< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  Wendy    On:  Wed 3rd October, 2012 at 15:14
spudski
depth's of despair
#18  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  11 Oct '12 at 18:31
In reply to techmonkey (Post #14)

Originally posted by techmonkey

Over the last few years I've heard good things about this brand too, in a bit of a cult way like Line had back a decade ago.

Sadly I've never managed to test any as even if they do participate in the Ski Test Tour the small brands only feature for one weekend, and I can never ski on a weekend...

Is that the Preacher you've gone for there spudski?
What influenced that choice over say the Director with the multi-side-cut technology/gimmick?

Yes the Preacher Techers'... Apparantly it has great floatation in powder but is also very stable on piste with good edge hold. After a bit of research...apparantly it likes to be driven hard with a slightly forward weighting...which I thought would suit my race style more...I struggle to get off the front of my boots. And ideal all rounder apparantly. That's what made me decide on it.
I took them in to have the bindings fitted this morning. I've never seen so many staff and customers drool over a pair of skis so much. I could hardly get out of the shop...
Wendy... Yes...they are certainly a head turner...just hope i can do them justice.
         Jump to Top
Wendy
France
#19  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  11 Oct '12 at 20:55
In reply to spudski (Post #18)
I'm sure you will, Mr Ski of Spud. Those babies do indeed love going fast on piste to get a good edge, so I'm sure your racing style will suit them perfectly.
Life in the French Alps: www.lefrancophoney.com
         Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#20  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  12 Oct '12 at 00:48
In reply to techmonkey (Post #17)

I'll assume you're talking about something else. Other than Armada and Libtech I've not seen any skis that taper in and out so much.

Nope, the '5-point-sidecut' - Atomic (Bentchetler and now Automatic), Rossignol (S7's have been out for years now) and Dynastar (new Cham range) just for starters, as well as 99% of the indies, Moment, DPS, Praxis, ON3P...
Edited 12/10/2012 @ 00:50 Revision #1
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#22  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  12 Oct '12 at 19:02
In reply to techmonkey (Post #21)

Fair enough, not denying they exist but it's hardly 'pretty much every' manufacturer.. I honestly haven't heard of those Indy brands, I've certainly never tested, sold nor passed a pair over a grinder... I'm used to considering K2/Line, Head, Salomon, Scott, Volkl, Movement, Fischer etc as market leaders so until they show an interest in a technology I have to ask if it's any good or just a niche thing.

Guess it's different depending on where you ski, but I wouldn't consider those brands as market leaders (in terms of offpiste skis anyway) - certainly not K2/Line (noodles), Head, Fischer (though everyone here loves their race skis, and their new Big Stix look nice, but hardly innovative) and Salomon (this season is the first time in a few years they've had a good line up - many of which do have some degree of taper!). Same with Scott tbh (though their Megadozer does have this shape, and the new Punishers look brilliant!) Voelkl and Movement make great skis, but not sure they're leading trends either (original gotamas were, and I really want to try the nunataqs). From what I can see, most of the big brands follow those indies (and Black Crows/Whitedot/Factionetc) in terms of shape (rocker profiles, reverse sidecut) and materials (DPS were the first to play with carbon by several years!), giving them a couple of years to prove the ideas first. Not surprising - it's hard to be more flexible/innovative when you're business model relies on selling huge numbers of skis, the offpiste market just isn't big enough.

I have to say I'm very convinced by the 5-point-sidecut. I bought a pair of Moment Bibby Pros a couple of seasons ago, thinking they'd be my pure pow skis, but have been amazed by their versatility - probably used them for 80% of my ski days last season. Combined with rockered tips/camber underfoot, they ski like much shorter/more responsive skis on piste, but in 3D snow the extra length adds a lot of stability and float without the hookiness of a massive shovel up front.
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
annaski
London
#23  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  12 Oct '12 at 19:15
In reply to Wendy (Post #1)
Wow! My boyfriend applied for these and has received an email saying he's got in! He lives in Germany and apparently they still had allocation left there. He's mega excited now. We are off to France to do our first season in December and were both planning on upgrading so the timing is great for him.

The only question is now which ones to get. He owns skis and has skied a fair bit in the 5 years he's lived out in Germany (he has a good selection of resorts within 2 hours drive) but neither of us know that much about the technicalities of skis. I also used to live there and we just went to Intersport and took their advice on what to get. Any advice for which would be suitable someone who is not a pro skier but is comfortable on all pisted runs and in the last year has started to get into the off piste (and plans to do lots more in the coming season)?

Thanks for the link Wendy and recommendations much appreciated. Feel a bit clueless reading up on them!

They look so pretty...
(I'm quite jealous)
         Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#24  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  12 Oct '12 at 19:48
Preachers are more traditional - will ski like a fat piste ski. Directors are more 'new school' - more surfy and pivoty in pow, smear turns rather than carve them. Preachers will be better on piste, personally I'd take the Directors for deeper snow or more messed up (sun/wind crust, consolidated pow, slush, etc) snow. I reckon Directors'd make a great everyday offpiste ski, Preachers better if you're 50% off/50% on. Redeemers are the big pow monsters (but are apparently really versatile). Ones for park, doesn't sound like he'd want the Ragnaroks...

How does he ski? Fast, slow, big turns, little turns, wants to surf pow or bounce around in it?

You should really ask the guys at Whitedot too, nice guys and very informative.
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
annaski
London
#25  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  12 Oct '12 at 20:36
In reply to clarky999 (Post #24)
Thanks very much for your reply Matt. He's been looking at the Preachers.
They look so big compared to our current skis! He skis pretty fast mainly with big turns though towards the end of last season he was getting them much shorter and tighter. Likes anything to do with powder! Probably 50% off 50% on is about right.

He's writing them an email now, I had the impression they will be very helpful.
         Jump to Top
clarky999
Innsbruck
#27  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  13 Oct '12 at 11:49
In reply to techmonkey (Post #26)

have been lucky enough to test them fairly extensively (trying to follow Seb Michaud around St Anton for one).

Nice!!
Matt Clark

A Brit Abroad

Jump to Top
Wendy
France
#28  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  13 Oct '12 at 22:35
In reply to clarky999 (Post #27)
I saw Seb yesterday! Okay, he was on the TV at Geneva airport doing rock climbing in La Clusaz as some promotion of La Clusaz showing their stars doing other sports. Loic Collomb-Patton was playing golf. Why not mini-golf I say.

Anyway, on a serious note, I'm glad I helped a few people get connected with Whitedot. Now, if only Whitedot would thank me with some complimentary skis. Looks like it'll be some cheap Factions from last year if I can find someone across the border in Switzerland to take delivery for me. Hmmm...
         Jump to Top
tallulajc
West Midlands
#29  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  23 Oct '12 at 11:51
Mr UPS delivery man just arrived with my Preachers ... Wendy you should defo get commission for the introduction.

Thanks to White Dot's Carl and Mark for the excellent customer service !!!!

They look awesome. Only a couple of weeks to wait ...
         Jump to Top
Wendy
France
#31  Re: Lovely skis at midnight  7 Nov '12 at 07:53
In reply to techmonkey (Post #30)
Wow - I've now lost count of the number of people who have Whitedot skis through this thread and my blog!

I took mine out in Tignes the other day and they coped with every condition I chucked at 'em (helped by SG's advice for how to ski properly off-piste).
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview