MP3 player confusion //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
moj
#18  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 11:42

Originally posted by sam_c

I got an iriver because its 20gig, colour, displays photos & videos, has a built in radio (v good quality), records directly to mp3 through a line in, records off the radio, has a built in microphone, works with any computer so can be used as a portable hard drive (unlike ipod which only works with your computer), displays text files, has a high output line out to play it through speakers etc etc the list goes on.

about same price as an ipod but sh*ts all over it.

yeah, having read that I'd go with the iRiver.

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
benykeny1
#19  Re: MP3 player confusion  3 Aug '05 at 10:10
If you want to store all of your music in one place and be able to actually listen to it for a while (say about 30-40 hours compared to 8 hours on the ipod), and not pay too much, and have a smallish player, go for the Sony hard drive mp3 players. I got mine refurbished (with a one year guarantee from 7dayshop.com) for £150 and it is smaller in size (not much bigger than an ipod mini), 20GB and the battery lasts at least 20 hours (depending on the quality of the file).

There is a new one out (nw-hd5) which is 20GB, plays Mp3's, (the older ones you had to convert to sony's own propreitry format which is actually better but a bit of a pain in the bum) and the battery lasts for 40 hours according to sony (which is probably 30). It's also £180 brand new!

It doesn't have the click wheel thingy, nor the white headphones (if you like being one of those people walking around thinking that headphones are a fashion item), but it is actually a superior product.

Iriver does more, but is more expensive, it depends what you need, I just wanted an mp3 player.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#20  Re: MP3 player confusion  3 Aug '05 at 10:38

Originally posted by benykeny1

Iriver does more, but is more expensive, it depends what you need, I just wanted an mp3 player.

no its not. £179 in dixons on the high street, blatantly cheaper if you search for it.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
flaming
#21  Re: MP3 player confusion  3 Aug '05 at 12:51
For balance I've had a 20G ipod for about 2 years, including a season in Val (Where is was an absolute lifesaver on transfer busses) and I've absolutely abused it. Never bought a case for it, generally exposed it to snow, sand and water, left it in my pocket during runs through the park (i.e had big crashes) and basically took no care of it at all.

And it still works as new. Load of scratches which are obviously my fault, but still working exactly as inteneded.
Would I buy another one? Hell yeah.
I'd rather be skiing
         Jump to Top
ferris
#22  Re: MP3 player confusion  3 Aug '05 at 18:21
ta for all advice guys. despite vast lack of funds, i might have to look into forking out a bit more given you all reckon it would be worth it!

any further ideas on how to (legally) get a good one on the cheap/any offers to give me £100 welcome
         Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#24  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:05
I have a 40Gb Ipod and I can't fault them, a true star... I have had mine for over a year now and no problems at all.

I have over 7500 songs on mine and still buuilding. All new ones available NOW come with Colour screens and you can store Digi Cam photos on and album art. I would recommend, here are the prices

Ipod 20Gb Colour Screen (stores 5000 tracks) - £209

Ipod 60Gb Colour Screen (stores 15000 tracks) - £299

Its a must have and small enough to carry about...

If thats out of your price range and you want something smaller go for the Ipod Mini. Prices are

Ipod Mini 4Gb (stores 1000 songs) - £139

Ipod Mini 6Gb (stores 1500 songs) £169

You can buy from http://www.apple.com/uk
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#25  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:12

Originally posted by BIGdave

Ipod 20Gb Colour Screen (stores 5000 tracks) - £209

see, i still think thats a rip. same size iriver that plays videos, has a radio, double battery life etc is £179.

not saying ipods aren't a great piece of kit, they are, its just for the money you can get a lot better.

its basically fashion over function
         Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#26  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:16
Yep, you are paying for style but hey, they are cool...

Though i must admit, I have used Apple Hardware all my life and own an Imac and a G5 Powermac and i hate the fact that Chavvy little scum are now using Ipods, soon they will not be cool... makes my sad...
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#27  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:21
You may want to consider the Sony W800i walkman.
It's out soon, and has a phone built into it.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
woody
Warwick
#28  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:28

Originally posted by WTFH

i dont think that it will be that good as its only gonna have a 1 gig memory, so no way near a 20gig ipod.
Once you've met Glen Plake, nothing quite seems as cool anymore.

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#29  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:39

Originally posted by woody

i dont think that it will be that good as its only gonna have a 1 gig memory, so no way near a 20gig ipod.

Yeah, but instead of carrying a phone and an mp3 player, you could carry one device, with hot-swappable memory sticks (which take up less space than an Ipod.)
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
woody
Warwick
#30  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:44

Yeah, but instead of carrying a phone and an mp3 player, you could carry one device, with hot-swappable memory sticks (which take up less space than an Ipod.)

good point and have noticed you can get 2 gb memory cards, which is pretty cool.

i have the k750 which is going to be really similar, but doesnt come with big memory card. but can upgrade easily
Once you've met Glen Plake, nothing quite seems as cool anymore.

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#31  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 11:45

good point and have noticed you can get 2 gb memory cards, which is pretty cool.

i have the k750 which is going to be really similar, but doesnt come with big memory card. but can upgrade easily

I have the S700 - only have a 32MB card in it. Does good photos too for a 1.3Mp camera.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#32  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 12:01
I'm always dubious of multi-functional things, they generally seem to be two poor quality things mashed together, neither really doing the function they should.

eg ngage - sh*t phone, sh*t game system
mobile phone cameras - crap, even the 2megapixel ones
mobile phone videos - appalling

if i want photos i'll use a decent camera, video a decent camcorder, music a decent mp3 player and if i want to ring someone i'll just use a phone.

I guess its convenient having everything in one and really small, but most of the extra features are so low quality they're practically useless anyway. I guess this'll change over time but for the moment I'd rather carry the extra stuff.
         Jump to Top
BIGdave
Verbier
#33  Re: MP3 player confusion  4 Aug '05 at 12:04
i agree Sam... they are generally poo...
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet