Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Shred    On:  Thu 4th October, 2012 at 19:41
Shred
#1  Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season?  4 Oct '12 at 19:41
Hi there,

I'm thinking of doing a season in Queenstown next summer but may only be able to make it out there mid-July while the season starts beginning of June.
Has anyone done a season in Queenstown? Were there jobs available throughout the season?

I have done a season in Europe as an assistant chef in a 30 bed chalet and had a few bar jobs as well so probably go for something like that.

Any other knowledge bombs on working there would be awesome as well.

Cheers

Si
         Jump to Top
spudski
depth's of despair
#2  Re: Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season?  4 Oct '12 at 19:57
In reply to Shred (Post #1)
I was out in Queenstown this Season for just over a month.
What sort of work would you be looking for?
Queenstown has lots of bars and Restaurants and Accomodation. So staff always needed their.
It's very busy and actually doesn't feel like a ski Resort.
At least 40 mins up to the ski fields....Coronet being the nearest.
Lots of seasonaires i met had two jobs.
The people i did meet who had come out in July/August struggled to find work and cheap accomodation.
Never the less...it's an amazing place. Beautiful scenery and loads of things to jump out/off of. Skiing a bit limited compared to Europe. Although a lot cheaper.
Be prepared to party and drink a lot...it really is a party town, but not in a bad way.
A very cool vibe...unlike some pretentious European Resorts.
         Jump to Top
Shred
#3  Re: Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season?  4 Oct '12 at 20:42
In reply to spudski (Post #2)
Thanks! Hopefully try and get a bar job so I can work in the evenings and shred during the day I'm pretty sure everyone is after that kind of job though so will probably end up working as a chef, especially if the pay is better.
Would you recommend buying a second hand car and then selling when I leave?
Also how much was your net spend for the whole trip? I know I'm going to have to save up to get flights/visa ect, but did you manage to earn it back while you were there?
Are there snow parks in all of the resorts?
         Jump to Top
spudski
depth's of despair
#4  Re: Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season?  5 Oct '12 at 09:03
In reply to Shred (Post #3)

Originally posted by Shred

Thanks! Hopefully try and get a bar job so I can work in the evenings and shred during the day I'm pretty sure everyone is after that kind of job though so will probably end up working as a chef, especially if the pay is better.
Would you recommend buying a second hand car and then selling when I leave?
Also how much was your net spend for the whole trip? I know I'm going to have to save up to get flights/visa ect, but did you manage to earn it back while you were there?
Are there snow parks in all of the resorts?

I was fortunate to not have to work while i was out their.
Some people i hung out with, owned cars...but most just used the public transport.
Queenstown is a lot cheaper than most 'Resorts'.
Prices are relative to living in the Uk, even with the exchange rate difference.
Hostels their are very good and cheap. Just out of town is a supermarket (15 mins walk) that is a lot cheaper than supermarkets in town.
There isn't a snow park at Coronet, but there is at the Remarkables...although the latter has a smaller skiing area.
A few people saved their money instead of going out every night. They have since moved on to Thailand and using that money to enjoy its delights.
So it is possible to save...
         Jump to Top
Ed_p
#5  Re: Getting a job in New Zealand mid-season?  18 Feb '16 at 09:26
Hi guys, I have been in Thailand for holiday years ago and loved it so much. I am looking for intern abroad opportunities to go back there. I live in the UK and found this website: http://www.bunac.org/uk/intern-abroad and was wondering if there are any other sites like that one that offer internship opportunities or proper jobs? Maybe you have some ideas. I would appreciate if you could help me.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens