Money..... //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Eddies    On:  Wed 21st September, 2005 at 11:27
Eddies
#1  Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 11:27
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid newbie question.... but I'm trying to work out how much money I should take/allow for a season. This will determine how much work I have to do between now and leaving

Obviously wages will be minimal.... so i'm guessing it'll be useful to have a fair bit available.... but then I've seen threads where people have talked about actually saving during a season

Anyways.... whats the usual deal.... you reckon you need to take a fair few bucks.... or are the pittiful wages usually enough?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#2  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 11:35
depends on the job as if you are a chalet host you can sometimes totally live off your tips....

in general, first few weeks you will need beer money as not usually paid until a few weeks in.

BUT all depends on what kind of a spender you are. As you get kit hire, food and a bed - all you really need money for is beer.

But you might be the kind to want to buy loads of kit, eat in mountain resturants rather than make sarnies, eat out when not working etc....

So - depends on what you want to do - but if you live a normal life - tips and pay should sort you out - but best to have some back up incase you want to do other things> (Eg when the skydiving team come to CVL!)
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#3  Re: Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 11:44

Originally posted by Eddies

so i'm guessing it'll be useful to have a fair bit available....[/quote:1d22de1933]
Sincerely hope not.

Originally posted by Eddies

but then I've seen threads where people have talked about actually saving during a season

Personally, this is highly unlikely.

[quote:1d22de1933="Eddies"]Anyways.... whats the usual deal.... you reckon you need to take a fair few bucks.... or are the pittiful wages usually enough?

I think you'd want to take some for the first couple of weeks, as it'll be a while before you get paid. The season should really pay for itself though. As Rodent says, what else would you need to buy? (Ahem...besides champagne, caviar, new skis/board every week, 5* accommodation etc. Oh sorry, is that just me? ) I guess it depends how likely to are to fritter away your pay... Although by that rationale, I should be taking a LOT more than I intend to.

Rodent - Don't you sometimes have to pay for accommodation during training week too?
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 11:55
Again - all depends on who you are working for.
Have never heard of people having to pay for accomodation during training!! BUT there are some companies who ask you to buy your lift pass so guess that is an important factor.

Again - depends on if you are a big drinker. I'm quite merry after several beers, but some others can take more so would need more money!!!

AND depends on which resort you are in and where you are drinking.... some bars / resorts are more expensive. If Val - if you are going to Dicks every night then you'll need a bit more than if you are sitting in the moris for one drink every night par example!!!!!!
         Jump to Top
Skibum
The Back of Beyond.
#6  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:05
I know a couple of people who survived a season by turning up with about £300 and no job.

I also know a couple of people who have blown over £10K on a season each (one worked in a bar, the other didn't work at all).

It all depends on so many things...

Where you go.
Who you go with.
Who you meet when you're there.
How much it takes to get you pished and if you're happy to stop at that.
How much and what you like to eat.
How good a standard of accom do you want.
Do you need/want to buy equipment.
Do you partake in elicit substances.
Do you need/want to pay for sex.
Etc
Etc
Etc
"The Dude abides."
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#7  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:06
I'd recommend playing safe, and taking much more than you think you'll need (and check your contract as to what is paid for & what is not, how far in arrears you are paid etc to judge what you think you'll need). You can always bring it back at the end of the season.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#8  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:11
Yeah and I agree with Techers about the credit card thing. Just in case etc.

I feel this may be my downfall though... I have never had one due to an awareness of my lack of willpower. Any suggestions on how to carry a credit card without succumbing to the overwhelming urge to spend everything on it unnecessarily?
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#9  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:12

Originally posted by Bags

Yeah and I agree with Techers about the credit card thing. Just in case etc.

I feel this may be my downfall though... I have never had one due to an awareness of my lack of willpower. Any suggestions on how to carry a credit card without succumbing to the overwhelming urge to spend everything on it unnecessarily?

Get a chip & pin one, but don't memorise the PIN.
         Jump to Top
Eddies
#10  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:22
Cheers boys and girls :thumbsup:

Best get a good few hours temping in between now and when I leave in that case... just to be sure and all that.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#11  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:24
you're gonna need at least enough for insurance, travel, lift pass and living expenses for up to a month.
add on any extra equipment you need.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#12  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:34
Eddie, if you can ski, and want to make some extra money either before you go, or when you get there, you could give dynamite some lessons!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Eddies
#13  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:40

Originally posted by WTFH

Eddie, if you can ski, and want to make some extra money either before you go, or when you get there, you could give dynamite some lessons!

Unfortunately not.... Struggle enough with a board as it is ops:

I wonder if I told him I could ski, and said i'd could give him lessons.... if that would work?
         Jump to Top
Skibum
The Back of Beyond.
#14  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 12:56

Originally posted by Kenzie

You can always bring it back at the end of the season.

I'll bet my house that you don't bring anything back though...
"The Dude abides."
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#15  Re: Money.....  21 Sep '05 at 15:45
Lots of people have said it depends on who you work for, but much more important is it depends on YOU. Technically most seasonairres could probably save money if they didn't drink, never bought a plate of chips on the mountain, never smoked weed, and were happy to ski in shitty old clothes that were passed down to them by their mum after she last skied 30 years ago.

Personally i wouldn't recommend any of the above, but then you have to realise you're going to spend money. I know you probably want a figure for how much you'll spend, but nobody can really give that to you.

A bit of discipline will help you not spend so much, eg by drinking cheap supermarket beer and getting drunk BEFORE you go to the pub, taking packed sandwiches on the hill rather than buying restaurant food, realising that you don't need a new set of top of the range Helly Hansen thermal underwear for every day of the week, but it's up to you!

Trying too hard to save money all season will possibly also make you a very boring person. Personally i don't practice what i preach about being disciplined, so i spend too much money every season! Must try harder!
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort