JUST TURNING UP //

Author
  Topic Started By:  jmcintosh    On:  Thu 27th August, 2015 at 22:57
jmcintosh
#1  JUST TURNING UP  27 Aug '15 at 22:57
So I find myself living at home with my parents in a village with no social life.

I was considering just turning up at various ski resorts in France or anywhere else in Europe and trying to find a season job. I have bar and retail experience and only speak English. (I've recently started learning some french)

Now.

Honestly, is this a good idea? What are the realistic chances of finding a job simply by turning up? Has anyone else tried this?

Would really appreicate some answers to these questions, as I'm honestly not sure if its a good idea.

Thanks
         Jump to Top
OLD MAN OF LECH
Administrator
TRAVELING
#2  Re: JUST TURNING UP  28 Aug '15 at 11:10
Anything is possible, BUT it's risky. Why have you not applied to any of the various companies that want bar staff for the season? If you are as experienced as you say and have a "winning" personality you should get fixed up. You will get accommodation, food, lift pass, equipment, insurance and some kind of uniform. All as part of the package plus a pittance of pay. Hurry up though, the recruitment process is well under way and you need to get your skates on. Good luck.
         Jump to Top
jmcintosh
#3  Re: JUST TURNING UP  28 Aug '15 at 18:23
In reply to OLD MAN OF LECH (Post #2)
Thanks for the reply. After applying for various bar and hotel jobs over the past month, I haven't really had much luck in terms of responses. Perhaps because 7 months bar experience isn't enough, or perhaps because of my lack of French.

I'm desperate to go on a ski season, so this is why I'm at the point of considering turning up unannounced.
         Jump to Top
OLD MAN OF LECH
Administrator
TRAVELING
#4  Re: JUST TURNING UP  31 Aug '15 at 17:17
Hi JM, Try the natives job fair if you can. Also Seasoaire Web pages as well as those on the Natives site itself. Lack of French will not be a problem if working for a UK tour ops company. You should also think about the other Alpine nations?
Good Luck
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort