< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
Bags
London
#109  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:37

Originally posted by WTFH

Originally posted by landonmyfeet?

is it true that you can't use another computer to update it?

Officially, yes.

Eh? Je ne comprends pas... You mean once you've added all your choons, you have to use the same computer to add any more afterwards?

My computer is several hundred years old and will soon be up in Laptop Heaven. Does that mean I'd be confined to listening to my music taste circa 2005 for the next couple of years?
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#110  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:39
my bro just got his nano ipod thing.... (off ebay!)....

ITS SO TINY!!!!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#111  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:42

My mate who works for apple told me to get a flash memory mp3 player because they never get brought in because they're broken, he does see a lot of broken ipods though. People here seem to be reporting some fairly robust ipods, so you never know.

Currently putting all my gf's tunes on her new ipod for her, as she doesn't have a computer, is it true that you can't use another computer to update it? She'll murder me, great.

Personally, i'm going to buy a laptop and a 1GB flash player.

The ipod nano is flash tho...... thats why its so much smaller than the mini ipod, but can fit so much on.........

(have limited knowledge - but it is!!!!)
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#112  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:51

Originally posted by Bags

Officially, yes.

Eh? Je ne comprends pas... You mean once you've added all your choons, you have to use the same computer to add any more afterwards?

My computer is several hundred years old and will soon be up in Laptop Heaven. Does that mean I'd be confined to listening to my music taste circa 2005 for the next couple of years?

You can only use one computer to update it. If you want, you can switch to another computer, by de-authorising the first. You don't have to keep using the same computer for it, but you can't have it running off two computers.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#113  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:54

Originally posted by rodent

My mate who works for apple told me to get a flash memory mp3 player because they never get brought in because they're broken, he does see a lot of broken ipods though. People here seem to be reporting some fairly robust ipods, so you never know.

Currently putting all my gf's tunes on her new ipod for her, as she doesn't have a computer, is it true that you can't use another computer to update it? She'll murder me, great.

Personally, i'm going to buy a laptop and a 1GB flash player.

The ipod nano is flash tho...... thats why its so much smaller than the mini ipod, but can fit so much on.........

(have limited knowledge - but it is!!!!)

alright, fair play. I'll have to consider it then.
         Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#114  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:56

Officially, yes.

You can only use one computer to update it. If you want, you can switch to another computer, by de-authorising the first. You don't have to keep using the same computer for it, but you can't have it running off two computers.

Cheers WTFH, will have to explain this to the gf, with pictures involving fluffy animals.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#115  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:00

Cheers WTFH, will have to explain this to the gf, with pictures involving fluffy animals.

Is it an iPod photo?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
fraggle_rock
London
#116  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:00
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

if you plug your ipod into itunes on another machine and sync away there is some danger that iTunes will delete ALL the music on your 'pod!

there is software around that will let you copy the music already uploaded on a 'pod back to a computer.

I do not use ipods (iriver ftw) so I am not sure of the fine points, but be aware

If you want a cheep as chips mp3 then you can do worse than the 256 meg ones from ebuyer, £10! here
         Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#117  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:08
I've already set it up so it doesn't automatically sync with my computer, as she doesn't want all of my music on her ipod. I have had to pollute my computer with kylie bloody minogue though, 3 albums worth!

and WTFH, it is an ipod photo. It's going to be a tricky one to explain to her, she's a self confessed technophobe. I've been thinking of putting some "arty" pictures on it, not sure how funny she would find it though.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#118  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:13

I have had to pollute my computer with kylie bloody minogue though, 3 albums worth!

That's ok, you just put them on, sync them to the iPod, then go in through windows explorer and delete them.
DO NOT delete them using iTunes, or they will be removed from the iPod when you sync it.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#119  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:22

I have had to pollute my computer with kylie bloody minogue though, 3 albums worth!

That's ok, you just put them on, sync them to the iPod, then go in through windows explorer and delete them.
DO NOT delete them using iTunes, or they will be removed from the iPod when you sync it.

yeah, will do. Can't have people looking at my computer and seeing that.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#120  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:34
TBH I think my main problem is that I don't really understand what iTunes is...

Can't I just load all my CDs onto my computer and then copy them to the iPod/iRiver/iMPbloody3thing without bothering with the iTunes? Can I do it through Media Player instead? I know how to use that.

Basically all I want is a tiny pink electronic thing that will hold my entire CD collection (we're only talking about 100 CDs here). The end. Should I still get an iPod Mini?

PS Apologies for all the silly questions. I'm not v clued up when it comes to mp3 players...
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#121  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 12:46

TBH I think my main problem is that I don't really understand what iTunes is...

Can't I just load all my CDs onto my computer and then copy them to the iPod/iRiver/iMPbloody3thing without bothering with the iTunes? Can I do it through Media Player instead? I know how to use that.

Basically all I want is a tiny pink electronic thing that will hold my entire CD collection (we're only talking about 100 CDs here). The end. Should I still get an iPod Mini?

PS Apologies for all the silly questions. I'm not v clued up when it comes to mp3 players...

OK, iTunes is the software Apple supplies to get your songs onto an iPod. Other companies will have their own software.

For 100CDs, if you get a 10GB player, then you'll have plenty of room. You could probably get them all on to a 6GB player, but nothing smaller. (unless you don't mind reducing the quality)
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Bags
London
#122  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 13:08

OK, iTunes is the software Apple supplies to get your songs onto an iPod. Other companies will have their own software.

Ok Foxy but do you HAVE to use iTunes? I thought that was only if you wanted to buy songs individually from the net?

Surely you can just load songs onto the iPod using Media Player? And if not then that's rubbish and I think I should design these mp3 things instead of idiot tech people who have no idea what people want. Hmph.

I doubt iTunes would even work on my laptop at home - it's pretty basic. I agree with you about the 6GB thing - that's the size I was thinking of. Def don't think I need it any bigger than that anyway. So what else should I get then if not the iPod? (Bear in mind that maternal unit has offered to buy me one as an early Christmas present, so I have about £160 potential spending capacity! )
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#123  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 13:12

Ok Foxy but do you HAVE to use iTunes? I thought that was only if you wanted to buy songs individually from the net?

Surely you can just load songs onto the iPod using Media Player? And if not then that's rubbish and I think I should design these mp3 things instead of idiot tech people who have no idea what people want. Hmph.

Yes, you have to us iTunes to get your songs onto your iPod. If you go for a sony player, then you'll have to use the sony software, etc.
But I hear Dynamutt has written a bit of software that will mean you can put tunes onto your iPod easily...
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort