Mobes //

< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  fraggle_rock    On:  Mon 26th September, 2005 at 11:44
big white lines
Leicester
#19  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:24
I used to work for T-mobile and i know a few ways around the cost issue.

I dont know how much it costs to send a text using a french sim back to the UK, but on T-mobile it only costs 20p to send a picture message back to the UK and to other mobiles in Europe. An advantage of this is you can put up to 1000 characters and a piccy to your mates instead of 160 and no pic with a text, which costs 40p Then use phone card for calling back to the UK.

I know that for someone such as myself when i'm still having to pay line rental in the UK it may work out better and not having to buy a french sim.

I cant speak for other networks but that i the case for t-mobile.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#20  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:45

Originally posted by Kenzie

Originally posted by rodent

Originally posted by techmonkey

would be surprised if you can get one on UK soil, as when you get on the ferry, its not until part way over the signal changes over i don't think........

Ah but isn't that because your home network overides any others until it completely dies? I remember reading ages ago about people in the UK petitioning for masts in their areas because their phones kept picking up French signals. I just can't remember where. Might seem daft but I guess I'll be touring a bit of the south coast next week..

Oh redhead, just borrow the simcard of a friend on a different network and put it in your phone - if it works you're unlocked, if it doesn't you're locked.

ah ha, could well be........ would have thought dover would be the best place as think around there, geographically you are closer to france than anywhere else.......

The Channel Islands?

OK smart-ass.....but we were dicussing the south coast.......
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#21  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:46

Originally posted by Kenzie

would be surprised if you can get one on UK soil, as when you get on the ferry, its not until part way over the signal changes over i don't think........

Ah but isn't that because your home network overides any others until it completely dies? I remember reading ages ago about people in the UK petitioning for masts in their areas because their phones kept picking up French signals. I just can't remember where. Might seem daft but I guess I'll be touring a bit of the south coast next week..

Oh redhead, just borrow the simcard of a friend on a different network and put it in your phone - if it works you're unlocked, if it doesn't you're locked.

ah ha, could well be........ would have thought dover would be the best place as think around there, geographically you are closer to france than anywhere else.......

The Channel Islands?

OK smart-ass.....but we were dicussing the south coast.......

They are in the south, aren't they?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#23  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:48
yeah yeah yeah, but not ON the south coast......

BUT the isle of man counts as foreign to a mobile, do they too??
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#24  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:58

Don't know, but they have a similar status within Britain (ie not part of UK).
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#25  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 15:02

Here's what it says on the IoM tourism site...

When in the Isle of Man making and receiving mobile calls:
* When roaming you will be charged for both incoming and outgoing calls. Check with your network operator for call charges.
* If you are calling a fixed or mobile phone outside the Isle of Man you will need to use the full international code. Also, if you make a call to another mobile phone belonging to a friend who has travelled with you it will be necessary to use the full international code. Your call will be charged at the International Rate.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#26  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 15:52

Originally posted by sam_c

the sim'll pick up a uk signal, can you not just ring off that?

do you need to top it up to keep the number? I haven't and mine was workin out in cham a coupla weeks ago

Nah it won't pick it up if you have less than €15 on it and it expires if not topped up at least once every 6 months. Checked it all out on the SFR site a while ago, being a boring sod with lots of time on his hands.

You have 6 months from when your credit expires, I buy the one that is valid for 3 months I reckon my credit expired around early/mid july, so long as I top it up before january I'll be fine. Obviously not sure about yours.
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet