hello everyone - some advice please //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  really_wide    On:  Thu 29th September, 2005 at 13:38
really_wide
#1  hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 13:38
A big hello to everyone on this forum, I been readin it a fair bit over the last few weeks as Ive finally made the decision to quit the day job and do my first season. Man it feels good !!

Anyway, I thought some of you may be able to help me out with a bit of advice.

I havent yet applied to any TOs but am going to start tonight.
I was wondering if its worth telling a couple of porkies on my CV and applications. I have no bar \ cleaning \ cooking experience. What do u guys think?
In fact, am I really likely to get offered a job this late in the year anyway ?

I'm also planning on booking a flight out to somewhere like Geneva in case I dont get offered a job. I was thinking of heading to Meribel around the 24th November. .
Does anyone think I would be better off going to another resort to try and find work \ affordable accomodation or can you recommend meribel for "just turning up in" ??

Oh yeah, one more thing. Can anyone point me to a website where there are people looking for flatmates for the season? Or offer me a bed themselves?

PS. to anyone working in or managing a bar, im a kick ass d&b DJ. Also play a good selection of funky house and garage and increasingly cheesy pop tunes (U know u love it!!). Im planning on bringing some choons out with me. Where can I get DJ work?
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#2  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 13:55
Bar work - go get a job behind a bar in the UK. Then you can put on CV that currently working as barstaff.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#3  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 13:57
check out the replies on this thread and have a guess if the majority of people on here will advise you to lie on your application forms...

tbh who doesn't want to be a dj in a ski resort? Bit of competition on this front I reckon. You'd better be good.
         Jump to Top
Fubar
Brisbane
#4  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 14:01

Originally posted by

Oh yeah, one more thing. Can anyone point me to a website where there are people looking for flatmates for the season?

www.planetsubzero.com

On job front etc hve a look through previous threads and there's loads or read more on the natives site.

Gd luck
www.linkedin.com/in/lukejackson

Live life to the edge, ski hard, party hard and ignore the hangover
         Jump to Top
really_wide
#5  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 14:36

Originally posted by mista

check out the replies on this thread and have a guess if the majority of people on here will advise you to lie on your application forms...

tbh who doesn't want to be a dj in a ski resort? Bit of competition on this front I reckon. You'd better be good.

he he, that threads so funny. I needed a laugh today. Being in England is really starting to do my head in.

Anyway, i was only thinking of putting down some extra jobs like cleaning hotel rooms (whats that job called?), or bar experince at uni..... but if its really not recommended then pls let me know b4 i make a complete prat of myself

On the DJ front, I can send out demo's or may put some up online this weekend. If anyone CAN help then gi's a shout.

Cheers for all your replies.
         Jump to Top
moj
#6  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 14:44

Originally posted by really_wide

Anyway, i was only thinking of putting down some extra jobs like cleaning hotel rooms (whats that job called?), or bar experince at uni..... but if its really not recommended then pls let me know b4 i make a complete prat of myself

Those jobs are so low skilled I really don't think experience matters, at the moment you really just have to worry about finding a company that is still hiring.

As for djing... when sam stops starting boarder vs skiing arguments in other threads he's the best person to ask

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#8  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 15:21
nice one, Dino
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#9  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 15:29

Originally posted by moj

As for djing... when sam stops starting boarder vs skiing arguments in other threads he's the best person to ask

dj work's a tricky one. By now the clubs will have their resident djs sorted so I think a full time dj job will be near impossible to find.
workin in d!cks I'm on the same hours as the rest of the staff, and am supposed to work those hours, hence in general can't let other people dj in my place. and unless you're a name that'll draw the crowd in, there's no point them paying you more instead of having me in as normal if you see what i mean.
if you just want a go cos you miss djing then there's a chance you might be able to have a go from time to time at the end of the night (when I play dnb ). This would depend on how well you get on with the managers, and me obviously. If we let every dj who wanted a go play it'd be a nightmare, cos there's an incessant stream of people coming up with sh*t along the lines of "yeh mate yeh i used to dj at cream y'know what i mean used to play to 3000 people lets 'ave a go yeh" and i really can't be bothered with them cos they're normally pr*cks. Also most of the people in the club are totally wasted liabilities and I wouldn't let them anywhere near the kit!
you never know tho, there may be times when a fill-in is required, and there are some special nights run eg in conjunction with competitions etc that if you knew the organisers you could possibly get in on.
comps also have djs on, some bars eg jacks have nights on from time to time where you might get to play etc etc. Last season the Doron Pub had a dj night on wednesdays, but he brought his own kit along.

I can't really speak for places other than meribel tho to be fair, there may be a lot more opportunity in say Val D or deux alpes for Dj work (more small bars that would let you play), this is just how it appeared last season.
I think it's down to gettin demos out everywhere, meeting everyone and getting on with people.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
moj
#10  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 15:39

Originally posted by sam_c

Last season the Doron Pub had a dj night on wednesdays, but he brought his own kit along.

He had BONGOS!

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
duncs
Clapham, London
#11  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 15:56
I dont think experience matters so much for any jobs other than ski hosting and nannying as for both of these people are putting their trust in you to know what you're doing. Everything else is definitely blaggable. My mate applied to be a chalet boy at MW and got made restaurant supervisor just because he was post rather than pre-uni. He had no restaurant experience whatsoever!
We are all young but we can learn....
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#12  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 16:01

Originally posted by moj

Last season the Doron Pub had a dj night on wednesdays, but he brought his own kit along.

He had BONGOS!

that wasn't the dj, that was the other guy.

and man I hate that sorta thing. Might as well just get some Jazz Flute action and be done with it.

what i meant was the dj brought his own decks, mixer, speakers etc
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#13  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 16:03

Might as well just get some Jazz Flute action and be done with it.

What's wrong with that? One of the Natives team is well known for blowing on a flute...
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
moj
#14  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 16:16

Originally posted by moj

He had BONGOS![/b:a5d7402a75]

and man I hate that sorta thing. Might as well just get some Jazz Flute action and be done with it.

[b:a5d7402a75]BONGOS!

Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#15  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 16:24

Originally posted by moj

Originally posted by moj

He had BONGOS![/b:ce3429e930]

[b:ce3429e930]BONGOS!

a good point, well made
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#16  Re: hello everyone - some advice please  29 Sep '05 at 18:24

there may be a lot more opportunity in say Val D.

Nope, sounds very simlar.
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview