Jobs in Whistler //

Author
  Topic Started By:  snowyowl    On:  Thu 19th January, 2006 at 22:37
snowyowl
#1  Jobs in Whistler  19 Jan '06 at 22:37
Hey there people, first time on this board, need bit of advice.

am gonna be in whistler for march and april and could really do with working to help keep mr bankman happy.(well, not happy, but less angry with me than he usually is)

anyway, been trying for ages to sort a working visa out but visa people say i need a job offer first and job people say i need a fooking visa first!!

does anyone have any advice on best way to get a visa(am currently filling out form for Bunac) or has anyone spent time in Whistler and is it possible to get jobs without a visa.

any advice would be much appreciated. take it easy.
         Jump to Top
braders
Leeds / Whistler
#2  Re: Re: Jobs in Whistler  20 Jan '06 at 11:37
Yeah you will need a visa to get a job im afraid. Being that Whistler is owned by Intrawest, most of the jobs will be through them, and to get a job with those, you need a Social Security number, which comes with your visa!

It is almost unheard of to get a written job offer for an international visa holder, because to give a written offer, they must first prove that there is no Canadian available who can fill the position. So as you can imagine, this only applies to skill jobs, and not really the sort of jobs you find in ski resorts!

As far as im aware the only way to get a visa would be through BUNAC. You can obviously go direct to the Canadian embassy, but the good thing about BUNAC, is that they make a living from dealing with them, so are obviously faster.

If you have already filled in your forms i would suggest sending them off, because my forms were processed 2 days after i sent them in, so you might not be get waiting too long!
Deux Points!
         Jump to Top
Jon on the Peak Chair
#3  Re: Jobs in Whistler  26 Jan '06 at 02:06
As Braders says you'll need to sort out a visa with BUNAC and not wanting to piss on your bonfire but you may find it trickier than you expect.

Plus Whistler is ruled by the mighty Intrawest and they are really strict on the whole visa and SIN card thing (social insurance number).

However..........

I was out there for 8 months and lived with two guys who had gone out with out working visa's, so its not all doom and gloom. I dont recommend it but lets say you do end up out there minus visa, you can get "work" with "no questions asked" shovelling driveways. Its back breaking stuff and you're up at the same time as the first lifties, but it pays for beer money and a few sticks of wax.

Have a look around town at the info centre and also at the Creekside supermarket notice board.

Good Luck
         Jump to Top
welshrach
#4  Re: Re: Jobs in Whistler  28 Jan '06 at 12:08
Hi all,

I have a question similar to snowyowls... I too am looking to get a working visa for Canada as I'll be in Whistler for February and March (no comments about my the short notice please!!!).

At 27 I'm no longer a student, so does anyone have a clue how I can apply for a visa as BUNAC is only available for students? Is my only option to go through the super efficient Embassy?!

Cheers for your help.
Rach
         Jump to Top
I love my AK Rockets
South East London - in a house that's collapsing
#5  Re: Re: Jobs in Whistler  28 Jan '06 at 12:29

Originally posted by welshrach

Hi all,

I have a question similar to snowyowls... I too am looking to get a working visa for Canada as I'll be in Whistler for February and March (no comments about my the short notice please!!!).

At 27 I'm no longer a student, so does anyone have a clue how I can apply for a visa as BUNAC is only available for students? Is my only option to go through the super efficient Embassy?!

Cheers for your help.

I'm pretty sure BUNAC isn't student only; they do an under 35s visa too... http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workcanada/

good luck
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort