I'm not English but can I still get work through natives.... //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  fighting_kite    On:  Wed 31st August, 2005 at 08:20
moj
#17  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 21:26

Originally posted by Bags

Originally posted by gadget

And every now and then I stop arguing about cricket and deign to make a reasonably helpful post.

yes which basically says: "Hello 22 year old aussie, come to London...NOW"

Hmmm... ulterior motive? ;-)

Bugger you. Actually I was just being helpful...

[size=9:f1544a94d0]If it was the ulterior motive thing I would've established the following first: sex/height/hair colour etc...

(With the first one perhaps being the most important gadgey - how can you have such ulterior motives when you don't even know whether they're a guy or not!?) [/size:f1544a94d0]

better alteria motive: another one to laugh at

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
user206
#18  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 21:36

(With the first one perhaps being the most important gadgey - how can you have such ulterior motives when you don't even know whether they're a guy or not!?)

Well i didn'yt think you were that bothered... name implies male (though girls can fight too i can tell you......)

Err... if female: suddenly my sensible hat comes on and i stop myself.... mas:
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#19  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  1 Sep '05 at 06:00
Thanks guys. but it sounds like I'm fuked. I'm currently working/studying in China at the moment and there is no way i can get to London in time for the interviews. I mean i could maybe go now but i'm out of cash and without a job+accom already set-up in Europe I would be rooted.

Any other ideas....

I've never boarded outside of Aus/NZ so I can't compare Perisher.
Perisher has nothing on NZ but its definetly better than threadbo and I hear its better to work in perisher than threadbo too. The the thing with Aus is that its just not that high/cold so if its a good season its great but5 if its not the ice can be a real c&%t
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#20  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  1 Sep '05 at 11:39

Originally posted by fighting_kite

Any other ideas....[/quote:cc809c4d9e]

I think it's worth researching exactly what job you'd want to do, and then contacting a few companies directly and explaining your situation. They probably won't offer you a job without an interview, but if they like the sound of you they'd probably bear you in mind as a reserve i.e. from January onwards. That might be your best bet anyway - going out after all the quitters have left.

Umm, anyone else??

[quote:cc809c4d9e="fighting_kite"]Perisher has nothing on NZ but its definetly better than threadbo and I hear its better to work in perisher than threadbo too.

I SO want to go to Perisher. Have you been to Jindabyne? I watched that film Somersault...such an awesome film. The scenery looks amazing...*dreams*
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#21  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  1 Sep '05 at 12:15
Bags,
Try dreaming of what you know you'll achieve.

http://www.thetignesscene.co.uk/
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#22  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  1 Sep '05 at 13:17

Originally posted by Kenzie

Bags,
Try dreaming of what you know you'll achieve.

http://www.thetignesscene.co.uk/

Mwahaha. Thanks Kenz.

TBH have read most of them already though because I'm really that cool....

And hey, who said I couldn't achieve going to Perisher!? I've got nearly a year off!

Such pessimism...
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#23  Re: Pleeeeaasse.....  16 Sep '05 at 09:49
Ahhh What to do.....I'm gonna try contacting the companies directly but it seems pretty unlikely i will be able to get a job by December. Can anyone help me out? hehe I guess its too early to appeal to peoples happy mountain spirit but just in case...I have retail, kitchen, bar and receptionist work experience but i can't cook....Still, with all that mountain air and the confidence gleaned from snowboarding i'm sure i could learn very quickly.

Also what is the situation with European snowfields. I get the impression that getting employment there is quite different to Aus NZ where you just apply to the one employer at each resort.

Yeh I have been to Jyndabyne. The first time I ever went snowboarding I stayed at the trailor park there. I was too young to go out at the time...
the place is just ok, like most other small Aussie tourist towns.

If you do end up at the trailer park, stay away from the hire shop there. Its fucking cheap but last time they gave me this horrible pink wooden snowboard about an inch thick and with no edge what so ever. It was my first time so i didn't know any better. Only on the last day when I saw my instructor cut himself on his board did I realize that something was wrong...However, the board proved very resilient when it came to running down the children in the MILO babysitter school who lined there way across the whole damn slope. Ahh memories, now I'm even more keen to go to Europe.

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#24  Re: Re: Pleeeeaasse.....  16 Sep '05 at 09:58

Originally posted by fighting_kite

Also what is the situation with European snowfields. I get the impression that getting employment there is quite different to Aus NZ where you just apply to the one employer at each resort.

Yup, it's different - each Euro resort is just a town, with privately owned hotels/restaurants/pubs, not just one corporation running the whole resort.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#25  Re: mmm...  17 Sep '05 at 09:05
Looks like I HAVE to have a UK NI NO. and I can only get one in the UK..great. By the way, what do all the other people in Erope do who are not from the UK?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#26  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  17 Sep '05 at 09:08
The french normally work for french companies and the scandies normally work for scandy companies. Most of the aussies I have met have been travelling around europe anyway and set themselves up whilst over here or have mates who already have contacts. It is possible to turn up and find a job... not guaranteed though
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#27  Re: Thinking  18 Sep '05 at 12:10
I might just have to turn up...risky though. Anyone know where a good
place to just turn up is?

Fuk the UK NI NO. I can't think of a more stupid number...
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#28  Re: running out of ideas  18 Sep '05 at 12:24
Actually come to think of it, many people tell me i'm quite good looking.
I wonder if I need a UK NI NO. to work as a gigolo on the slopes?

The lifestlye would be quite similar to a chalet host, but with better hours and more money.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#29  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  18 Sep '05 at 12:33
the larger resorts have more jobs but are generally more expensive. Depends how much money you can stump up to survive on before you get a job. Another problem is that almost all accomodation requires a large amount of money up front. If you then find a job that has accomodation as part of the package you wont get any of this money back and ytou will probably be on a small wage. Unless you are hired by a french registered company that has to abide by french law (at least more than UK companies do). Some french employers will even offer you relatively good pay and accomodation too. So it is possible to be much better off. However speaking french would really help this. Many aussies dont...

It is a tricky one to sort out but it is possible and worth it if it comes together...
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#31  Re: Finished  18 Sep '05 at 12:43
Thanks Mista, despite what everyone says this info is much harder to get than just doing a site search or a google search.

So in Europe, there are many snow villages and the UK based comapnies cater to the English speaking guests and the French based companies cater to the French speaking guests? etc etc ...

Yeh I don't speak French. Geez, its pretty risky isn't it? But the rewards if I pulled it off would be farking awesome.
         Jump to Top
fighting_kite
#32  Re: ?  18 Sep '05 at 12:44
how to fake being British?
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort