mmmmmmm, 2008 skis //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  layzeeboy    On:  Sun 13th May, 2007 at 18:35
tequila
Chamonix
#47  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:15
I don't care if it'll only last a season....I've fallen in love with a jacket and I'm going to buy it. I only wanted to know when, not all the faults in the manufacturing and design.
Whenever I'm feeling down,
I turn my goggles upside down
so I look like a happy meal
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#48  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:30

Originally posted by tequila

I don't care if it'll only last a season....I've fallen in love with a jacket and I'm going to buy it. I only wanted to know when, not all the faults in the manufacturing and design.

You should see the way I plowed through outerwear on my first season. Destroyed a 220 quid Westbeach jacket in 3 weeks and Protest pants in less than a month. Trust me, when doing a season functionality trumps style. I ended up buying some massively expensive Burton AK (the only Burton line worth a damn) 3L Gore-tex outerwear midway through the season. 3 seasons now and still in one piece (all though I do rotate them with a couple other sets of outerwear for fun). Buy Gore-tex. Doesn't matter which company as at that level they're pretty much all bullet-poof. LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY. You'll thank me when it's raining out and you're the only one dry.
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
         Jump to Top
tequila
Chamonix
#49  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:40
Well my plan was to buy one sexible Vans jacket from the 2008 line, and a sensible jacket reduced from 2007. One lightweight, one heavily padded
I didn't think it was necessary to explain all my purchases for next season though.
I'm also planning on buying a new helmet if you care to force me in some direction for that (since I haven't yet given it much thought)
         Jump to Top
Tiny
a town called Alice
#50  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:41

Originally posted by Grill

Buy Gore-tex. Doesn't matter which company as at that level they're pretty much all bullet-poof. LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY. You'll thank me when it's raining out and you're the only one dry.

Agreed, Vans board wears shite, and so is DC. From my experience the high end Bonfire stuffs good too, I still have a jacket that's 5 seasons old now that I use sometimes, it cost the earth when I got it but its still going,....at the end of the day you get what you pay for if you opt for good quality gear over what logo it has poorly sewn onto it.

T
People should smile more
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#51  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:54

Well my plan was to buy one sexible Vans jacket from the 2008 line, and a sensible jacket reduced from 2007. One lightweight, one heavily padded
I didn't think it was necessary to explain all my purchases for next season though.
I'm also planning on buying a new helmet if you care to force me in some direction for that (since I haven't yet given it much thought)

No need to buy padded. Buy shell or very thin in high specs (at least 20,000/20,000) and just layer underneath. But hey, if you really want to play the snow bunny role, that's your thing.

For a lid just buy whichever one feels the most comfortable and fits your dome securely. What out for impact on the top of the ears as it will end up hurting the longer you have it on.

Girls who primp and play dress-up on the slopes get on my tits.

@Tiny- Don't get me started on their boots...
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
         Jump to Top
layzeeboy
Hirafu, Japan.
#52  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 16:59
Gore-tex being better than everything else is a myth, there are different levels of gore-tex, some are super tech, some are barely waterproof. Other companies make fabrics that are just as breathable and just as waterproof as the best gore-tex can make. Look for stuff which is 20000mm/20000mm waterproof/breathable and all will be good.
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for

www.jameswinfield.tumblr.com
         Jump to Top
layzeeboy
Hirafu, Japan.
#53  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:01

Originally posted by Grill

No need to buy padded. Buy shell or very thin in high specs (at least 20,000/20,000) and just layer underneath. But hey, if you really want to play the snow bunny role, that's your thing.

For a lid just buy whichever one feels the most comfortable and fits your dome securely. What out for impact on the top of the ears as it will end up hurting the longer you have it on.

Girls who primp and play dress-up on the slopes get on my tits.

@Tiny- Don't get me started on their boots...

Oh shit, I think I accidentally agreed with you

Jump to Top
Tiny
a town called Alice
#54  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:05

Cracking idea, as Grill says get one that fits well, try on as many as you can and opt for the most comfy.
People should smile more
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#55  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:06
Haha, well ain't that a surprise.

I never rock anything less than XTR 2 layer, although most of my stuff is 3 layer (I'm a kit whore and have more than I could ever need). I'd definitely take 20k/20k over single layer Gore-tex (typically about 15k).
         Jump to Top
tequila
Chamonix
#56  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:11
I never seem to be able to find enough layers under a soft shell. Was wearing 5 base/mid layers at New Years under a lightweight (good quality high end) jacket and still didn't feel quite warm enough on the lifts.
         Jump to Top
Tiny
a town called Alice
#57  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:15

I never seem to be able to find enough layers under a soft shell. Was wearing 5 base/mid layers at New Years under a lightweight (good quality high end) jacket and still didn't feel quite warm enough on the lifts.

5 layers under your jacket and you were still cold??!!. How cold was it??!.

I've been in sub -30 temps and never struggled, on a really cold day I just wear a Helly Hansen Lifa top, a thin north face fleece top and my thick jacket....job done.

Oh,...and a beanie under my helmet!!.

T
People should smile more
         Jump to Top
tequila
Chamonix
#58  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:25
It was fucking freezing. While I was skiing it was fine, only my face got cold, and that was easily resolved with a thermal balaclava (no i don't care how I look on the slopes).
Unfortunately that was also the day my glove got too wet to put back on so I went all the way back down to get my spares (ever since I've carried spares with me).
So this time = warmer jacket (and lots of layers)
         Jump to Top
layzeeboy
Hirafu, Japan.
#59  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:26

Originally posted by Tiny

I've been in sub -30 temps and never struggled, on a really cold day I just wear a Helly Hansen Lifa top, a thin north face fleece top and my thick jacket....job done.

T

It's probably just because you are so manly tiny

Jump to Top
Tiny
a town called Alice
#60  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:38

Originally posted by layzeeboy

T

It's probably just because you are so manly tiny

You know something?, I think you may be right
People should smile more
         Jump to Top
tequila
Chamonix
#61  Re: mmmmmmm, 2008 skis  27 May '07 at 17:40

T
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18