Author
  Topic Started By:  Taylor    On:  Sun 18th September, 2005 at 20:39
WTFH
Surrey
#34  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 08:53

Originally posted by moj

Originally posted by techmonkey

Originally posted by moj

maybe I meant adviSe... maybe I've given loads of adviCe, just no adviSe... so quick to bloody judge

You've lost the plot. :P

it has been suggested

You mean there's a plot?
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
baglady
#35  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 14:23
Best thing is to get winter work in resorts such as Morzine, Chamonix or Les 2 Alpes as they both stay open throughout the summer and bars prefer to keep the same people on if possible. The first so even more so as they are proper villages rather than purpose built resorts.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#36  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 14:31

Originally posted by baglady

Best thing is to get winter work in resorts such as Morzine, Chamonix or Les 2 Alpes as they both stay open throughout the summer and bars prefer to keep the same people on if possible. The first so even more so as they are proper villages rather than purpose built resorts.

Morzine still has a few people milling around but not many of the season bars open
Les Gets only one bar open full time and two part time but again no season bars

Don't know if bar Robo open must drive down and find out
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#37  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 15:36
I don't think you can carry on doing seasons forever unless you move into a higher position in the company. But then it's not really a season as such, it's a full time career.

I mean, it's fun doin seasons, but let's be honest there isn't much of a pension plan, and unless you want to settle down in a 1-bedroom sheltered housing apartment in Reading you're gonna struggle to get a mortgage.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#38  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 15:49

Originally posted by sam_c

I don't think you can carry on doing seasons forever unless you move into a higher position in the company. But then it's not really a season as such, it's a full time career.

I mean, it's fun doin seasons, but let's be honest there isn't much of a pension plan, and unless you want to settle down in a 1-bedroom sheltered housing apartment in Reading you're gonna struggle to get a mortgage.

Who needs a pension plan, by the time you are ready to give up wook you will need to be minted prob better being poor at least they put a roof over your head and feed you.

No you can't do seasons forever but it's worth taking a few years out before you have to go with ski saga
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#39  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 15:57

Originally posted by Fat-Russ

... prob better being poor at least they put a roof over your head and feed you.

That's what you think!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#40  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 16:09

Originally posted by WTFH

... prob better being poor at least they put a roof over your head and feed you.

That's what you think!

That's what 50% of the country hope.
Most will be working till they drop
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#41  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 16:13

Who needs a pension plan

people who don't want to live in sh*t accommodation on f*ck all money and die cold and alone because they couldn't afford to raise a family and now can't even afford the heating bills.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#42  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 16:33

Originally posted by sam_c

Who needs a pension plan

people who don't want to live in sh*t accommodation on f*ck all money and die cold and alone because they couldn't afford to raise a family and now can't even afford the heating bills.

plenty of people like that now, i'm lucky I have a house paid for in the uk
and a pension plan it's the poor sods in their 20's and early 30's that can't afford to buy and will have no back up in their late years something has to change in the UK.

from what i have seen most people who carry on doing seasons are either sorted or go on to rent/own chalets and run their own show.
Most season workers do one or two seasons then return to normal life in our rat race.
Plenty of my friends my age think that the youger gen should get out of the UK and have a good time before having to battle through life worrying about money and material things.

I guess this will form part of a cycle. 20's wont be able to afford to buy a house or have a family so the skill base of the country falls demand on housing falls so prices fall and wages rise, then it will all start again
         Jump to Top
Taylor
#43  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 16:57
Good God.... sounds like we hit a nerve !! I think it is very difficult to know what to do. Is is a battle joining the race, living in the city and working your ass of for very little reward. Having done seasons and lived abroad makes that comparison even worse.

I think that I will forget the pensions and the clever jobs and be in an enviroment which i enjoy.... big sacrifices with that too hey ....
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#44  Re: Full time seasons ??!  19 Sep '05 at 17:14
it's what you make it.
Either open your window and look at the trafic and people racing around or looking over a stunning view of the mountains, know the one i would have.
However we are covered in cloud at the mo and it is bloody cold.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#45  Re: Full time seasons ??!  20 Sep '05 at 09:23

from what i have seen most people who carry on doing seasons are either sorted or go on to rent/own chalets and run their own show.
Most season workers do one or two seasons then return to normal life in our rat race.
Plenty of my friends my age think that the youger gen should get out of the UK and have a good time before having to battle through life worrying about money and material things.

I agree with you that we should get out and have fun for a bit, i'm off for my 2nd season this year. Too many people go straight into jobs only to sack them off 3 years later to go travelling - i'd rather get it out of my system.

I have to say tho i don't think most people who carry on doing seasons end up owning a chalet or running their own show. I mean, how the hell are you supposed to save up and buy a chalet on a seasonnaire's wage? they don't just give them out after like 10 seasons.
I think that's why most people only do a couple - then they go join the rat race, earn a load of cash, maybe be able to buy a chalet and relax in later years!
         Jump to Top
Fubar
Brisbane
#46  Re: Full time seasons ??!  20 Sep '05 at 09:30

Originally posted by

Too many people go straight into jobs only to sack them off 3 years later to go travelling - i'd rather get it out of my system.

soo true loads of my mates hve done it

Ski whole year around by doing Europe & then doing one to New Zealand or Argentina (My friend reckons both are class) during our summer (their winter). Thats my plan for this year.
www.linkedin.com/in/lukejackson

Live life to the edge, ski hard, party hard and ignore the hangover
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#47  Re: Full time seasons ??!  20 Sep '05 at 09:31
You thinking about las lenas in Argentina?
         Jump to Top
Fubar
Brisbane
#48  Re: Full time seasons ??!  20 Sep '05 at 09:37
Havn't looked into it massively am waiting for my friends reports back, think he is in Bariloche at mo. Thou he hasn't replied to e-mail yet. Hve u been to Arg?
www.linkedin.com/in/lukejackson

Live life to the edge, ski hard, party hard and ignore the hangover
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort