MP3 player confusion //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
moj
#34  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 12:12

Originally posted by sam_c

I'm always dubious of multi-functional things, they generally seem to be two poor quality things mashed together, neither really doing the function they should.

eg ngage - sh*t phone, sh*t game system
mobile phone cameras - crap, even the 2megapixel ones
mobile phone videos - appalling

if i want photos i'll use a decent camera, video a decent camcorder, music a decent mp3 player and if i want to ring someone i'll just use a phone.

I guess its convenient having everything in one and really small, but most of the extra features are so low quality they're practically useless anyway. I guess this'll change over time but for the moment I'd rather carry the extra stuff.

yeah, totally agree. Since when was carrying stuff such a hardship anyways?

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#35  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 12:27

Originally posted by sam_c

I guess its convenient having everything in one and really small, but most of the extra features are so low quality they're practically useless anyway. I guess this'll change over time but for the moment I'd rather carry the extra stuff.

I agree. If I want to take real photos, my 35mm SLR with a variety of lenses comes out. Digital technology is still nowhere near film technology.

I wouldn't play a DVD through my plasma screen - I mean, apart from being too small, it's only got interlaced input.
But, for example, the digital processing in my Cambridge Audio DVD player is better than that in my Marantz CD player, so I play my CDs using my DVD player.
See, if you pay the money, it is possible to get the quality from a multi-purpose device.

Same with phones.
Nokia don't make cameras, so why would you buy a camera off them? Sony make cameras. Sony put their camera technology in their phones - such as spot metering, aperature overrides, etc. Sony also make the Walkman, so they know a bit about sound too.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#36  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:13
Going off on a tangent slightly, does anyone know of any software that will allow me to insert track breaks on a continuous mp3 file, ie have got a homemade mix CD ripped onto my PC but have to fast-forward to listen to the end of it, rather than track skipping to the end?? Hmmm not sure i made myself understood there but we'll see
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#37  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:25
You'd need to rip it as a series of tracks. I'm not sure of any freeware that will allow you to put breaks in MP3s.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#38  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:35
Hi

Try this.... Just copied and pasted it from another websites forums...

I use Adobe Audition 1.5 (formaly Cool Edit Pro), and Nero 6.6.0.1. Previous nero versions have issues with Windows XP Service Pack 2, that and this version has not given me any issues.

First of all I load the master wav file into Adobe Audition, and normalise the wav to around 0db. If their is allot of low volume stuff on the cd (and I mean allot) then I tend to normalise it a little higher, say 2-3db.

Then I track split it manualy. I listen for the mix, and normaly split it when the mix has finshed. Or at the end of a bar. Depends really on the cd, and genera of music.

By track splitting manualy I mean, finding the point where the next track begins, high-lighting and cutting out everything prior to that point, and then pasting the cut stuff into a new file. Then save that as Track01.wav (Windows PCM (*.wav) tends to work best with nero), then onto the next one.

Once you get the files into nero, you remove the standard 2 sec pause (apart from the begining of track one, which you can't ), and then you can drag the tracks around to get them in the right order.

In the version I use I also do all the CD Text stuff as well, as a cool bonus to those who have the stereos that read it (my Sony car stereo does). You can put any text on the cd text item, such as phone number, web address, cd title, track titles....and so on.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#39  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:47
Yup, that would work.

In fact, you could get around it by using Windows Sound Recorder - rip the CD as WAV, then spilt the track down using Sound recorder, then convert it. (Or, if you haven't got a converter, burn the wav files back onto a CD-RW as audio tracks, then rip them as MP3 using Media Player.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#40  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:48
there's a free program you can get which creates a timecode that you copy to the cd with the music and makes the track skipping work.

unfortunately I have no idea where it works and can't remember where i got it from. do a search on the www.dogsonacid.com forum - think it was off there (its a drum & bass forum, loadsa really tech music-minded people so they know what they're on about).
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#41  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 14:49
or use Quicktime pro to cut and paste tracks into new files, then put them in Itunes and convert to MP3 and add TAGS....

up to you
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#43  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 16:15
TM,
What software are you using to burn the CD?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#44  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 16:15
Use a program called Toast to burn with, you can change to pause between tracks to Zero...

Though to be honest it still creatas a tiny jump, but is better than 2 sec pauses...
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#46  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 19:17
I hate ipods with a passion, my cousin bought one and you have to install so much bloody shite onto your pc before you can use it its bloody unreal !, he took it back in the end cos its such a pain in the ass. His bro just has a normal mp3 player, you plug it in, it appears in my computer,you copy tunes over to it,job done,no fannying about with stupid itunes ect.
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#47  Re: Ipod vs Sony  5 Aug '05 at 21:52
I have a Sony 40 gig, 200 notes from dixons and the best deal around currently, well happy with it, although the volume can be restricted at times when playing though headphones (still it saves me from going deaf I suppose). Its well portable with a 20 hour battery life, got 6000 tunes on it so far and got it set up to play through my music system, so approx 600 CDs will be going back to france with me in something the size of a fag packet... well sorted!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
ferris
#48  Re: MP3 player confusion  23 Aug '05 at 18:12
hey,

so i've been doing my research and i am now very confused Have decided to spend about £150. have ruled out ipod and creative as they both seem to have reliability flaws.

have found a sony 20gb nw-hd3 (i know the hd5 is out but not sure what its benefits are exactly, plus it costs more...) for this price. am a bit concerned about the DRM stuff - i want to be able to put music onto it from both mine and my boyfriend's computer, and then maybe on someones when i get to canada... is this possible with this model? is it possible with the hd5?

have also looked at an iriver h10 - i know its only 5/6 gb but its about the same price and looks good quality plus it has a radio and it seeeems to not have the drm problems of the sony... but i am finding it difficult to figure this out. considering this as i am not sure i actually need 20gb.

any ideas?!?!

thanks
joxxxx

ps. someone expressed concern that hard drive players might pack up in the cold... is this true?!
         Jump to Top
user206
#49  Re: MP3 player confusion  23 Aug '05 at 18:29

Originally posted by jothecrow

have ruled out ipod and creative as they both seem to have reliability flaws. [/quote:2eac47176b]

Had the creative zen touch since january and no problems with it

[quote:2eac47176b="jothecrow"]ps. someone expressed concern that hard drive players might pack up in the cold... is this true?!

Took it skiing and wasn't a problem. Though of course Canada is a lot colder than the alps
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#50  Re: MP3 player confusion  23 Aug '05 at 20:46
just bought a 60gb ipod photo.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!