International phone advice for France? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  tinamartin    On:  Wed 13th July, 2011 at 15:26
tinamartin
London
#1  International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 15:26
Hi,

Having never been on holiday for more than two weeks, I'm wondering what's best to do phone-wise when I work abroad (say France) so I don't end up with some monstrous phone bills.

So bearing in mind I'm tied in with Vodafone until December 2012 (my iphone is unlocked) my vodafone contract gives me free 25MB of data roaming per day, so I can use the free Apps/email/internet to keep in touch with people in the UK. But using my vodafone contract for calls/texts in France between workers and guests is going to be mega expensive. When I was in Austria last ended up making lots of calls and texts resulted in a 170.00 bill. Very ouchie.

So do most people get a 2nd phone and international sim for the calls/texts etc? What's the best network for France out there for the cheapest calls etc, of which is going to get a good signal in the mountains?

Would appreciate some advice,

Thanks
         Jump to Top
Nick_C
Stoke on trent
#3  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 16:32
Skype + free wifi

Have you got voda passport, you can also buy a frence sim over here on the internet. Sorry the links I looked at are on my PC (which is playing up atm) just google it. I did not bother in the end just got home to call me or skyped them.
What you will find you will need to to do is learn to curtail your rambling or face a heavy bill.
         Jump to Top
tinamartin
London
#4  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 16:47

Originally posted by techmonkey

If it's for work, then you should get a work one provided. It'll probably be locked in some pikey way so you can't call out on it to your mates (or anyone useful, such as guests, the bakery or the bus drivers), but people should be able to call you.

Depends what mountain you're in re the signal issues, no one network is great everywhere.

Some French operators do interesting deals if you bother to find out about them, Orange for example have something where if you top up 20€ a month you get 20 minutes of calls to another European country the next month (which could be handy for calling granny).

Hi,

haha I'll ask them if we get work phones, I'm guessing as a Rep we'd have to be making and receiving calls though so should be at their expense really?

I looked at Orange today, although found it hard understanding their French site - brushing up on my French as we speak lol. I did just find that Lebara do sims for 1cent per minute for international calls which seems pretty good hey.

I guess I can test the networks where I end up using my vodafone one then order a sim card to be delivered.. if they'll deliver to such places?

Thanks for the help
         Jump to Top
tinamartin
London
#5  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 16:59

Originally posted by Nick_C

Skype + free wifi

Have you got voda passport, you can also buy a frence sim over here on the internet. Sorry the links I looked at are on my PC (which is playing up atm) just google it. I did not bother in the end just got home to call me or skyped them.
What you will find you will need to to do is learn to curtail your rambling or face a heavy bill.

Hi Nick

I did have that but found it wasnt helpful in reducing my bills in holiday. 75p connection charge rinsed me in Austria in April :/

Skype and wifi is a good idea.. I am a massive rambler and social butterfly so think between that, what's app, and the wifi it might not be as bad as I think.

Thanks for your help too,
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#6  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 17:31

Originally posted by tinamartin

Thanks [/quote:5620bd7cd7]

Originally posted by tinamartin

Thanks for the help

[quote:5620bd7cd7="tinamartin"]Thanks for your help too,

TinTiners,

You'll be giving the Groper a coronary thrombosis.

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
tinamartin
London
#10  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 17:51

Originally posted by Boggart

TinTiners,

You'll be giving the Groper a coronary thrombosis.

I remain,

Boggars

haha oh we're on nicknames already huh

Sorry.. but I'm a polite gal
         Jump to Top
tinamartin
London
#12  Re: International phone advice for France?  13 Jul '11 at 18:00

Originally posted by techmonkey

If you're going to be a rep then you honestly don't get paid enough to be calling guests with your own money so it's pretty essential you get a work phone.

That said, Crystal used to have a thing where their phones could only call out on transfer day so if that still exists you might want a second phone to arrange your social life (admittedly, not essential in resort as you live in each others' pockets anyway). I've worked for other companies where a phone was provided with a monthly top-up which could be spent however we wanted but then it was our problem to buy more if needed. Worked nicely that.

You'll probably find your life becomes a bit to chaotic to be spending hours on the phone or internet to the UK, but I understand how it's hard to go from 24 7/7 connection to nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't be arsed with this ordering a SIM from a reseller in the UK lark, I can't help but think it's a rip-off when you can do it yourself in a shop in three minutes, but I can see the advantage if you don't speak the language. On that note, don't worry about not understanding the Orange or SFR sites - no-one does. Just hitch a lift down the hill on shopping day and go to local mobile shop to buy one (it'll be considerably cheaper than the tabac in resort!). p.s. Take a passport.

Yeah that's totally the thing, I won't like to be dipping into my own money for work calls considering the wages. It is Crystal funnily enough so wonder if they still do that, need to call them.. didn't get a chance today.

Still thanks for the insight on how life is out there, knowing me I'll still be facebooking everything for the first few weeks in excitement lol.. but will probs wear off..

Will do as all youz have suggested and find one when I'm out there then.. I'm just way too organised for my own good sometimes and wanted to try and get it sorted before I got out there.

Jump to Top
tinamartin
London
#3  Re: International phone advice for France?  4 Oct '12 at 12:40
In reply to elvis (Post #2)
lol..

I ended up with a French pay as you go sim last winter ontop of the work phone, didn't cost much to top it up each month.

Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens