MP3 player confusion //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  ferris    On:  Mon 1st August, 2005 at 18:00
ferris
#1  MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 18:00
ok, so i am a little technologically challenged and know very little about mp3 players etc. however, i do know that i want to take music with me to canada for the season. i also know that i don't have a cd walkman and that they are big and annoying anyway.
so, i think i need an mp3 player of some sort.
problem 2: no money.

now i know that i can get a 1GB memory card for my nokia 6230 phone for about £50, which would allow me to play mp3s on my phone, but that actual mp3 players this big are quite a bit more expensive. i am also quite confused about all the different types of player you can get (hard drive, flash etc?).

basically, given that it seems to be much cheaper to buy the memory card, is there any good reason why i wouldnt want to get the card for my phone and get an more expensive mp3 player instead? am i being stupid?
and will my phone fit in the little pouches inside ski-jackets that they make for mp3s?!

any help gratefully received!
         Jump to Top
ferris
#3  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 18:13
hmmm ok so i hadnt really considered sound quality.
i guess it doesnt have to be top notch, im not very fussy...? ive listened to the radio on it and its ok... i suppose.

hmm. now even more confused!
         Jump to Top
moj
#4  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 19:59

Originally posted by Dinosaur

Originally posted by

now i know that i can get a 1GB memory card for my nokia 6230 phone for about £50, which would allow me to play mp3s on my phone

With what sort of sound quality? I'm suspicious of phones which claim to do anything and everything - I suspect them of doing most of it to a mediocre standard.

Personally I like my iPod, but I know they're a bit pricey.

It hurts me to say this, but I have to agree. Just like the camera in your phone is w*&k I would have thought the audio quality will be pretty shocking. Might be bareable through headphones but if you're going to use speakers it's going to be very noticable.

And yes in this area the ipod is still regarded as the daddy, atleast on the usability front. I've also heard things about the new Sony one, very good battery life and smaller... and you don't get those gimpy "please mug me"/"look at me I'm part of the in crowd" headphones

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#5  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 20:03
iPods have some quality issues.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#6  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 20:07
nothing to do with thread (tho am pod fan, have diff headphones) but i just noticed there are 93 guests. Is this some huge error? surely 93 guests is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off????
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#7  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 20:18
It's probably googlebots spidering us.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
user10
#8  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 20:21

Originally posted by WTFH

Umm, forgive my ignorance, but what?
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#9  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 20:38

Originally posted by Coronita

Originally posted by WTFH

Umm, forgive my ignorance, but what?

They are sometimes called "spiders" because they crawl all over the web. Basically, they are programs which go out and read web pages so that search engines, such as Google, can find the pages...

http://www.google.com/bot.html
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Sammyq22
Je deteste Surrey
#10  Re: MP3 player confusion  1 Aug '05 at 23:54
Ipod. 20Gb. Buy one.
         Jump to Top
moj
#11  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 00:00

Originally posted by Sammyq22

Ipod. 20Gb. Buy one.

short and to the point

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
Sammyq22
Je deteste Surrey
#12  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 00:12

Originally posted by

Sammyq22 wrote:
Ipod. 20Gb. Buy one.

short and to the point

Ask a question, get an answer.
         Jump to Top
moj
#13  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 00:16

Originally posted by Sammyq22

Originally posted by

Sammyq22 wrote:
Ipod. 20Gb. Buy one.

short and to the point

Ask a question, get an answer.

I'd personally go bigger, have a silly amount of mp3s, guess it depends on how big your cd collection is... and whether you want to sit at your pc for three weeks

Jump to Top
Sammyq22
Je deteste Surrey
#14  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 00:25
Moj, I agree, however the 40Gb is quite heavy, hence 20Gb.

If an individual is looking for an MP3 player currently never having owned one, I doubt very much their music collection will justify a larger than average memory.

I manually put 3686 songs from cd's onto my computer, when I got my Ipod, (I deserve a medal) I have still not completed this ardious task with many a stack of cd's waitng to be whacked into ITunes. Maybe I should employ someone to do it?
         Jump to Top
Fubar
Brisbane
#16  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 09:34
I agree ipod 20GB just got one awesome and solved the money issue as one of my mates picked it up in america for £150 and it came with charger. Top notch
www.linkedin.com/in/lukejackson

Live life to the edge, ski hard, party hard and ignore the hangover
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#17  Re: MP3 player confusion  2 Aug '05 at 10:16
definitely don't get an ipod.
waaaaay overpriced for what you get. The best thing about ipods is the marketing - end of.

also they often (very often) go wrong - the touch wheels break, the screens go, they randomly delete stuff etc etc.

basically
if you want a cheapish one get the creative zen 20gig player.
if you want one with the best functions get an iriver.
if you want the smallest one with best battery life get a sony.

I got an iriver because its 20gig, colour, displays photos & videos, has a built in radio (v good quality), records directly to mp3 through a line in, records off the radio, has a built in microphone, works with any computer so can be used as a portable hard drive (unlike ipod which only works with your computer), displays text files, has a high output line out to play it through speakers etc etc the list goes on.

about same price as an ipod but sh*ts all over it.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort