MP3 player confusion //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
WTFH
Surrey
#192  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 10:47

Originally posted by sam_c

another reason i like 320k mp3s - I've got a load of top class separates with gold connections & bi-wired speakers - makes quite a bit of a difference when you get a decent quality mp3.

But you can also get 320k on AAC!

If you're serious about music quality, then you wouldn't use MP3 or AAC, but original recording, the more computer processing that goes in to making the sound, the less real the sound is. Of course, if your "music" is just computer generated, then MP3 is fine, but you're wasting your money bi-wiring, when you could spend it on a bigger sub-woofer.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#193  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 10:53

Originally posted by WTFH

another reason i like 320k mp3s - I've got a load of top class separates with gold connections & bi-wired speakers - makes quite a bit of a difference when you get a decent quality mp3.

If you're serious about music quality, then you wouldn't use MP3 or AAC, but original recording, the more computer processing that goes in to making the sound, the less real the sound is. Of course, if your "music" is just computer generated, then MP3 is fine, but you're wasting your money bi-wiring, when you could spend it on a bigger sub-woofer.

It sounds like Sam C is actually very serious about music and clearly knows what he is talking about
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#194  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 10:53

Originally posted by Horse

... if they only allow Apple certified files to be downloaded to the ipod then they have sealed the market, if they allowed ACC files to be converted to work on MP3 then they are handing over the strangle hold they have...

Well, one of Apple's arguments is back to the music industry (not consumers)
They can secure their downloaded files so they cannot be shared - i.e. if you buy a download from iTunes, you won't be able to copy it and give it to all your mates.
So, the music industry doesn't lose out from downloads being pirated.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#195  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 10:54

... if they only allow Apple certified files to be downloaded to the ipod then they have sealed the market, if they allowed ACC files to be converted to work on MP3 then they are handing over the strangle hold they have...

Well, one of Apple's arguments is back to the music industry (not consumers)
They can secure their downloaded files so they cannot be shared - i.e. if you buy a download from iTunes, you won't be able to copy it and give it to all your mates.
So, the music industry doesn't lose out from downloads being pirated.

another reason it is pointless to buy one
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#196  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 10:56

good point, don't know much about aac really.

original recording ie Wav files? made a tune the other day, saved it in wav - took up 48meg for a 4 minute tune! gonna have to compress it a bit i reckon

one of the main reasons i spent so much on a nice system, bi-wiring etc is cos i use vinyl so much - sounds so much better. also a nice added extra that all my other music sounds that little bit crisper.

but you're right, i wouldn't mind a bigger sub
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#197  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:01

one of the main reasons i spent so much on a nice system, bi-wiring etc is cos i use vinyl so much - sounds so much better. also a nice added extra that all my other music sounds that little bit crisper.

but you're right, i wouldn't mind a bigger sub

A good Linn deck is hard to beat.

If I do upgrade my Monitor Audio sub, it will probably be to a REL, but then I'll have to rebuild my fireplace - I have the chimney blocked off at the top, and the rear ports of my sub use it as Boxer-esque booster.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#198  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:03

Originally posted by

So, the music industry doesn't lose out from downloads being pirated

Still just as easy between like mediums (ipod-ipod) only piracy that it stops is between ipod-mp3, even that is easy just a little long winded.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#199  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:04

Of course, if your "music" is just computer generated, then MP3 is fine

do you mean if a tune is made on a computer then mp3 will be ok?
if so i disagree -
take a drum & bass tune made on reason/logic/cubase whatever - save it at 128k & 320k - the difference between the two will be immense, whole areas of bass frequency affected etc etc
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#201  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:14

Originally posted by

So, the music industry doesn't lose out from downloads being pirated

Still just as easy between like mediums (ipod-ipod) only piracy that it stops is between ipod-mp3, even that is easy just a little long winded.

"The iTunes Music Store uses FairPlay, Apple's digital rights management system that's designed to be fair to the artist, to the record companies and to you. In a nutshell, your FairPlay agreement entitles you to play your music on up to five computers (and enjoy unlimited synching with iPods), allows unlimited burning for individual songs and lets you burn playlists up to 7 times each."

From the Apple website

(although I think the Wiki entry is better...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay )
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#202  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:16

and enjoy unlimited synching with iPods

Is that not basically what horse said?
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#203  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:26
well, I'm gonna get the program that converts the itunes stuff to mp3

apple -
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#204  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:28
Can someone tell me how to get it if you know? I have a couple of dvds (with apple files on) that I acquired from a friend at some point that I would like to convert. I think there is some funky stuff on there that I havent heard before.
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#205  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:30
OK on a tangent here...
I want to use software to enable music on a laptop to be effectively be used as a 3rd deck, allowing the music to be manipulated in the same way as a deck (pitch control), what is the best to use, equally is there software that allows you to use a computerbased mixer instead of the normal mixer (so to mix through the computer in real time)
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#206  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:32

Originally posted by

Can someone tell me how to get it if you know? I have a couple of dvds (with apple files on) that I acquired from a friend at some point that I would like to convert. I think there is some funky stuff on there that I havent heard before.

Have a tral trough previous threads, think it was WTHF that posted a link to this converter. He also suggested burning to disc then ripping back to computer, don't know if this works yet!?
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#207  Re: MP3 player confusion  26 Sep '05 at 11:38

Have a tral trough previous threads, think it was WTHF that posted a link to this converter. He also suggested burning to disc then ripping back to computer, don't know if this works yet!?

yep that works

about the cpu as a 3rd deck, can definitely be done - hook the cpu into a line input on a mixer, then use one of the virtual dj packages to play the tunes.

have never done it myself so can't really recommend one, but a mate at uni used to do it all the time so it definitely works
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview