Laptop problems! //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  snowtech    On:  Mon 14th November, 2005 at 20:14
snowtech
#1  Laptop problems!  14 Nov '05 at 20:14
Ok, i know this isn't snow related, but it kinda is because I need to take my laptop with me and its not working propelly so I need to know....

I've been having lots of connection problems, My internet connection is randomly dropped, and sometimes it takes for ever to reconnect. I have tried a new modem, but still not good.
Also since installing SP2 it has been running very slow, log in and off is stupidly slow!
And I've just noticed that i'm missing 5gig of my harddrive, this might not seem much, but i only have 20gig, i'm sure it was there recently, but now its gone? I was originally in two portions, but me being me I merged them into one.
Shoud I reboot, and hope this solves my problems? Bearing in mind I have installed a fair amount of softwear and relevent updates, and I only have dial up, so it takes some time to download all this.
If I do reinstall, how do I do a deepclean off the harddrive, because last time i did this, i was still finding files from the old system, including nastys!

Thanks, and once i've done all this, whats the best program to use to copy all my dvds? Onto my external harddrive?
Happy is the man who can call today his own!
         Jump to Top
fraggle_rock
London
#2  Re: Laptop problems!  14 Nov '05 at 20:30
Do you mean re-install rather than re-boot?

Re-booting is turning your computer off then on again! a fairly trivial exercise!

your missing 5gig is either a "recovery" partition, where a copy of the OS etc lives which can be used using a disc supplied by the computer manufacturer. Did you really merge them, or simply re-format the whole disc the 1st time you re-installed? or simply the amount lost from formatting the disc (though 5meg from 20 seems excessive!)

For DVD "backup" DvdShrink is your friend.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm
         Jump to Top
belgian vince
just back from australia, already back in austria
#3  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 07:37
ops:
"There is no sense of possibility if there is no reality, but I could be wrong of course" - R. Musil
         Jump to Top
thedaftie
Inverness / Colorado
#4  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 08:14
Have you been running a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs? If not, you will have to bite the bullet, format your hard disk and reinstall XP from scratch.

XP does get slower booting up when you start installing a lot of software. A quick check you can do is to run MSCONFIG. Go Start->Run and type msconfig. Then click on the 'start up' tab and this will show you all the programs which have to be loaded on start up. A lot of these can be removed as they are not essential. If in doubt, google.

Another thing you can do is CTRL-ALT-DEL and look at the processes that are running in task manager after your system has booted/connected to the net etc. Try googling the names of the processes and you should find out if they are friendly/nasty and whether they are essential or not.

Also, when you have alot of programs running and not much RAM memory on the computer, virtual memory can slow things down a lot, especialy given that older laptops have slower hard disks. Virtual memory involves swapping stuff from hard disk to RAM and back again, and you want to avoid it. Buying and installing more memory can help but it is expensive.

The connection dropping sounds like a virus/spyware issue and the only guaranteed method of getting rid of it is a fresh install.

Hope this helps.
         Jump to Top
thedaftie
Inverness / Colorado
#5  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 08:16
DISCLAIMER : pĂ­ssing around with other stuff in MSCONFIG can break things, but deselecting start-up items if pretty safe.

If in doubt, get a pro to do it.
         Jump to Top
RidingMountains2
#6  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 10:44

Originally posted by thedaftie

Have you been running a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs? If not, you will have to bite the bullet, format your hard disk and reinstall XP from scratch.

Try runing a virus and spy/add ware scann. then remove all the nasty beasties that are clogging things up.

Also he is right if you don't know what you are doing in command prompt then dont do it!
         Jump to Top
Penniless_Playa
Where am I?
#7  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 11:15
this

Originally posted by Motorhead

Everything Louder Than Everything Else!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#8  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 11:19

Originally posted by Penniless_Playa

this

Is once again just one word, I'm apalled :no:
         Jump to Top
benpudney
Surrey want to be in the alps
#9  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 11:36
worth a try just make sure you have everything you want to keep

pudders
         Jump to Top
braders
Leeds / Whistler
#10  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 11:44
its all about the backup!!
Deux Points!
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#11  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 14:16
www.lavasoft.com - download and run ad-aware
www.grisoft.com - download and install AVG
www.zonealarm.com - downlaod and install Zone Alarm

After doing these, uninstall any Norton Anti-virus or Nortin utilities.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
fraggle_rock
London
#12  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 15:02
avg is okay but all the cool kids are using http://www.avast.com/ now
also as well as ad-aware get Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
         Jump to Top
snowtech
#13  Re: Laptop problems!  15 Nov '05 at 22:26
Guess I should have said at the start, I am running up to date anti-varius,anti-spy and anti ad wear also have sygate firewall, and I have done a number of sweeps and found nothing. As a result I have got a bit parinoid and run an online anti varius (Panda) again nothing.

I have checked all my drivers and they are all upto date, and working fine.

I did mean a reinstal of xp, not reboot. I did do this back in the summer, and it seemed to sort out a lot of problems i had with spy wear etc, but I have found a few files from the original install. The harddrive originally had a pation in it, and during reinstall I was given an option to remove this, so I did. I'm 90% sure I Had the full 20gig a week or so ago, but now i only have the 15.

I don't want to get out to france with a knackered system, and spend half my time throwing it at paper thin walls!
Happy is the man who can call today his own!
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#14  Re: Laptop problems!  16 Nov '05 at 08:35
Do you have auto hibernating enabled?
Have you held on to all your old restore points?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#15  Re: Laptop problems!  16 Nov '05 at 08:36
Oh, and you could try 4diskclean - download the trial version of it, and run the registry clean tool, and the duplicate file finder.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview