Holiday during season (escape the alps) //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  rorybw    On:  Sun 18th September, 2005 at 20:53
rorybw
#1  Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 20:53
I believe many seasonaires get mid season blues during (believe it or not) the middle of the season.

I was just wandering if any large ski companies (Inghams/MW/Crystal/etc) allow any of their staff a week off?

I expect the answer is without a doubt no; however if you don't ask.......you don't get.
         Jump to Top
user206
#2  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 20:57
Not a chance mate.

And going all the way home is a bit drastic for mid-season blues. A day trip to a nearby town for a change of scene is often enough....
         Jump to Top
moj
#3  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:02
I thought we already had a joke thread?

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#4  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:05
cos you get a holliday

ONE DAY A WEEK
         Jump to Top
moj
#5  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:07

Originally posted by Fat-Russ

cos you get a holliday

ONE DAY A WEEK

and the other 7 months of the year

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#6  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:20
Hmmmm, it is a good point though... majority of employers have us on English contracts, thus they are obliged to give you paid holidays under employment law!! Did my Law degree years ago so not too sure where you stand.... still you could argue you are on one big holiday when out there!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
moj
#7  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:23

Originally posted by Jonnie

Hmmmm, it is a good point though... majority of employers have us on English contracts, thus they are obliged to give you paid holidays under employment law!! Did my Law degree years ago so not too sure where you stand.... still you could argue you are on one big holiday when out there!!

Jonnie

True, but unfortunately I think they'd just fall back on their usual stance which is "Byeee, next disposable employee please"

Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#8  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:24
They get round that one some give you an extra half day a week(First choice) or they pay it up it's called end of season bonus
         Jump to Top
user206
#9  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:27

thus they are obliged to give you paid holidays under employment law!! [/quote:acab685411]

And you'll get it, as extra pay in your pay packet. (ie. "paid" holiday when you get home") Pretty cheeky mind as only a small part of our remuniration is money and the Accom/food/gear isn't bumped up with holday pay

[quote:acab685411="Jonnie"]still you could argue you are on one big holiday when out there!!

No.... you can't.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#10  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 21:39

Originally posted by gadget

thus they are obliged to give you paid holidays under employment law!! [/quote:25576127db]

And you'll get it, as extra pay in your pay packet. (ie. "paid" holiday when you get home") Pretty cheeky mind as only a small part of our remuniration is money and the Accom/food/gear isn't bumped up with holday pay

[quote:25576127db="Jonnie"]still you could argue you are on one big holiday when out there!!

No.... you can't.

This may have to change the french are tightening up on all the regs
5 years or so and it may all be different
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#11  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  18 Sep '05 at 23:56
Not that im worried about it, but having studied law they have an obligation, bonus isnt holdiay pay.. if you want to take days off mid season you might have a right to... anyone thought of starting a union!! Hmmm, maybe we should think about it!!! My contract mentions nothing about holidays!!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
user206
#13  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  19 Sep '05 at 00:04

if you want to take days off mid season you might have a right to...

Sorry mate, think you must have slept through the law lecture here. You have the right to 4-weeks paid holiday a year, but have no absolute right to choose when this is. If a company chooses to give you 1.66 weeks pay at the end of a 5 month season and tell you to consider it holiday pay, they can.
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#14  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  19 Sep '05 at 00:13
ahh bur moj.... no spacific reference to holidays in your contract and when they are taken and no mention of holiday pay at the end of the season either.. i.e. mine means you can take em when you like within reason.... sh*t I shouldnt be saying this coz im gonna be managing staff who are gonna be demanding a holiday now.... seriously though has there ever been an attempt to get a union going?? Think it should be considered!!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#16  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  19 Sep '05 at 07:53
If you want time back in the UK (why, when you've just bust a gut to get out to the mountains?), break your leg.
Though companies will give you time off for compassionate reasons.
         Jump to Top
benykeny1
#18  Re: Holiday during season (escape the alps)  19 Sep '05 at 08:53
I thnk one extra problem besdies, the evil tour ops, is that by the time mid season rolls around, it's also extremely busy, and therefore the companies can't spare staff, so you can save it all up for the end of the season, when the punters (and snow) have gone.
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort