< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
ferris
#88  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Sep '05 at 18:43

Originally posted by WTFH

Originally posted by jothecrow

ok, so i have decided to buy an iriver.

wanted the 20gb H10, but can't find it in stock anywhere (or the other 20gb ones for some reason) and suspect that I might be perfectly ok with a 6gb H10.

Can find it for about £165. good value? the 5gb one is about £15 cheaper. Think it'll be ok to buy it from a website (e.g. dabs.com)? Its £180 on amazon/dixons i think.

discuss!

OK, so you could buy 6gb for £165, or you could get a 20GB iPod for the same money...

aaah, but i don't want an ipod. mainly because i don't want to be restricted to their software, and plus i have heard nasties about the battery life. haven't seen them for that cheap either!

cheers eddies, looking on there now. they havent got the colour i wanted... but look reputable, have a phone number (unlike some of the websites ive seen!) and have free delivery so they may well be receiving some custom soon!
         Jump to Top
haybrd
UK
#91  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 16:43
I would say this topic has been fairly well covered... but I'll add my 2 pence worth anyway!

My only concern would be that hard disk music players like the iPod, iRiver and Sonys HD range don't like any sort of impact/being dropped (fine if you are fairly competent on snow but you never know....)

Flash devices (iPod Shuffle, Sonys Walkman Bean or NW-E series etc) have no moving parts so are totally skip free and less likely to be damaged in a fall but only tend to have a max of 2GB storage, which if you aren't taking a PC to load more tunes onto your device with you could see you getting bored.

My own preference (for what very little it is worth!!) was to get a Minidisc player. Although it has moving parts it seems more durable than the iPod. The other benefits are unlimited storage, just go buy another disc at less than a pound (a standard minidisc holds about 250-300MB). You can transfer music via your PC or if you get a recordable Minidisc player you could record from any music source with a simple lead or mic, although the quality would be poor).

I recommend this website to get more answers on sony productshttp://www.atraclife.com/ (these guys really know there stuff and are really helpful!)

Happy listening, and skiing! Roll on the snow!
         Jump to Top
ferris
#92  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 22:19
hey haybrd, yeah did think about getting a flash player but the lack of space put me off a bit.
have just ordered an iriver H10 6gb from ask direct (cheers eddies!) so i'm happy! Just hope it gets here in one piece and works ok. think i shall just have to do a bit of ski practice before i take it out on the slopes...
huzzah!

now, all ive got to do is figure out which digital camera to get, but thats a whole different thread...
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#93  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 22:50

Originally posted by jothecrow

now, all ive got to do is figure out which digital camera to get, but thats a whole different thread...

Yes! Do it! Then I won't have to...

K, two questions that will prolly p!ss everyone off and it's only because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to read this entire thread so I apologise if all this has been said (gosh isn't it annoying when people go to the bother of using this disclaimer but still can't be ar$ed to read the thread itself...hmmm. Well, I shall take no responsibility and simply blame S L O W dial-up):

1) I want to get a 6MB iPod Mini in pink. Any good? (No comments on my choice of colour please.) What about voltage and stuff? Can I charge it in France through a straight forward UK-Continental adaptor? Do I need to buy any gay accessories that they don't actually tell you it needs when you first buy it? And yes further to haybrd's point, is it going to combust if I fall over on the slopes? Erm, not that I ever do that obviously...

2) I also really want to get into the digital camera thing. My laptop is rubbish and I'm not intending on taking it, so I want a camera that is TINY but takes good pics, stores millions and has the option to record movie clips too. But I want to buy some more snowboard boots too so it can't cost stupid amounts money-wise! My housemate just bought an absolutely beautiful thing but it was £250....why is everyone more loaded than me...? Basically size is more important than the rest. I hate carrying big things! (No innuendoes here please guys...)
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
user206
#94  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 23:03

Originally posted by Bags

1) I want to get a 6MB iPod Mini in pink.

Bagypoos, don't.

If you're going to get an ipod get a full size one. I warned a friend of mine and she was like "but the mini is soo cute". She got one, got pissed off that she couldn't put all the songs she wanted on it and so now has gone and bought a full size as well!
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#96  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 23:20

Originally posted by gadget

1) I want to get a 6MB iPod Mini in pink.

Bagypoos, don't.

If you're going to get an ipod get a full size one. I warned a friend of mine and she was like "but the mini is soo cute". She got one, got pissed off that she couldn't put all the songs she wanted on it and so now has gone and bought a full size as well!

Gadgeypoos. Good point well made.

However, I am lazy. I will probably only ever get round to putting about 30 albums on it. I doubt I will board with it much because I like the sound of the wind, so I actually won't be listening to it enough to get sick of the music I do get round to loading.

Plus Britney has done a limited number of songs so what on earth will I put on it after all her albums!?

In short, 6 is enough. I care far too much about it being pink and small to worry about its capacity. Sorry...I am just not techy enough. And I really like pink stuff.
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
user206
#97  Re: MP3 player confusion  5 Sep '05 at 23:30
Fine fine.. ignore my advice....

Should have guessed you prefered things small and pink than big and pounding....
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#98  Re: MP3 player confusion  6 Sep '05 at 09:56

What about voltage and stuff? Can I charge it in France through a straight forward UK-Continental adaptor?[/quote:cffabb5cef]

Yes. France (as with most of Europe) runs close to our 240V, so you'll be fine.

[quote:cffabb5cef="Bags"]2) I also really want to get into the digital camera thing. My laptop is rubbish and I'm not intending on taking it, so I want a camera that is TINY but takes good pics, stores millions and has the option to record movie clips too. But I want to buy some more snowboard boots too so it can't cost stupid amounts money-wise! My housemate just bought an absolutely beautiful thing but it was £250....why is everyone more loaded than me...? Basically size is more important than the rest. I hate carrying big things! (No innuendoes here please guys...)

Canon do good quality small cameras, but depending on how good you want, will determine the price.
When it comes to choosing a digital camera, I look for brands that know how to make cameras, so Canon, Nikon, and Olympus would be the ones to look at first, then ones like Sony and Panasonic, who have been doing video cameras for years. That way you'll get a better lens than in a Casio, or other calculator manufacturer.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
ferris
#100  Re: MP3 player confusion  6 Sep '05 at 18:32
wow, i'm loving the seamless way I managed to turn this thread around! Cunning though, since most people won't know it's now about cameras... heheh
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#103  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 10:28
does the nano have the same restrictions as the old ipod ie only compatible with one computer, can only use itunes etc?

heard the other day apple have been ordered to pay out a massive lawsuit cos of the shoddy batteries they use failing after a year, only in the US tho unfortunately.

the nano was designed from scratch i believe, may be altogether better. saw a test on its sturdiness that did pretty well, so hopefully bits of it won't stop working after a couple of months like a lot of the old ones.
want to hear more about the nano, i'd be interested if they've fixed the old faults.

oh yeh, and they've stopped making the ipod mini now, hence all the competitions for free ones everywhere!
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#104  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 10:43

Originally posted by sam_c

oh yeh, and they've stopped making the ipod mini now, hence all the competitions for free ones everywhere!

OMG! WHY? Are you sure????

I am not remotely techy, so having just decided exactly which mp3 thing I wanted, they've now decided to DISCONTINUE it???? God life is unfair...

So what do I do now?

Is it bad to buy stuff they've stopped making? Will they be uber-cheapos now then?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#105  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 10:46
you should buy an iRiver anyway as it will be more compatible with your pc
         Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#106  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:11
My mate who works for apple told me to get a flash memory mp3 player because they never get brought in because they're broken, he does see a lot of broken ipods though. People here seem to be reporting some fairly robust ipods, so you never know.

Currently putting all my gf's tunes on her new ipod for her, as she doesn't have a computer, is it true that you can't use another computer to update it? She'll murder me, great.

Personally, i'm going to buy a laptop and a 1GB flash player.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#107  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:13

Originally posted by landonmyfeet?

is it true that you can't use another computer to update it?

Officially, yes.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
landonmyfeet?
#108  Re: MP3 player confusion  22 Sep '05 at 11:22

Originally posted by WTFH

Originally posted by landonmyfeet?

is it true that you can't use another computer to update it?

Officially, yes.

bollocks, ah well
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason