France or Canada? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  SmallBlackDog    On:  Thu 25th August, 2005 at 13:02
SmallBlackDog
Scotland
#1  France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:02
So im booking flights to get me out of Scotland over christmas/newyear but I'm stuck on destination. Its either whistler or chatel. I just got back from chatel 5 weeks ago and Im having *major* withdrawal symptoms. But then something tells me the riding might be better across the pond.

I've snowboarded in morzine/les gets many moons ago and to be honest the snow was crap. Really very crap. Eddie at le tunnel in chatel assures me this was a freak bad winter...

I've never snowboarded in canada before but was in whistler a few summers ago downhilling. Seems pretty cool.

Where would you lot go?

Im not planning on working, just riding.
Small Black Dog
         Jump to Top
arno
#2  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:17
Money no object, I'd pick Whistler over Chatel. I wouldn't pick Whistler over everywhere in Europe however
         Jump to Top
SmallBlackDog
Scotland
#3  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:19
Where would you rather go in europe (france?) instead of whistler.

Money is basically no object.
Small Black Dog
         Jump to Top
bonzai
Squamish, Whistler & Vancouver
#4  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:28
Obviously just my personal take on this ... I spent many years skiing & boarding mainly in France (a bit in Austria too). I had been boarding in the US (Tahoe) a few times and although it was fun and I had good snow it just didn't compare to the likes of Les Trois Vallees, Tignes, etc. I just found the vertical too limiting.
Various people had said to me for years that I should try Canada but I admittedly just ignored them thinking it couldn't be much different/better.
However after a season in Meribel I decided it was time to try something else & also I wanted to do an instructor training course (I wasn't a fan of BASI) so I looked at other options ... that was 4 years ago, and now I am planning to go back to Whistler for my 4th season. I'm kinda biased now having bought a home over there ... I'm not necessarily saying the runs are better than anything in Europe, but for me the whole package is a better one ... I love being able to ski/board in the trees and the amazing powder (OK not all the time, but I have had some incredible times in Whistler) and access to the steeps & the whole vibe of the place. Having been there this July for some mountain biking I know what you mean about that too ... amazing!

So in case that wasn't quite blatently obvious enough ... I would say give Whistler a go. You may just think it's great or you may never want to leave
Time for my medication please nurse
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#5  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:32
Whistler. More likely to get a good powder day, and once you get over the cost of flying there, the apres will be a LOT cheaper.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#6  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:45
I would personally go Whistler, but it did have a bit of a bad season last year, not nearly as much snow as previous years, but wouldn't think that would make much difference next year......

Chatel Xmas New Year - could be schetchy (sp!) in Chatel as it and the portes du soleil are quite low......
         Jump to Top
bonzai
#7  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 13:53
Worth mentioning that Xmas/New Year doesn't seem to be quite as crazy busy in Whistler as I've experienced in various French hot spots such as Val D'Isere.
Also I don't want to mention (in case I bring on bad luck) that it has snowed heavily on Xmas Eve for the last 3 seasons meaning an excellent & quiet days riding on Xmas Day ... so just pretend I never said anything La la la la la
         Jump to Top
arno
#8  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 23:19

Originally posted by SmallBlackDog

Where would you rather go in europe (france?) instead of whistler.

Money is basically no object.

Money no object, in France, I would probably phone up my friend who is a mountain guide (not so much of a friend that I don't have to pay him however ) and tell him which week I was coming. Then book flights to Lyon or Geneva. I would phone my mate up a few days before and ask him where would be best to meet. At that point I'd find some accommodation.

If it was down to me, I'd probably go to the Oisans region and ski La Grave, Alpe d'Huez, LDA. But that's me - I don't really care too much about nighlife so long as there's somewhere which will do me a good steak in the evening. I like skiing off piste away from the crowds.

Whistler is a brilliant all rounder as others have said - the skiing is great fun. Really challenging without being too committing (in the sense of being miles from a patroller), the parks are supposed to be pretty good (that's not my thing tho) and the village has something for everyone. Deffo better than Chatel I reckon!
         Jump to Top
arno
#9  Re: France or Canada?  25 Aug '05 at 23:21

Originally posted by bonzai

Worth mentioning that Xmas/New Year doesn't seem to be quite as crazy busy in Whistler as I've experienced in various French hot spots such as Val D'Isere.
Also I don't want to mention (in case I bring on bad luck) that it has snowed heavily on Xmas Eve for the last 3 seasons meaning an excellent & quiet days riding on Xmas Day ... so just pretend I never said anything La la la la la

That's good to hear - I'm going to be in Whistler for New Year!

Christmas is actually quite quiet in French resorts where there aren't too many British though
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#10  Re: France or Canada?  26 Aug '05 at 09:30

Originally posted by arno

Christmas is actually quite quiet in French resorts where there aren't too many British though

don't know if anyone has thought this but even the really brit resorts like Courchevel have seemed quieter over the last couple of years around Christmas. I think people are getting less trusting of the early season snow?
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
bonzai
#11  Re: France or Canada?  27 Aug '05 at 17:41

Originally posted by arno

Valid point. Same would be true though if heading to one of the lesser known Canadian resorts ... hopefully I can test this theory on a road trip to Revelstoke or the likes this winter ;-)
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort