Does Age Really Matter?!...... //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  mabaline    On:  Thu 18th August, 2005 at 10:19
mabaline
#1  Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 10:19
Hey Guys!
Ive been trying to apply to lots of jobs but cant because most of them have age limits such as minimum 22 yr old applicants.
Anyone Know any decent places to wrk if ur 19?!

Cheers a Mil X
         Jump to Top
Fubar
Brisbane
#2  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 10:24
Welcome to natives. U will probably gets lots of replies suggesting prostitution etc but being sensible for once, most companies hve jobs for staff who are under 22. I'm 21 & got offered jobs with Inghams, skiworld, Thompson and Tops. I met people who were 18 & got job offers as well. While u may not be able to rep you should be able to be a chalet host, KP or other job. So apply and enjoy your season. U will find loads companies either on this site or by contacting them directly
www.linkedin.com/in/lukejackson

Live life to the edge, ski hard, party hard and ignore the hangover
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#3  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 10:34
quite a few bars employ 18yr olds upwards, they did in meribel anyway
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#4  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 10:34
i would ignore some of the age limits, if you think you have all the other criteria for the job then there is no harm in trying. They are mainly there to deter people who really have no idea and wouldn't be able to do it regardless of age..... If you can prove you have an idea of what you will have to do and are responsible etc etc then there is no harm in applying and seeing what happens.....

Like furbar says, the larger ops - crystal, thomson, first choice, total, esprit etc often take younger staff, so would try them! oh yes, and skiworld - all have chalt hotels so have places for KPs, bed maker/dinner servers etc all definatly possible if 19!!!

I did first season at 18 and ran own chalet boyf was assitant chef at 18 rather than 22 which the limit was - it is MOSTLY to do with your ability - so get sending CVs and see what happens!! Good luck!!!
         Jump to Top
mabaline
#5  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 11:33
Cheers guys,
Ive started applying for the above mentioned jobs.
I really should get a job.....Im so qualified it hurts
But seriously theres another problem.....Im from Irealnd.....So id imagine interviews nd the like will be difficult.Is anyone in the same situation or know of anyone in the same situation?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#6  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 11:45
That could be difficult for interviews as they are mostly around the UK.
Almost definatly have to fly/boat over for interviews, but you could get them all in a couple of days and just do the rounds. Most of the larger ops have interviews all over the UK so check and you could pick the places that suit you best!!!!
         Jump to Top
Hazyfantazy
London
#7  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 11:51
My sister is currently in the throes of interview season. She lives in Glasgow and is spending a serious amount of time and money flying or getting the train down to London and Brighton for interviews. The bigger companies hold interviews all over the country, but Ireland is pretty unlikely. Most companies are based dahn sarf, so that's where the interviews tend to be. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end if you get the job you want though.
Living life for the story
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#8  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 11:52

Originally posted by mabaline

Cheers guys,
Ive started applying for the above mentioned jobs.
I really should get a job.....Im so qualified it hurts
But seriously theres another problem.....Im from Irealnd.....So id imagine interviews nd the like will be difficult.Is anyone in the same situation or know of anyone in the same situation?

Is that Northern Ireland or the Republic?

I ask because most companies will want to pay you directly in pounds sterling into a UK bank account. If you're from the Republic (and therefore have a Euro bank account), it will be worth your while setting up a sterling account.
         Jump to Top
mabaline
#9  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 12:35
republic (dublin)....settin up a sterling account shouldnt be a problem tho!
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#10  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 12:42
Some of the bigger companies may have Irish sister/subsidiary companies (Crystal certainly used to, not sure now that they are part of the TUI group). If so, you may potentially be able to be interviewed in Dublin?
         Jump to Top
user10
#11  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 12:42
Also, you'll probably need a National Insurance number. You can get one if you're from Ireland, but it's a pain. I worked last year with 2 Irish blokes who (if memory serves - don't take this as set in stone!) had to go to Glasgow to be 'interviewed' (i.e. turn up) for theirs. It might take a few weeks.

Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#12  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 13:20

Originally posted by mickworld

Some of the bigger companies may have Irish sister/subsidiary companies (Crystal certainly used to, not sure now that they are part of the TUI group). If so, you may potentially be able to be interviewed in Dublin?

Was thinking of that too - pretty sure it is still going, at least it was last year - could be worth ringing crystal......
         Jump to Top
mabaline
#13  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 13:21
wow Id be really interested to know if companys had sister companies in Ireland,How would I find that out?
After application wen should you be expecting a responce?BTY
Thanks for all the info!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#14  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 13:27
its www.crystalski.ie

there is no answer to that question!!
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#15  Re: Does Age Really Matter?!......  18 Aug '05 at 13:28
but having had a quick look there seems to be no direct recruitment on there. maybe best to ring crystal (www.crystalski.co.uk) and seeing what you can find out...

Pretty sure they are the only ones....
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort