to reply ? IMO opinion it was rather ill mannered to go changing the forum area without perhaps giving a little notice to everyone to update their email accounts as required. You could have kept the surprise if you wanted by just saying new login procedure please update your email. (You have been good at redressing this after being messaged). But it is getting even more ill mannered to perhaps not respond to some of the comments here and perhaps respond to your regular and contingent readers. It is after all mostly the regulars (most with many many seasons behind them) who reply when new seasonaires have questions which I hope makes them feel welcome here, provides advice and encourages them to look forward to their winter seasons and perhaps helps keep people coming back to natives for advice, job searches and thus keeps your 'hits and clicks' up so that the employers and other advertise here....

So what about this brightness thing, sure if someone put a poll up everyone would agree it is like a whiteout in a snowfield ?

(Creepy thing.... If you look at your profile you can see how many times it has been viewed. Boggars now you're up to 485 views... that was me haha)

and this 'add friend' thing.... uh uh

a furthur list to follow

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#88  Re: New site  15 Sep '12 at 10:14
In reply to begede (Post #87)

Originally posted by beegeedee

So True.

HEY ADMINS !!! HELLLOOOOOO!!!

4 days ago you asked us for our thoughts and some have been positive and some negative but for 4 days you have not even bothered to reply ? IMO opinion it was rather ill mannered to go changing the forum area without perhaps giving a little notice to everyone to update their email accounts as required. You could have kept the surprise if you wanted by just saying new login procedure please update your email. (You have been good at redressing this after being messaged). But it is getting even more ill mannered to perhaps not respond to some of the comments here and perhaps respond to your regular and contingent readers. It is after all mostly the regulars (most with many many seasons behind them) who reply when new seasonaires have questions which I hope makes them feel welcome here, provides advice and encourages them to look forward to their winter seasons and perhaps helps keep people coming back to natives for advice, job searches and thus keeps your 'hits and clicks' up so that the employers and other advertise here....

So what about this brightness thing, sure if someone put a poll up everyone would agree it is like a whiteout in a snowfield ?

(Creepy thing.... If you look at your profile you can see how many times it has been viewed. Boggars now you're up to 485 views... that was me haha)

and this 'add friend' thing.... uh uh

a furthur list to follow

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

So, you're saying they've fixed nothing, or that you havent noticed the fixes?

I know some people aren't sure how much I am involved (very little), but so far there have been several fixes that have gone in - quotes, smilies, latest threads, member since, etc.

Some people see the trees, some see the powder between them.
Edited 15/09/2012 @ 10:18 Revision #1
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
begede
#89  Re: New site  15 Sep '12 at 11:21
In reply to WTFH (Post #88)

Originally posted by WTFH

So, you're saying they've fixed nothing, or that you havent noticed the fixes?

I know some people aren't sure how much I am involved (very little), but so far there have been several fixes that have gone in - quotes, smilies, latest threads, member since, etc.

Some people see the trees, some see the powder between them.

I have seen some little fixes such as that newbie, senior member thing gone which is good. I think there is too much white all over the page it's blinding. I think it would be good to see some admin feedback to perhaps make the forum the way the users want it. At the moment losing the old forum was like losing the quaint old village pub and it has been redecorated into a bright new modern gastropub. With time as the colours fade and more decorations and things are put on the walls you get used to it... Unfortunately I cannot see this whiteout fading.

Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.

Jump to Top
daisyslightlymiffed
#90  Re: New site  15 Sep '12 at 11:43
In reply to user44879 (Post #55)

Originally posted by techers

How do I get my old identity back then? I don't really want to hassle admin@natives as there must be more important stuff, but if that's how the rest of you did it?

is the admin address admin@natives.co.uk?

would be nice to get my old account back, sort avatar out etc etc.

dx
         Jump to Top
begede
#91  Re: New site  15 Sep '12 at 11:47
In reply to daisyslightlymiffed (Post #90)

Originally posted by daisyslightlymiffed

is the admin address admin@natives.co.uk?

would be nice to get my old account back, sort avatar out etc etc.

dx

i used the contact us bit at the bottom to send admin a message and they were very fast at resetting the password, doubt they work weekends though.

Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet