help required - last minute job applications //

Author
  Topic Started By:  toffee    On:  Fri 25th November, 2005 at 12:45
toffee
#1  help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 12:45
hello

I'm looking for a job in the alps for the winter and managed to leave it until the beginning of november to start looking. I still haven't found anything and am starting to get a little worried.

I think the main problem is that I'm only 18 (ruling me out of most jobs) and have no bar/cooking/catering/vaguely relevant qualifications. I do have Alevels and a place at Uni, but these are obviously not of much use. I do, however, speak fluent French (my mum is French), so that has given me some hope of finding something.

I've been looking on natives and skiconnection and have applied for most of the jobs for which i am qualified, and have some contacts in Meribel and some other places who have been handing out my CV but I've had no luck so far. I am on file with a couple of places who said that they might be able to give me something when people start dropping out, but I'm not sure that I could rely on this.

It would be very nice if someone who knows what the best course of action for me would be or of anywhere that might still have vacancies suitable for me. If I don't find anything I will probably go out there at the very beginning of January to try and find some work, as I have heard that lots of people drop out/are fired then. Does anyone think that I have a realistic chance of finding something if I do this?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
         Jump to Top
chili
Courchevel
#2  Re: Re: help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 12:53

Originally posted by toffee

hello

I'm looking for a job in the alps for the winter and managed to leave it until the beginning of november to start looking. I still haven't found anything and am starting to get a little worried.

I think the main problem is that I'm only 18 (ruling me out of most jobs) and have no bar/cooking/catering/vaguely relevant qualifications. I do have Alevels and a place at Uni, but these are obviously not of much use. I do, however, speak fluent French (my mum is French), so that has given me some hope of finding something.

I've been looking on natives and skiconnection and have applied for most of the jobs for which i am qualified, and have some contacts in Meribel and some other places who have been handing out my CV but I've had no luck so far. I am on file with a couple of places who said that they might be able to give me something when people start dropping out, but I'm not sure that I could rely on this.

It would be very nice if someone who knows what the best course of action for me would be or of anywhere that might still have vacancies suitable for me. If I don't find anything I will probably go out there at the very beginning of January to try and find some work, as I have heard that lots of people drop out/are fired then. Does anyone think that I have a realistic chance of finding something if I do this?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

You're a bit late in the season now, but all is not lost!

A lot of people do drop out after a while, and it is very likely you'll be able to get a job in the New Year or soon after. Just ask TO's to put you on their reserve list. Have you tried Scott Dunn i think they're still looking for people and other companies on Natives?

I'd personally stay in the UK, save up a bit more dosh, and hold tight for a phone call. Keep calling TO's and reminding them who you and the fact you speak French will be an added bonus

Stay hopefully toffee mate & good luck

PS My mama's a frog too - it can come in useful!
         Jump to Top
blankuser
#3  Re: help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 12:56
go to www.equity.co.uk and ring the office, i think they are still missing some staff, tell them you speak french!
         Jump to Top
toffee
#4  Re: help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 13:19
thanks, will do!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 13:20
Yep, as they say - just ring and send CVs to everybody and see what happens!!
         Jump to Top
Jonathan
London
#6  Re: help required - last minute job applications  25 Nov '05 at 14:27
yeah the fact that you can speak French puts you leaps and bounds over a lot of people
"Hi I'm Plod. I'm a professional Ski Bum"

05/06 - Courchevel
06/07 - St Anton
07/08 - Whister
08/09 - Peisey
09/10 - Val d'Isere
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort