First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  Phillips_bass    On:  Sun 16th December, 2007 at 19:44
Phillips_bass
Hertfordshire
#1  First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  16 Dec '07 at 19:44
Hey all,

I have just learnt to board in the UK and am looking to go on a week long holiday after the new year but where should i go?

are there some cheap package deals out there? How much should i expect to pay for a good week on the slopes?

is a group booking a good way to go to save some pennies?
         Jump to Top
will_uk
Manchester, UK
#2  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  18 Dec '07 at 23:28
For a mega cheap trip look into late deals with tour operators.
If you like going independent look into flying with a budget airline like easyjet, jet2, bmi baby and so on. Use public transport or a transfer bus to the resort and stay in a hostel.

I reckon you could get a week away for £30 (flights including tax) £20 (maybe? ballpark guess) transfer and £60 for accomodation at least. That just leaves your pass and food.
My first time on a snowboard was on a Crystal package that 3 of us booked onto about 4 or 5 days before leaving - can't remember how much (it was in Feb 1999) but it was pretty cheap too.

As for what resort? Depends on what kind of riding you want - can't help you on that front - I tend to just say something like "Chamonix evrey time!!!" beacue I'm in love with the place. I'll try others... soon. Really I will.

Maybe try posting about resort for your style in the Community Banter or Q&A boards.
Chamonix - gotta love it.
2008 season here I come!
         Jump to Top
siy
Leeds
#3  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  18 Dec '07 at 23:43
if your not too bothered about night life and just want the boarding then i recomend les arcs, its big enough to get to grips with proper snow without crashing into people on a tiny piste!

the nightlife isnt too bad there but its not amazing

i went to courchevel last year and it cost £400 all inc

im off to val d isere on the 26th of jan and its costing me £600 all inc but thats because its a really nice hotel and val is expensive!!!
but if you think about how much your gonna spend on food (breakfast lunch and dinner) then you will probably spend that anyway

i'd say the average is about £400 and if you are thinking of going to val then you can get way cheaper deals than that one

on the other hand if your not bothered where you stay then just get a hostel, they are really cheap but obviously you dont get the mod cons of a hotel

europe is deffo the way to go though if its your first holiday, its cheap enough and the snow at the moment is awesome!!

hope that helped, anymore questions just ask and let us know where you ended up

Originally posted by Tiny

Yep, I'll meet you in the 'Business Class Lounge' for some pre flight c&^k.
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#4  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  19 Dec '07 at 10:07
If you are all beginners, there's little point in going to a resort with a huge ski area - you pay heaps for a pass you'll never properly use.

I'd recommend Andorra (also has a cracking and good value night life) or Bulgaria
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#5  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  19 Dec '07 at 13:47

Originally posted by mickworld

I'd recommend any holiday with [u:c7cfae72f2]SKIWORLD[/u:c7cfae72f2]

Mickers,

Nothing like a bit of free advertising is there.

I remain,

Boggars

P.S. How long before the Mainframe Norman deletes this post as Spam?
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
will_uk
Manchester, UK
#6  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  19 Dec '07 at 17:13

Originally posted by mickworld

If you are all beginners, there's little point in going to a resort with a huge ski area - you pay heaps for a pass you'll never properly use.

I'd recommend Andorra (also has a cracking and good value night life) or Bulgaria

I meant to mention that too...
I've never been to Bulgaria but have heard good things about both the cost and the snow.

Andorra was where I first strapped a board under my feet so I've got good memories of that place. I went to Pas de la Casa with Crystal (the trip I mentioned in my earlier post) and had a blast. From what I remember there was a fair bit of choice of pistes (with one seriously annoying flat bit just over the ridge from town - that's where I bust my wrist 3 days in - annoying) - There's a couple more towns I've heard good reports too, Andorra la Vella being one, and Soldeu being the other.

If I hadn't stumbled across Chamonix I'm pretty sure I'd have been back there since.

Also - I had a great time in a resort called Risoul back in 2000 (the first Snowbombing) - as I remember the runs were all manageable and we had some nice snow too - that was my first full week of riding (after the 3 days til injury in Andorra) and I didn't find much that I struggled with. No idea what prices are like there as I went on a package that included club entry, accommodation, lifts and all the rest.
Got some really sweet memories on that trip too. Haha
Chamonix - gotta love it.
2008 season here I come!
         Jump to Top
Ian
South America then New Zealand !
#7  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  28 Dec '07 at 22:28
Andorra is good, small enough so you wont get lost (never good on a first trip) and big enough for something a little different when you get better. Livigno is good for beginners too, they seem to be the two cheapest you'll find (that ive seen anyway) tax free too which is nice
- www.mypinkvest.com - PINK VEST :: The travellers northern star[url=http://www.skibum.tk][/url]
         Jump to Top
cimares
Kent
#8  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  3 Jan '08 at 16:22
I'd recommend La-Plagne, You can get a village pass that covers a reasonable area that encompasses some good runs for beginners. The area is big enough that the slopes don't get too crowded.

If you have the money, go for a chalet break, get ski school for the mornings and see if they do a combined ski school /Ski pass as they tend to get good discounts with the lift company. You also get to see more of the resort than just the travelator slopes as a decent instructor should take you around. You may have the benefit of meeting up with similar people in your chalet.

I've been with the same company (mentioned above..grin) each year for the past 7, never paid more than £320 for flights, transfer accom and Chalet board. They and most other company's have a late deals page that shows their current availability. If you're not fussed where you stay, then it's worth not booking till about 2 weeks before departure.

If you do book a late deal though, for gods sake don't tell the people in your Chalet that paid brochure price.. we let it slip the first year and they seemed to think they were entitled to everything and we should get the basics! Just because we waited till the price dropped £350 from brochure! Won't do that again!
You can't polish a turd, But you CAN roll it in glitter!
         Jump to Top
Plooka
Birmingham, UK
#9  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  2 Jul '08 at 20:16
1st ever snowboarding holiday, and not to expensive, 2 best options I would say would be Andorra (is it still a tax haven)?

Probably number 1 choice would be bankso in Bulgaria - features in my top 10 ski resorts of all time as reasonable and not too massive! Plus they have an excellent lift system

Frenchie
http://www.Plooka.com
Get on the Piste!
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#10  Re: First Snowboarding Holiday-where to go?  3 Jul '08 at 09:57
Andorra is quite a lot more expensive than it used to be - however, when last there (2005) it was still excellent value for money
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort