I'm not English but can I still get work through natives.... //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  fighting_kite    On:  Wed 31st August, 2005 at 08:20
fighting_kite
#1  I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 08:20
Hello
I'm wondering what the best way to do a season in Europe is if you are not
European. Thanks to my Grandfather I have an Irish Passport so visas's is not a problem. But I am Australian and there is no way I can make the interviews for the companies listed here. I could apply directly but most of the resorts have the CV section of their websites in their Native language and I only speak English.

Also as far as getting jobs goes, do you need to have a lot of experience
within the field you are working. For example being a Chalet host sounds quite cool bit my cooking is very bad. What about bar work? I have no experience but I'll be 22 by the time this season starts...
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#3  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 08:48
Fighfing-kite,
You're 22, Australian, and not living in London? You must be the only one!
I think you'd have to chance it, and come over here.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#4  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:27

Originally posted by Kenzie

You're 22, Australian, and not living in London? You must be the only one!
I think you'd have to chance it, and come over here.

Yeah I'm inclined to say I agree. If you're coming halfway across the world to do a ski season anyway, maybe just come a bit earlier and crash in London from October-ish. It seems most of the big TOs recruit people right up til the beginning of the season, and I guess they carry on recruiting throughout it for reserve staff etc...

I'm sure you could send a load of applications out and try and schedule all your interviews really close together. Certainly if you state when you apply that you're only available for interview from certain dates (ermm, because you're in Australia!) then they'll take that into account.

As for jobs, like Dino says, just think about what you're good at. Applying for jobs is the same principle whatever the job. You just need to prove they need you and how great you'd be, so capitalise on your skills etc. Mostly it's about presentation, confidence and friendliness. They'll train you up so provided you're enthusiastic and make enough of an effort for the interview, your actual experience (or lack of it) shouldn't hinder you too much.

And if none of that works you'll still be in London which is a) home to about 5 squillion Aussies so you're likely to have at least someone you know out here, and b) a pretty cool place to be anyway!
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
#5  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:35
Bags,
I agrred with all your post, until you got to b)
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#6  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:39
G'day kitey,
How's Perisher?

I agree with what Bags says.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sleepy
#7  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:44
I agree too
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
#8  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:47

Originally posted by WTFH

G'day kitey,
How's Perisher?

I agree with what Bags says. [/quote:16f3e1f3dc]

[quote:16f3e1f3dc="Sleepy"]I agree too

Why are you sucking up to Bags all of a sudden? Looking for cheap accommodation in Tignes?
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#9  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:49

G'day kitey,
How's Perisher?

I agree with what Bags says. [/quote:63b26d3f99]

[quote:63b26d3f99="Sleepy"]I agree too

Why are you sucking up to Bags all of a sudden? Looking for cheap accommodation in Tignes?

That too!

No, it was more about disagreeing with you!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sleepy
#10  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:52
Everyone was saying "I agree.." I felt left out so I wanted to say it too.

But I do agree.
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
#11  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 14:59

G'day kitey,
How's Perisher?

I agree with what Bags says. [/quote:4ff67f3183]

[quote:4ff67f3183="Sleepy"]I agree too

That too!

No, it was more about disagreeing with you!

Well, I knew you'd be doing that ...
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#12  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 15:43

G'day kitey,
How's Perisher?

I agree with what Bags says. [/quote:8b6410d73b]

[quote:8b6410d73b="Sleepy"]I agree too

Excellent. It's cos I is great though innit...

And every now and then I stop arguing about cricket and deign to make a reasonably helpful post.
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#13  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 15:46

Originally posted by Bags

And if none of that works you'll still be in London which is a) home to about 5 squillion Aussies so you're likely to have at least someone you know out here, and b) a pretty expensive place to be anyway!

Couldn't agree more!
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#14  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 16:05

Originally posted by mista

And if none of that works you'll still be in London which is a) home to about 5 squillion Aussies so you're likely to have at least someone you know out here, and b) a pretty expensive place to be anyway!

Couldn't agree more!

Typical response from a tight fisted Scot...
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
user206
#15  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 19:42

And every now and then I stop arguing about cricket and deign to make a reasonably helpful post.

yes which basically says: "Hello 22 year old aussie, come to London...NOW"

Hmmm... ulterior motive? ;-)
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#16  Re: I'm not English but can I still get work through natives....  31 Aug '05 at 21:19

Originally posted by gadget

yes which basically says: "Hello 22 year old aussie, come to London...NOW"

Hmmm... ulterior motive? ;-)

Bugger you. Actually I was just being helpful...

[size=9:1dcfe4b5e8]If it was the ulterior motive thing I would've established the following first: sex/height/hair colour etc...

(With the first one perhaps being the most important gadgey - how can you have such ulterior motives when you don't even know whether they're a guy or not!?) [/size:1dcfe4b5e8]
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort