Mobes //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  fraggle_rock    On:  Mon 26th September, 2005 at 11:44
fraggle_rock
London
#1  Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:44
Just wondering what you do for mobile phone tech whilst away?

I have an unlocked phone I could throw a local payg sim in, however that would mean a new number for friends back home to deal with (and expense for them calling no doubt)

I think that roaming for 5 months on my contract phone may be a bit expensive!

Anyone know if I can turn my UK orange phone into a French Orange phone?
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#2  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:48
get a foreign sim card and stick it in your unlocked phone, definitely

if you use a uk phone you get charged to send and receive any calls / messages.
french number - no incoming charges, much cheaper to speak to mates in resort, if you want to ring anyone at home use a phonecard.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#3  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:48
get a french pay as you go, which your friends can text you on (and you can text them on). You can also check your uk phone every so often in case they can't get to grips with your change of number (they should be able to!!). If you want to chat to your friends back home do it from a landline with an international calling card (available in all tabacs) which has a freefone number to call from. Calling international mobiles in any combination of UK and french systems and phones gets really expensive really quickly.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#4  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:49
No the unlocked phone is the best thing. Get a french sim. If you have a UK sim with that number then it costs you money to receive calls and basically the same amount of money for other people to call you as having a uk sim. The most common one to get is an SFR package that costs 30 euros if I remember right. With this you get 10 "free" euros of communication credit.

I find the best pay as you go package to buy after that is the 35 euro one. Ask at the post office or at a tabac. The biggewr chunks you buy it in the more extra free you get given but the quicker you will spend it thinking "oh it's ok I have loads of credit".
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#5  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:50
oops - sam and i replied at the same time. i wasn't trying to needlessly repeat the same advice
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#6  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 11:59
I Agree with all the above.
I use Orange france but only use it for text and local calls. I would recomend that at the start of the season geting €100 credit and you get about €50 free woll last most of the season. For calls to the UK i use french telecom ticket telephone international €15 gives you 8 hours talk time if calling from a French land line but a lot less if calling from a call box.
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#7  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 12:06
oh - and when using the international calling cards, call your mates on their landlines (like we used to do in the olden days). They're not good rates for calling mobiles.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#8  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 12:10

Originally posted by drifter

oh - and when using the international calling cards, call your mates on their landlines (like we used to do in the olden days). They're not good rates for calling mobiles.

In the olden days drifter? not may will remember them!!
A and B phone boxes when i were a lad
         Jump to Top
redhead
#9  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 12:31
how do i know if my phone is unlocked
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#10  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 12:40
Take it to your local phone shop and they should be able to tell you.
if it is locked serch on the net for unlocking codes for your type of phone.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#11  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 13:38

Originally posted by redhead

how do i know if my phone is unlocked

call your service provider and ask

they can also unlock it for you, but will charge about £20 to do it.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#13  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 13:43
would be surprised if you can get one on UK soil, as when you get on the ferry, its not until part way over the signal changes over i don't think........
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#15  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 13:48

Originally posted by techmonkey

On this subject, where can I get an SFR signal in the UK? Dover? Southhampton? Must be possible somewhere? I want to top mine up again so I have the same number again. You can use Vodafone ones to do it. (it won't let me roam in the UK as I only have €10 on it).

the sim'll pick up a uk signal, can you not just ring off that?

do you need to top it up to keep the number? I haven't and mine was workin out in cham a coupla weeks ago
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#17  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:05

Originally posted by rodent

would be surprised if you can get one on UK soil, as when you get on the ferry, its not until part way over the signal changes over i don't think........

Ah but isn't that because your home network overides any others until it completely dies? I remember reading ages ago about people in the UK petitioning for masts in their areas because their phones kept picking up French signals. I just can't remember where. Might seem daft but I guess I'll be touring a bit of the south coast next week..

Oh redhead, just borrow the simcard of a friend on a different network and put it in your phone - if it works you're unlocked, if it doesn't you're locked.

ah ha, could well be........ would have thought dover would be the best place as think around there, geographically you are closer to france than anywhere else.......
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#18  Re: Mobes  26 Sep '05 at 14:19

Ah but isn't that because your home network overides any others until it completely dies? I remember reading ages ago about people in the UK petitioning for masts in their areas because their phones kept picking up French signals. I just can't remember where. Might seem daft but I guess I'll be touring a bit of the south coast next week..

Oh redhead, just borrow the simcard of a friend on a different network and put it in your phone - if it works you're unlocked, if it doesn't you're locked.

ah ha, could well be........ would have thought dover would be the best place as think around there, geographically you are closer to france than anywhere else.......

The Channel Islands?
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort